Thread poster: Johan Venter
Johan Venter
Johan Venter  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:31
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 13, 2005

I have Trados Freelance 6.5 and I'm translating tables in Word, but the client has some very specific requirements. I was given the data in two columns. The first column contains the source sentences and the client wants to have the target sentences in column 2 so that both the source and the target are available for easy reference.

Is there any way I can do this translation effectively with Trados?

Thank you in advance.

Johan

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Copy and paste Jun 13, 2005

Hi Johan,

A simple way is to copy/paste the first column into a new Word document, to translate it normally with Trados, to clean up the file and to copy/paste the translated text into the second column.

HTH,
Sylvain

[Edited at 2005-06-13 12:26]

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:31
Danish to English
+ ...
two columns Jun 13, 2005

I remember having the same request a few years ago. I translated the project and made duplicate files, naming one for 1 and the other for 2. Then I cleaned up #1 with one language combination and then cleaned #2 with the opposite language setting. I my case it was EN>DA and DA>EN. Then I combined the 2 cleaned files. As far as I can remember, it went pretty smoothly.

As Sylvain wrote, about copy/paste. The columns were worked on in separate documents and when the main docume
... See more
I remember having the same request a few years ago. I translated the project and made duplicate files, naming one for 1 and the other for 2. Then I cleaned up #1 with one language combination and then cleaned #2 with the opposite language setting. I my case it was EN>DA and DA>EN. Then I combined the 2 cleaned files. As far as I can remember, it went pretty smoothly.

As Sylvain wrote, about copy/paste. The columns were worked on in separate documents and when the main document was finished, I inserted the two columns.

[Edited at 2005-06-13 12:28]
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
copy to 2nd column, mark 1st untranslatable Jun 13, 2005

venter wrote:

I have Trados Freelance 6.5 and I'm translating tables in Word, but the client has some very specific requirements. I was given the data in two columns. The first column contains the source sentences and the client wants to have the target sentences in column 2 so that both the source and the target are available for easy reference.

Is there any way I can do this translation effectively with Trados?

Thank you in advance.

Johan

Simple: Just copy the original text to the second column and then apply the "DO NOT TRANSLATE" paragraph style to the first column. Trados will recognize this and not touch the first column.

However, there are some things to consider:
- Only do this if the text in the table is unformatted (i.e. all in one font, size, etc., otherwise translate as usual, then use copy & paste to put together original + target columns.
- If the style name does not yet exist, just create it. No matter how the formatting is, as long as you get the name right, Trados WILL recognize text formatted using this style as untranslatable.

HTH,
Benjamin

Johan Venter
Johan Venter  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! Jun 13, 2005

I'll get to it straight away.

Waleed Mohamed
Waleed Mohamed  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 03:31
English to Arabic
+ ...
How to apply "Do Not Translate" paragraph style? Nov 10, 2005

tectranslate wrote:

Simple: Just copy the original text to the second column and then apply the "DO NOT TRANSLATE" paragraph style to the first column. Trados will recognize this and not touch the first column.

Hello Benjamin,

Could you please tell me how to apply the "DO NOT TRANSLATE" paragraph style to certain part of text, knowing that I a beginner with Trados?

Thanks for your help!

Waleed

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating with tables in Word

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »