How to import existing memories into Trados 6.5.5 ?
Thread poster: Jakobson
Jakobson
Jakobson
Local time: 20:38
English to French
+ ...
May 4, 2005

Hello,

I have recently bought Trados freelance 6.5.5.

A client has sent me a technical translation with an existing memory attached to it which should help me respect the terminology and enhance my productivity.

Hence I must integrate said memory to Trados. I have tried to do this as follows, but to no avail :

File > Import > set the different options (maybe this is where the problem lies, even if I think I've attempted them all)

I
... See more
Hello,

I have recently bought Trados freelance 6.5.5.

A client has sent me a technical translation with an existing memory attached to it which should help me respect the terminology and enhance my productivity.

Hence I must integrate said memory to Trados. I have tried to do this as follows, but to no avail :

File > Import > set the different options (maybe this is where the problem lies, even if I think I've attempted them all)

I have also tried to change the .txt bit into .tmw, but that won't do it either.

This is a Wordfast memory by the way, though I don't think it makes any difference.

Could anyone be kind enough to advise me on how to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Can you describe your problem in more detail? May 4, 2005

Hi Jakobson,
Can you please describe where exactly the process fails?

Do the language codes match precisely, or could it be that the languages in the import file differ from those in the TM you're trying to import into?

Best regards,
Ralf

Jakobson
Jakobson
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The memory does not seem to have been integrated even if it says so May 4, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Jakobson,
Can you please describe where exactly the process fails?

Do the language codes match precisely, or could it be that the languages in the import file differ from those in the TM you're trying to import into?

Best regards,
Ralf

Hello Ralf,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

What I am trying to do is integrate this memory to another memory that already is on my Trados. When I do the routine procedure (File>Import etc), all seems to work fine.

The bottom bar of Trados reads as follows : Import finished successfully. 0 TU's read in 1 seconds: 0 updated, 0 added, 0 invalid.

The problem though is that when I translate my document, I won't receive any propositions which already exist in the imported memory (some of them I have searched and found in the .txt file, and even if they are 100% matches Trados won't recognize them). Hence I guess the memory has in fact not been imported.

The language codes of my existing memory are US-EN > BE-FR. I am not quite sure what they are in the imported memory though : the segments in the .txt file all have the US-GB code in front of English segments and FR-BE in front of French segments.

I hope I don't sound too confusing...

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Language code mismatch May 4, 2005

Hi again,
What I am trying to do is integrate this memory to another memory that already is on my Trados. When I do the routine procedure (File>Import etc), all seems to work fine.

The bottom bar of Trados reads as follows : Import finished successfully. 0 TU's read in 1 seconds: 0 updated, 0 added, 0 invalid.

Which means nothing was imported - it's therefore no surprise that Trados cannot recognise any matches.

The language codes of my existing memory are US-EN > BE-FR.

Are you certain about this? If anything, I would expect them to be EN-US...

I am not quite sure what they are in the imported memory though : the segments in the .txt file all have the US-GB code in front of English segments and FR-BE in front of French segments.

You answered your question yourself: you're trying to import a British English to Belgian French file into a US English to Belgian French memory.

Try to activate the Check matching sub-languages box in the import dialogue; if that doesn't do it, change the language tags in the import file from EN-GB to EN-US.

Best, Ralf

Éric Cléach
Éric Cléach  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
English to French
The language codes in your .txt have to match your TM May 4, 2005

Hello,

I am not sure I am the right person to help you, as I am a sort of newbie with Trados as well, but I think that to ensure a correct import of the TU's (in the .txt) in your TM, the language codes have to be exactly the same.

What I would do, after having backed up the original TXT, of course, is that I would make a Search & replace in the TXT, replacing all the codes that do not match the TM description...

Not sure about that, though !

R
... See more
Hello,

I am not sure I am the right person to help you, as I am a sort of newbie with Trados as well, but I think that to ensure a correct import of the TU's (in the .txt) in your TM, the language codes have to be exactly the same.

What I would do, after having backed up the original TXT, of course, is that I would make a Search & replace in the TXT, replacing all the codes that do not match the TM description...

Not sure about that, though !

Regards.
Collapse

Per Riise (X)
Per Riise (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Wordfast TM May 4, 2005

The first obstacle is the language settings, as mentioned. In addition, ff it's a Wordfast .txt you won't be able to import it. Check that it's in TMX standard.

Jakobson
Jakobson
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It still does not work.. May 4, 2005

All,

Thanks for your tips, but unfortunately they haven't paid off.

I have activated the "check matching sub-languages" box, but to no avail.

I have changed all the GB-US codes (quite a hybrid sort of code if you ask me : is there such a thing as British American?) into EN-US codes, again to no avail.

And according to Per Wordfast memories cannot be imported into Trados...Maybe this quite simply is the source of the problem?

... See more
All,

Thanks for your tips, but unfortunately they haven't paid off.

I have activated the "check matching sub-languages" box, but to no avail.

I have changed all the GB-US codes (quite a hybrid sort of code if you ask me : is there such a thing as British American?) into EN-US codes, again to no avail.

And according to Per Wordfast memories cannot be imported into Trados...Maybe this quite simply is the source of the problem?

Regards,

Jakobson
Collapse

Jakobson
Jakobson
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What's a TMX standard? May 4, 2005

Pardon my ignorance, but what is TMX standard?

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TMX = Translation Memory Exchange May 4, 2005

Pardon my ignorance, but what is TMX standard?

TMX is the industry standard for the exchange of translation memory data - details can be found here.

HTH, Ralf

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Export to TMX in Wordfast May 4, 2005

Jakobson wrote:

Yes, I definitely think so. Ask the person who sent you the TM to export it to TMX (a standard exchange format for translation memories). Whoever created the TM should be able to do that for you.

HTH.

Sonja

Jakobson
Jakobson
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TMX May 4, 2005

Thank you for your responses.

As I am running out of time, I have started translating using my old technical TM only. The client told me there will be other similar texts in the future, so being able to integrate the existing memory would definitely come in handy. I shall ask him if he can export the TM to TMX.

Regards,

Jakobson

isantiesteban
isantiesteban
Local time: 12:38
English to Spanish
Download wordfast Feb 5, 2006

Well, this is an old thread, but since I found it while having a similar problem I think this comment might help someone else.

Disclaimer: I am only starting using these tools.

To import a wordfast .txt memory in Trados, i did this:

1. Downloaded an old free version of Wordfast from this location: http://www.wordfast.org/index.html (As I understand, this site is n
... See more
Well, this is an old thread, but since I found it while having a similar problem I think this comment might help someone else.

Disclaimer: I am only starting using these tools.

To import a wordfast .txt memory in Trados, i did this:

1. Downloaded an old free version of Wordfast from this location: http://www.wordfast.org/index.html (As I understand, this site is no longer affiliated with the creator of Wordfast, so it might be questionable to use this).

2. I installed Wordfast and selected the .txt as the working memory.

3. I exported the working memory in .tmx format. You can follow the instructions available here (http://rhodes.globat.com/~wordfast.net/know.php?ToDo=view&questId=38&catId=3) but it is fairly easy to figure out.

4. Import in Trados.

[Edited at 2006-02-16 15:27]

[Edited at 2006-02-16 15:27]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import existing memories into Trados 6.5.5 ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »