Thread poster: golf264
golf264
golf264  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:24
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 11, 2015

How important is it for a self-employed translator, i.e. one that is not part of a bureau or team collaboration, to learn athird language which will create an extra combination?

I'm considering learning German, I already have considerable knowledge of the language, but not enough to apply it in a field.

That would increase my professional capabilities and the amount of projects for which I would be eligible. Moreover, the amount of translation work would also be much hi
... See more
How important is it for a self-employed translator, i.e. one that is not part of a bureau or team collaboration, to learn athird language which will create an extra combination?

I'm considering learning German, I already have considerable knowledge of the language, but not enough to apply it in a field.

That would increase my professional capabilities and the amount of projects for which I would be eligible. Moreover, the amount of translation work would also be much higher, considering I would have added about 100 million mother language speakers to my base of potential target group.

The primary reason for such a (painstaking) undertaking would of course be the earnings that would also increase from landing more jobs.

Is such a thing recommendable? Have any of you done this sort of thing before? And if so, which language(s) did you add??
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Learning a third language, extra combination to increase spectrum

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »