Marion Lambert-Nuding
Marion Lambert-Nuding  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:40
English to French
+ ...
Jan 22, 2016

Hi All,

I've been translating on a freelance basis for 5 years. I know what it's like to find your own clients and to go from stupidly busy to scaringly quiet, and I guess selling interpreting services isn't going to be that different. Whilst I have no problem with the idea of running my own freelance business, I don't want to be flogging a dead horse, so I thought I'd seek a little advice from the guys who have done a DPSI already....

I'm thinking of spending next year
... See more
Hi All,

I've been translating on a freelance basis for 5 years. I know what it's like to find your own clients and to go from stupidly busy to scaringly quiet, and I guess selling interpreting services isn't going to be that different. Whilst I have no problem with the idea of running my own freelance business, I don't want to be flogging a dead horse, so I thought I'd seek a little advice from the guys who have done a DPSI already....

I'm thinking of spending next year studying at London Met Uni to take the DPSI Law in French, but....

- Law: I heard Court Interpreters were struggling to get a decent rate of pay recently, leading to a boycot of the main agency appointed by government tender. Yet, having walked past a massive sign asking for volunteer interpreters in our local hospital not long ago, I'm guessing the Health option is no better....?

- French: On top of this, whilst I understand people with slightly more exotic backgrounds might need the services of an interpreter in court, a lot of British people have a basic grasp of french and vice versa. So, would my language combination be of any use ?

Any experience or opinion would be very much appreciated....

Thanks!

[Edited at 2016-01-22 17:05 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DPSI Law French. Is it worth it ?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »