ProZ.com membership and access to job postings
Thread poster: Susie Miles (X)
Susie Miles (X)
Susie Miles (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:20
English to Spanish
Jun 3, 2011

I just have this idea in my mind... it's not very friendly that all jobs posted are only available for paying members. Since I became a Proz member (mid 2007) I was able to pay the membership annual fee twice. At this moment, I am not able to do it. That means: You can not work anymore through Proz... but I think: Proz has received some benefit from me...

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:20
French to English
+ ...
Not literally... Jun 3, 2011

Susie Miles wrote:

I just have this idea in my mind... it's not very friendly that all jobs posted are only available for paying members. Since I became a Proz member (mid 2007) I was able to pay the membership annual fee twice. At this moment, I am not able to do it. That means: You can not work anymore through Proz... but I think: Proz has received some benefit from me...

Susie -- I think I'm right in saying that it's not that you litearlly can't quote on jobs, just that members are given an advantage in being able to quote for 12 hours before non-members. Posters can restrict jobs to members if they wish, but I don't think this is so common.

So basically, if you don't become a member, then that restricts you to bidding on the kind of jobs where outsourcers are willing to wait 12 hours before selecting the candidate-- presumably, larger jobs where selecting from a larger pool of candidates is more advantageous than just giving it to the first reasonable candidate for the sake of urgency.

So whether it's worth paying is something you have to assess depending on the type of job you think you're in a better position to win bids on, I would say.

Susie Miles (X)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Tomorrow Jun 3, 2011

Neil, I'll reply to you tomorrow it's late here in Uruguay. Good night!

Neil Coffey wrote:

Susie Miles wrote:

Susie -- I think I'm right in saying that it's not that you litearlly can't quote on jobs, just that members are given an advantage in being able to quote for 12 hours before non-members. Posters can restrict jobs to members if they wish, but I don't think this is so common.

So basically, if you don't become a member, then that restricts you to bidding on the kind of jobs where outsourcers are willing to wait 12 hours before selecting the candidate-- presumably, larger jobs where selecting from a larger pool of candidates is more advantageous than just giving it to the first reasonable candidate for the sake of urgency.

So whether it's worth paying is something you have to assess depending on the type of job you think you're in a better position to win bids on, I would say.

Susie Miles (X)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! Jun 3, 2011

I want to thank Lucía for making the necessary relocation to my message.

Kind regards, Susie

Susie Miles (X)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
My case Jun 3, 2011

Susie Miles wrote:

Neil, I'll reply to you tomorrow it's late here in Uruguay. Good night!

I just replied to Neil Coffey, but I don't see my reply!!! Maybe because I didn't put the title in it!!!

Neil Coffey wrote:

Susie Miles wrote:

Susie Miles (X)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Job offer no longer available Jun 3, 2011

Neil, I had replied to you that if, within my pair English into Spanish, I wait 12 hours to quote, the job offer is no longer available.
It's really very common that almost all offers have that impediment.
I gave other reasons, but now let's leave it here...

Thank you,
Susie Miles

Susie Miles (X)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
4000 browniz Jun 4, 2011

To: ProZ collaborators,
cc: Marijke Singer

Would you kindly explain to me what is the difference if a good colleague, Marijke Singer, whom I already thanked her very much, gives me 4.000 browniz for my annual membership, if I anyway have to pay115 dollars which is the total amount paid by members from Uruguay?
I really do not know how that works. Are brownies used to pay annual membership? Are you telling me that certain amount of brownies are accepted as one
... See more
To: ProZ collaborators,
cc: Marijke Singer

Would you kindly explain to me what is the difference if a good colleague, Marijke Singer, whom I already thanked her very much, gives me 4.000 browniz for my annual membership, if I anyway have to pay115 dollars which is the total amount paid by members from Uruguay?
I really do not know how that works. Are brownies used to pay annual membership? Are you telling me that certain amount of brownies are accepted as one-year membership fee, and that that represents 115 dollars that I do not have to pay? Or I still have to pay 115 dllrs?
Please clarify.
Thank you once more, Marijke, for your very kind generosity.
Best regards,
Susie
Collapse

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Local membership purchase or purchase with browniz points Jun 6, 2011

Dear Susie,

Note that you can join ProZ.com as a member for 2200 UYP, if you pay locally in Uruguay (it would be around 119.00 USD), or else make your purchase online for 115.00 USD + 4000 browniz points.

You can see all different options here:

http://www.proz.com/membership/?sp_submode=all_options

Hope this helps.

Kin
... See more
Dear Susie,

Note that you can join ProZ.com as a member for 2200 UYP, if you pay locally in Uruguay (it would be around 119.00 USD), or else make your purchase online for 115.00 USD + 4000 browniz points.

You can see all different options here:

http://www.proz.com/membership/?sp_submode=all_options

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Lucía
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:20
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Have you considered a partial jobs membership? Jun 6, 2011

Susie Miles wrote:
I was able to pay the membership annual fee twice. At this moment, I am not able to do it....

If you cannot pay 115 USD, perhaps you can consider to pay a partial membership or a 6 months one, at least until you are able to pay the full one for one year.

I see the partial jobs +4000 browniz and the six months full at 60 euros, (about 45 dollars I guess), perhaps this is the solution.

[Edited at 2011-06-06 14:41 GMT]

Susie Miles (X)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
4 to 5 U$S discount...... Jun 6, 2011

Lucía, I am not begging for a difference of 4 or 5 dollars. At this moment I am not able to pay the 2.100 Uruguayan pesos membership fee. Thank you, thank you very very much!
Please don't you worry about this anymore!
Kind regards,
Susie

Susie Miles (X)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Another topic Jun 6, 2011

Thank you very much, Angie, I appreciate your point. I had not seen your posting. I will consider it. I am afraid my profile is not sufficiently appealing... and I will lose the money once more.... I think I have not enough diplomas, or other performances.... Maybe that is the reason. Thank you anyway.... This thread is getting towards another matter/topic.
Kindly,
Susie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com membership and access to job postings

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »