Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you sometimes wish you had a regular "9 to 5" job instead of being a freelancer?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:28
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
In a previous life Mar 7, 2017

Several years ago I did have a regular 7:30 - 16:00 job. When the clock struck 4 p. m. I went home, completely leaving everything behind me. It was a regular income, paid vacation, SS paid, full coverage in case of sickness, and my responsibilities were limited to my the work done in the section I was in charge of. But... then came the freelancing and along with it the air of freedom.

Now I'm complete in charge of everything, incl. covering SS and going on vacation when I can. On th
... See more
Several years ago I did have a regular 7:30 - 16:00 job. When the clock struck 4 p. m. I went home, completely leaving everything behind me. It was a regular income, paid vacation, SS paid, full coverage in case of sickness, and my responsibilities were limited to my the work done in the section I was in charge of. But... then came the freelancing and along with it the air of freedom.

Now I'm complete in charge of everything, incl. covering SS and going on vacation when I can. On the "can do" side, nobody cares about a running nose or not meeting the "company's" dress code. I choose the work I want to do, not a boss breathing down my neck. Yes, I now work more than I did back then, but it's all worth it. Did I mention the freedom of complete independence? So now it's freelancing or bust.
Collapse

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:28
Member (2004)
English to French
I used to Mar 7, 2017

I used to have a 9 to 5 job as an in-house translator in a beige cubicle in a noisy office and a horrible new boss. Because of him, I ended up taking a sick leave for depression, then resigning after 13 years and losing a package and all benefits.
Best move I made. I have tons of work, a nice view, a quiet office, more free time and can work in my pj.
I'm never going back to work for a big company!

Laura Garcia Mesa
Laura Garcia Mesa  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:28
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Transition to PM for major language service providers Mar 7, 2017

Well, for the past months I have been evaluating transitioning into full time PM. Would really enjoy the experience of working remotely as PM for a Major language company.
Has anyone tried? If so I would love to hear your experience. I have been managing multilingual projects for years now but for my own small company.

nathalia woglo
nathalia woglo  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Sometimes Mar 7, 2017

Just to have some financial stability...especially during the holidays and the brazilian carnival period that never ends...

Salman Rostami
Salman Rostami  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:28
Member (2009)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Never ever wish to have a 9-5 job Mar 7, 2017

Because of the freelance nature of my job, I could travel to several countries when it was very difficult for employees to take a day off. Therefore, I could enjoy much cheaper prices and shorter queues! I could enjoy both snowy and sunny days with my family and I could find some reliable friends in different countries! I can't deny that I had many hard days and nights with literally brutal deadlines, some family gatherings that I couldn't join because of my freelance job, and some devastating m... See more
Because of the freelance nature of my job, I could travel to several countries when it was very difficult for employees to take a day off. Therefore, I could enjoy much cheaper prices and shorter queues! I could enjoy both snowy and sunny days with my family and I could find some reliable friends in different countries! I can't deny that I had many hard days and nights with literally brutal deadlines, some family gatherings that I couldn't join because of my freelance job, and some devastating minutes in dim and dull booths as a simultaneous interpreter but the positives are incomparably more than the negatives! I love my freelance job.
P.S. I live in a country with very cheaper prices compared to EU or USA, therefore I can support my family very well with the money I earn through my job.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Two types of answerers, IMO Mar 8, 2017

I believe there can only be two types of people answering this question:

1. Someone who has tried that and worked in a regular in-house job, like I did for 20 years, and who will most likely say "no way on earth I want a 9-5 job ever again in my life".

2. Someone who has never worked in-house or in a so-called reguar job, and has been a freelancer for not long enough to settle their income/portfolio, and who keeps wondering if it would be a good idea to get a regular jo
... See more
I believe there can only be two types of people answering this question:

1. Someone who has tried that and worked in a regular in-house job, like I did for 20 years, and who will most likely say "no way on earth I want a 9-5 job ever again in my life".

2. Someone who has never worked in-house or in a so-called reguar job, and has been a freelancer for not long enough to settle their income/portfolio, and who keeps wondering if it would be a good idea to get a regular job, have some stability, a guaranteed salary at the end of the month, etc. Believe me, pal: it's NOT a good idea. It's a valid experience if you try it, but don't do what I did and take 20 years to find out that being a freelancer is the best type of job you can ever get, and regret it forever that you took too long to find out.

[Edited at 2017-03-08 04:00 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sorry, but Mar 8, 2017

Laura Garcia Mesa wrote:

Well, for the past months I have been evaluating transitioning into full time PM. Would really enjoy the experience of working remotely as PM for a Major language company.
Has anyone tried? If so I would love to hear your experience. I have been managing multilingual projects for years now but for my own small company.

Sorry for the pssimism, Laura, but I think you'll deeply regret it if you do. Anyway, if you really want to try it, do not close your agency. Try to keep it running with people of your trust for a while. That way, if you find out the "big company" is a real Sh(*)t, you can always come back.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you sometimes wish you had a regular "9 to 5" job instead of being a freelancer?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »