Thread poster: pzchvpr
pzchvpr
pzchvpr  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 12, 2006

Greetings,
I posted a job exclusively on Proz.com, but the next day started receiving replies but from another online job system that I did not sign up for. Is Proz.com associated with TransQuotation.com? I never heard of them before nor did I sign up with them. I do not plan on replying to anything from that site because I am not sure that it is a legitimate outfit.

Thank you for the answer.
Charlotte

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
No association Dec 12, 2006

That is not a legitimate organization; we have no association with them and what they are doing is unauthorized. They have so far not complied with our legal letters.

My guess is that most outsourcers react to unauthorized reposting of their jobs in the same way that you do. As a result, I imagine that a paid membership at that site is not an effective investment.

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 22:10
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Ouch! Dec 12, 2006

henry wrote:

That is not a legitimate organization; .... As a result, I imagine that a paid membership at that site is not an effective investment.

Thank you, Henry, for this information. I wish it had come a little sooner! I just recently paid up, to increase my business. I guess I have been duped. Is there a thread about this anywhere else? Or a "black list" of such organisations?

Thanks.

Bill

pzchvpr
pzchvpr  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the fast reply Henry! Dec 12, 2006

Henry,

Thank you for the clarification. I did not sign up with TranQuotation.com, they just signed me up which is quite bothersome because I like to control my sources of information (plus I really do not want to receive unsolicited emails with so many zero-days threats and scams).

I say go after whoever it is that doing this. Please let me know if you need additional information to assist in that endeavor.

Again, thanks for the quick reply.
Charl
... See more
Henry,

Thank you for the clarification. I did not sign up with TranQuotation.com, they just signed me up which is quite bothersome because I like to control my sources of information (plus I really do not want to receive unsolicited emails with so many zero-days threats and scams).

I say go after whoever it is that doing this. Please let me know if you need additional information to assist in that endeavor.

Again, thanks for the quick reply.
Charlotte

[Edited at 2006-12-12 18:47]
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:10
French to English
Happened to me in May Dec 13, 2006

see here:
http://www.proz.com/topic/46997

After Ralf contacted me privately (as indeed he said he would) and got me to edit the post, his ultimate advice was to submit a support request.

I'm afraid to say that I couldn't see the point of that (yeah yeah, I'm a bad man!) and figured that since all the jobs mods were by then aware of the problem, that ought to have been enoug
... See more
see here:
http://www.proz.com/topic/46997

After Ralf contacted me privately (as indeed he said he would) and got me to edit the post, his ultimate advice was to submit a support request.

I'm afraid to say that I couldn't see the point of that (yeah yeah, I'm a bad man!) and figured that since all the jobs mods were by then aware of the problem, that ought to have been enough.

I'm a bit surprised to see that nothing appears to have been done some SEVEN months later.

Lord knows what a premium jobs poster would make of it all !!
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
French to English
Is that really the point? Dec 13, 2006

henry wrote:

My guess is that most outsourcers react to unauthorized reposting of their jobs in the same way that you do. As a result, I imagine that a paid membership at that site is not an effective investment.

Actually, your "guess" rather pre-supposes that an outsourcer under time pressure, and who is expecting to receive quite a few email replies to his job posting, has the time and inclination to check the details of where responses are coming from.

I sure as hell didn't, and was engaged in email exchanges with a couple of individuals before I realised they had found my job on transquotation, not here.

So, the official line now is that they haven't complied with your legal letters, so now outsourcers are just supposed to put up with/ignore unauthorised reposting of jobs?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Help ProZ.com to take action Dec 13, 2006

Hi Charlie,

I'm afraid to say that I couldn't see the point of that (yeah yeah, I'm a bad man!) and figured that since all the jobs mods were by then aware of the problem, that ought to have been enough.

Please bear in mind that all ProZ.com moderators are volunteers - by submitting a Support Request to ProZ.com staff, you would have facilitated following up the issue you were reporting on at the time. Since I hadn't heard from you again, I assumed you had done so.

I'm a bit surprised to see that nothing appears to have been done some SEVEN months later.

You didn't bother submitting a Support Request, but you're surprised "nothing appears to have been done". Interesting.

On a general note, moderators hit their limits when legal steps need to be taken - at which point you really need to communicate with site staff.

Best regards,
Ralf

Charlie Bavington
French to English
YOU told me you'd already contacted site staff Dec 13, 2006

Ralf Lemster wrote:

You didn't bother submitting a Support Request, but you're surprised "nothing appears to have been done". Interesting.

On a general note, moderators hit their limits when legal steps need to be taken - at which point you really need to communicate with site staff.

On May 5th, you said to me via email that:
"TBH I don't know, as I forwarded it to ProZ.com staff, and haven't followed it up myself."

So, as far as I was concerned, ProZ staff were already aware of it.

This would appear to be confirmed by the fact that Henry has mentioned legal letters. Unless they (the staff) wanted more info from either you or me, I figured our (yours and mine) involvement was at an end. Since they have, therefore, been aware since MAY (Support Request or no Support Request), I think I'm entitled to express surprise

It's not strictly relevant, but since you keep mentioning Support Requests, the reason I didn't raise one was that I didn't view the situation as one which required "support". It could just be a question of semantics, but I see a "support request" as a request for help, or to report a bug on the site. I didn't need help - as I said in my forum posting in May, the Proz aspect of the whole thing ran smooth as clockwork. That's why I didn't bother. Now, you may counter that (with some justification) by saying that a SR is also a way of attracting staff attention to an issue, but as you had already done so, what would be the purpose?

Anyway, the point is not Proz staff awareness. As Henry's response shows, Proz staff, by one means or another, have obviously been aware of this since before yesterday (possibly since even before May, who knows?). So that is a non-issue here

The point is that that this "harvesting" of jobs has not been halted. I was a mouse-click away from allocating my job to someone from TransQuotation rather than ProZ. It's not beyond the realms of possibility to think that other outsourcers may in fact have made that mouse click, and therefore TransQuotation's objective is achieved.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Apologies... Dec 13, 2006

...for not remembering each and every case we're dealing with, off the back of my head.

On May 5th, you said to me via email that:
"TBH I don't know, as I forwarded it to ProZ.com staff, and haven't followed it up myself."

According to my records, the message was sent on 25MAY2006; while you're at it, you might as well quote it in full:

Hi Charlie,
TBH I don't know, as I forwarded it to ProZ.com staff, and haven't followed it up myself. Why don't you submit a Support Request?

Best regards,
Ralf

No further comment.

Ralf

Charlie Bavington
French to English
I'm really not criticising your role - far from it Dec 13, 2006

Ralf Lemster wrote:

According to my records, the message was sent on 25MAY2006;

Absolutely right. I most humbly beg your forgiveness for the typo. Lucky I got the May bit right, eh?

while you're at it, you might as well quote it in full:

Hi Charlie,
TBH I don't know, as I forwarded it to ProZ.com staff, and haven't followed it up myself. Why don't you submit a Support Request?

Best regards,
Ralf

Because, my dear fellow, there seem to be two reasons for submitting a SR:
1. Because one needs help. I didn't need help.
2. Because one wishes to draw the attention of the site staff to something. You told me you had already done so.
Ergo, no need for a blessed Support Request.
Can you see the logic of that?

As far as I'm concerned, you've done absolutely all you could and should have done in your role as a Moderator. As I'm getting every so slightly weary of saying, the point is surely that since the site staff were aware of this in May (because you told them about it), why is it still happening in December?

Edit - and no, Ralf, I'm not expecting you personally to answer that last question, or take responsibility for it in any way, shape or form It's an open question on an open forum, and one which I do not consider needs to be further brought to the attention of site staff through a Support Request since Henry has already posted here. So in my view, site staff are already aware.

[Edited at 2006-12-13 17:50]

Edit II - I can see now that my first post could perhaps have been construed as a veiled criticism of the mods, and perhaps even Ralf specifically. I wanted to be brief - I should have explained that Ralf had said he'd passed the case on to the site staff, and that as far as I was concerned, he and the rest of the mods had done all they could. Apologies for not being clearer first time round.

[Edited at 2006-12-13 17:54]

lara80
lara80
Argentina
Local time: 17:10
English to Spanish
So?? Mar 27, 2007

Hello everybody!

I´ve been contacting translators from Proz and other sites to ask them about the reliability of Transquotation. Some answered, some did not. My question was the following one:

I´m contacting translators because I want to subscribe to Transquotation and I´m not quite sure of the reliability of this page. Two argentinian colleagues have told me that they´ve never been contacted by any of the clients publishing jobs, so I´m wondering wether TQ is reli
... See more
Hello everybody!

I´ve been contacting translators from Proz and other sites to ask them about the reliability of Transquotation. Some answered, some did not. My question was the following one:

I´m contacting translators because I want to subscribe to Transquotation and I´m not quite sure of the reliability of this page. Two argentinian colleagues have told me that they´ve never been contacted by any of the clients publishing jobs, so I´m wondering wether TQ is reliable or not.

The ones who answered me, told me that:1) they came across with TQ by ads, and 2) They didn´t even know the site.

I´ve been reading other forums and TQ´s reliability is still in the dark. My friend already invested his money on this site and, apparently, he has lost his money.

Now, my question is: What can be done?
or, what should WE do about it?

Thanks in advance!
Ariana.

[Editado a las 2007-03-27 20:58]
Collapse

voravadee31
voravadee31
Local time: 03:10
English to Thai
+ ...
I never got a reply from Transquotation. Nov 1, 2007

A year ago I signed up Transquotation website and paid 99 USD since I saw that there are many big projects for bids. I kept bidding on all projects they sent to my email but none of them replied me. Until my membership expired I never received any response from all projects I bid. It really make me piss off and I won't advise any one to become its membership.

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Never got a reply + TransQuotation competes with its own subscribers Mar 15, 2008

I have the same problem. A few months ago I subscribed to TQ and started bidding regularly. As I did not receive any replies for many months, I looked at the site more carefully.

What came out is that under the homepage button "Translation by TQ" they offer an Instant Quote system with rates below market average cooupled with record beating leetime. A little more enquiry discovered that their paypal address is owned by a language school.

To say the truth the above inf
... See more
I have the same problem. A few months ago I subscribed to TQ and started bidding regularly. As I did not receive any replies for many months, I looked at the site more carefully.

What came out is that under the homepage button "Translation by TQ" they offer an Instant Quote system with rates below market average cooupled with record beating leetime. A little more enquiry discovered that their paypal address is owned by a language school.

To say the truth the above information is kind of available to everybody, and I should have looked at it before subscribing. Morevoer, earlier I contacted TQ staff requiring an adjustment in may email address, and they replied promptly and professionally.

However now I have a clear perception that my own subscription was not a good investment. It was pure waste.

[Edited at 2008-03-17 12:44]
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
And... Mar 17, 2008

TQ just sent me a translation project for which I have already been selected at ProZ...

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 17:10
SITE STAFF
Not an effective investment Mar 17, 2008

Hello all,

I would just like to draw attention to Henry's words earlier in this thread, which I believe still fit the case:

Henry D wrote:

That is not a legitimate organization; we have no association with them and what they are doing is unauthorized. They have so far not complied with our legal letters.

Best regards,

Jared

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Posted job exclusively on Proz.com but it appeared on TransQuotation.com

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »