Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
I recommend subscribing to forum threads, to keep a record of posts that might otherwise disappear!
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:23
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Feb 10, 2022

I highly recommend subscribing to forum threads, since this is a good way to have a copy of forum posts saved in your email program that might otherwise disappear if they get removed from view, … for whatever reason.

Michael

philgoddard
Gerard de Noord
P.L.F. Persio
sindy cremer

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:23
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Highly recommended Feb 10, 2022

Just posting a comment, because pushing the Agree button doesn't push the thread to our inboxes.

Cheers,
Gerard

Michael Beijer
philgoddard
P.L.F. Persio

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The relevant forum/post tracking settings can be found here: Feb 10, 2022

c
https://www.proz.com/dashboard/forum/?sp_forum_mode=tracking_forums
https://www.proz.com/dashboard/forum/?sp_forum_mode=homepage_forums

My Gmail archive is full of interesting bits of site history that were quickly relegated to the shadows.

philgoddard
P.L.F. Persio

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
And I recommend not contributing. Feb 11, 2022

Lots of discerning posts disappear. Site policy. Done to the gogs.

philgoddard
Barbara Carrara
P.L.F. Persio

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
What worries me... Feb 11, 2022

is members disappearing along with their posts. I keep my bag packed, waiting for the knock on the door in the middle of the night.

[Edited at 2022-02-11 07:56 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Losing the thread Feb 11, 2022

Michael Beijer wrote:

I highly recommend subscribing to forum threads, since this is a good way to have a copy of forum posts saved in your email program that might otherwise disappear if they get removed from view, … for whatever reason.

Michael

At some point, relatively recently, it seems that Proz decided to restrict the number of pages that are visible and many threads have disappeared, never to be seen again.

I suppose there are server problems about storing so much old data, but prospective new users will not see the breadth and extent of the discussions that have been taking place over the years.

In my case the ability to see all those old threads was a big factor in my decision to sign up as a paying member.

P.L.F. Persio
sindy cremer

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No thanks, I like to keep my inbox like a show home Feb 11, 2022

And anyway, is there really anything here worth storing?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What is censorship to some is maintaining good order to others Feb 11, 2022

Some forum rules are enforced quite strictly, whereas others are enforced only when things become hairy. This is true of the way most online forums operate, by the way.

The rule that you're not allowed to discuss moderator actions in the forum, is one of the latter: it is often tolerated even though strictly speaking there is a rule against it. This can result a nasty surprise to members who push the boundaries, having forgotten that it is actually against the rules, when their pos
... See more
Some forum rules are enforced quite strictly, whereas others are enforced only when things become hairy. This is true of the way most online forums operate, by the way.

The rule that you're not allowed to discuss moderator actions in the forum, is one of the latter: it is often tolerated even though strictly speaking there is a rule against it. This can result a nasty surprise to members who push the boundaries, having forgotten that it is actually against the rules, when their posts get removed.

[Edited at 2022-02-11 14:37 GMT]
Collapse

writeaway
P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Well, yes Feb 11, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

The rule that you're not allowed to discuss moderator actions in the forum, is one of the latter: it is often tolerated even though strictly speaking there is a rule against it. This can result a nasty surprise to members who push the boundaries, having forgotten that it is actually against the rules, when their posts get removed.

[Edited at 2022-02-11 14:37 GMT]

Well, yes. Now that you come to mention it, there has been at least one thread that I am glad has been removed and will never be seen again. But most of the threads are about serious or interesting problems and are often very interesting to read, especially for the neophyte Prozian who (like me at the time) hasn't made up his mind as to whether joining Proz would be a good thing, or not.

[Edited at 2022-02-11 16:37 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Makes also sense ... Feb 11, 2022

Michael Beijer wrote:

Michael

... in order to log posts made by members who deliberately insult others by purpose, just to erase the post in the next minute and counting on the effect, that you (the member to be insulted) has subscribed to that forum and will be insulted without breaking the forum rules. We have one proz member among us, allegedly living in a capital of an European country and who is a master of this method.

[Bearbeitet am 2022-02-12 08:19 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Barbara Carrara

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
anyone can do that Feb 11, 2022

[Edited at 2022-02-11 20:28 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-11 20:29 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Barbara Carrara

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Deleted.
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How many fake profiles are there actually? Feb 12, 2022

I'm starting to wonder, how many fake profiles are there actually? And how many of people's KudoZ points are actually real/fake? I discovered two fake profiles over the past month or so (with help from Barend van Zadelhoff, Hans Lenting, and Phil Goddard), but I suspect there are a ton more out there. If you see something suspicious, look into it, you may be surprised at what you discover.

Matthias Brombach
philgoddard
sindy cremer

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I recommend subscribing to forum threads, to keep a record of posts that might otherwise disappear!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »