Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What is your opinion on the advances in neural machine translation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:35
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
It's actually WORSE than before Mar 21, 2017

I recently posted - http://www.proz.com/forum/machine_translation_mt/312626-google_gave_their_mt_a_brain_google_neural_machine_translation.html#2634724 - a comparison of Google Translate's EN > PT output as it was years ago, and how it is now, after it "went neural".

Whatever this "neural" enta
... See more
I recently posted - http://www.proz.com/forum/machine_translation_mt/312626-google_gave_their_mt_a_brain_google_neural_machine_translation.html#2634724 - a comparison of Google Translate's EN > PT output as it was years ago, and how it is now, after it "went neural".

Whatever this "neural" entails, GT is visibly performing worse now than it was before.
Collapse

Cecilia Civetta
Cecilia Civetta  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:35
Member (2003)
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Exactly my thought! Mar 21, 2017

Mario Freitas wrote:

MTs are evolivng, no doubt. But there is no chance they'll ever replace all translators in the future. MTs are very useful in this globalized world, and indeed the Babel Tower is history. But professional translaton is something else. There is no mathematical formula for language, no algorithm able to make a machine interpret messages, moods, humor, feelings, typos, poor construction, Chinglish, etc. The best possible algorithms will allow the machine to translate text only, with none of these factors.

So, yes, a good part of the translators will have to find another job, because part of the translations involve text only. But the quality professionals and translations will still exist for many generations.

Now one thing we should all do, as professionals, is to refuse vehemently any type of the so-called "post-editing" jobs for a lower price than the translation. Those who do that are contributing for a translation world dominated by machines.

[Edited at 2017-03-21 15:34 GMT]

I totally agree!

Nohkyung Park
Nohkyung Park  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 15:35
English to Korean
Imaginable Mar 21, 2017

About one year ago, the largest portal company in Korea S. commenced a translation campaign where he who suggests the best translation (recommended by other translators or readers) gets some portal credits. Then, a few month ago, they launched a neural MT service with huge TV ad campaign. So, I have felt betrayed even though I did not join the campaign at all. I think that deep learning may apply to translation or interpretation and its basis is our knowledge and know-how.
I turn down all
... See more
About one year ago, the largest portal company in Korea S. commenced a translation campaign where he who suggests the best translation (recommended by other translators or readers) gets some portal credits. Then, a few month ago, they launched a neural MT service with huge TV ad campaign. So, I have felt betrayed even though I did not join the campaign at all. I think that deep learning may apply to translation or interpretation and its basis is our knowledge and know-how.
I turn down all MT Post Edit tasks because they offer low rate and I have to take both source and target strings into consideration at a short time. In addition, the MT will somehow decrease our job opportunities, I guess. I believe that human beings' semantic field is dynamic and unique. Creativity is original and analog, and MT is digital (0 or 1) even it is neural. Their difference cannot be compromised. Someday, however, I will be able to make my own neural MT avatar.
Collapse

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:35
French to German
+ ...
Thanks, Trevor Mar 22, 2017

Trevor Chichester wrote:

What a lot of translators somehow fail to realize is that the "future" of MT is largely dependent on US.

If we don't want our professions going the way of the dodo we must ALL absolutely, 110% REFUSE to work on anything MT related...ESPECIALLY that "post-edit" garbage that some companies somehow market to clients as "professional, reliable quality".

This is going to play out exactly how the drastic drop in rates happened.....WE LET IT HAPPEN. Instead of all of us vehemently opposing ridiculous, laughably impossible deadlines accompanied by outrageously low rates, some of us continued to work under these conditions and now look what's happened. Rates have dropped to an all time low because not all of us had a backbone to stand up and say "NO, we won't work for these rates and under these conditions".

The future of MT is determined by how we as a community react. We must all unequivocally OPPOSE any kind of MT work. If we don't stand as a community our professions will absolutely cease to exist.

[Edited at 2017-03-21 16:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-03-21 17:24 GMT]

I totally agree!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What is your opinion on the advances in neural machine translation?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »