Maika Vicente Navarro
Maika Vicente Navarro  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 8, 2014

Dear All,

Since I moved to Australia two years ago I have found it hard to keep in touch with the newest trends and technologies in the translation industry

Most of the off-line events (and the most important ones), take place in Europe or United States. Australia offers only a limited amount of small events through association like NAATI or AUSIT (as far as I know). Traveling to Europe or United States for one of those events is very expensive and time consuming (and
... See more
Dear All,

Since I moved to Australia two years ago I have found it hard to keep in touch with the newest trends and technologies in the translation industry

Most of the off-line events (and the most important ones), take place in Europe or United States. Australia offers only a limited amount of small events through association like NAATI or AUSIT (as far as I know). Traveling to Europe or United States for one of those events is very expensive and time consuming (and not just for me).

Technically there is a growing number of on-line events. Unfortunately for us who live in Australia, most of them are set in European or USA time, which essentially means that they usually take place late at night in Australia (from midnight onwards). So most of the time I cannot: assist to the event or do it live and participate.

Now, two years later I have the feeling that I am lagging behind and its becoming harder for me to know what's going on.

What should I do? What would be your recommendation?

Thank you very much for your help,

Yours sincerely,

Maika
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:15
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi. I personally think you have not missed that much. Jul 8, 2014

and you might have saved a couple of dollars for some expensive seminars which are great, but they are mostly more of social events--like ballroom dancing in the past.

There are some virtual events that you can attend--here, also very interesting.

[Edited at 2014-07-08 08:46 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hard to keep in touch with new trends and technologies from Australia

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »