Local time: 16:23
German to English
+ ...
May have spoken too soon! Nov 29, 2005

Eñaut Urrestarazu wrote:

Lstanton wrote:

Eñaut Urrestarazu wrote:

Thanks for your help!
I'll try the defragmentation and try to save the TM on another partition to see if it works.

Thks, Robert, for your great help!

Hi Eñaut,
I have had this same very annoying problem for over a year now and have recently contacted SDL (new owners of Trados) customer service (I had already been in correspondence with Trados about Version 6.5)about it who have basically said that there is a limit on the size of memories and I would need to get the server version of Workbench to solve it. However, reading the discussion in this Forum, I thought I would try loading the memory from a different hard disk (connected via our three-machine network)and to my surprise the memory now loads even though there is no more space on that disk than on my local machine. So I reckon the problem might be solved by installing a new hard disk or by some sort of partitioning of the existing hard disk. The large memory I have loaded has over 820,000 units.
Paul

Thanks a lot, Paul. I think I tried to put the TM on a separate hard disk but it didn't work. I'll try to create a new partition only for that.

Mar Brotons
Mar Brotons  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Having the same problem Mar 27, 2006

I'm getting the same error message "Error 8 not enough storage is available to process this command" when attempting to open a 272MB TM.

I have defragmented the hard disk, but this hasn't solved the issue.

I was wondering if Eñaut managed to solve this problem or if anyone else has any other suggestions.

ITtranslations
ITtranslations
Seychelles
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Couldn't solve it Mar 27, 2006

I've tried to install the TM on a separate hard disk, I defragmented the hard disk but no way.
Trados support finally aknowledged me version 7 can't support big TM's (about 200MB).

To be able to work with a big TM, you need TM Server...

I really think that's one of the worst decision Trados has made. Moreover now when the TM's are getting bigger and bigger...

Mar Brotons
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for your quick reply, Eñaut! Mar 27, 2006

Shame the news are not very good. I only purchased Trados last December, thinking it would be an worthwhile investment. Let´s hope we don´t encounter too many huge TMs that mean lost job opportunities, because there is no way I am buying the TM server.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:23
English to German
+ ...
Possible workarounds Mar 27, 2006

Mar Brotons wrote:
...because there is no way I am buying the TM server.

In DVX I have never encountered such an error, it would rather slow down when the TM is too big.

Another workaround could be to export and edit the TM to reduce its size by deleting dispensable entries. This could be done in Access or in a special software to edit TMs (I don't remember its name), or a bit less comfortably even in Trados 6.

Mar Brotons
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not sure I can do that Mar 29, 2006

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I don´t seem to be able to do anything with the TM. I suppose I will have to ask my customer (who owns the TM) if they can reorganise the TM or edit it to make it more manageable.

ITtranslations
ITtranslations
Seychelles
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
COncordance Mar 29, 2006

I've never tried it but maybe you could make a pretranslation (or ask the client to do it) and afterwards use an empty TM to translate. In the background you could use your big TM for concordance. Maybe this way, you could get somthing out of it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impossible to open a big TM because of "insufficient storage space"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »