Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Gitte Hoveds (X)
Gitte Hoveds (X)
Denmark
Local time: 08:48
Danish to English
+ ...
Deteriorating Oct 3, 2017

While I was living in England many moons ago, I met an Englishman in Spain who said he knew I was not a native Brit because he could not place my English accent. I took that as a compliment. But that was back in the '80s. Having been back in Denmark since 1991 and only rarely visiting England since then, I am painfully aware that my British accent is not nearly as good as it used to be. I still speak English regularly, and hear it spoken on TV every day, and my accent is probably still OK, but i... See more
While I was living in England many moons ago, I met an Englishman in Spain who said he knew I was not a native Brit because he could not place my English accent. I took that as a compliment. But that was back in the '80s. Having been back in Denmark since 1991 and only rarely visiting England since then, I am painfully aware that my British accent is not nearly as good as it used to be. I still speak English regularly, and hear it spoken on TV every day, and my accent is probably still OK, but it is not brilliant in any way.

Solution? Move back to England? Tempting...
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:48
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Near Native Oct 4, 2017

And this is not my personal opinion, which wouldn't be valid. I've heard this, and I keep hearing it from several native English speakers.

[Edited at 2017-10-04 01:44 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In my second language, my accent is

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »