Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many words do you typically produce per day (text ready to go)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 12:29
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
The point is Feb 23, 2017

Justin Peterson wrote:

Chris S wrote:

Only about 10,000. But then I knock off at lunchtime.

Clearly not possible. What is your point?

to those of us who have been around for a while, this is one of those questions that comes around every now and then - and inevitably turns into a pissing contest

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:29
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It varies from 2000 to 6000 Feb 23, 2017

The volume I undertake with my clients is 3000 WPD. That way I can always fit in small jobs that appear every now and then.

However, it depends a lot on several factors. A document in my areas of expertise, with most terms already in the TM and TB, many repetitions, etc. would allow me to produce as much as 6000 words in a day with no other commitments.

On the other hand, I may not be able to produce more than 2000 words in a document of a non-expertise area, with lots
... See more
The volume I undertake with my clients is 3000 WPD. That way I can always fit in small jobs that appear every now and then.

However, it depends a lot on several factors. A document in my areas of expertise, with most terms already in the TM and TB, many repetitions, etc. would allow me to produce as much as 6000 words in a day with no other commitments.

On the other hand, I may not be able to produce more than 2000 words in a document of a non-expertise area, with lots of research required, too much Chinglish, too many specific jargon terms, and othr things.

[Edited at 2017-02-23 05:35 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ha ha ha Feb 23, 2017

Justin Peterson wrote:

Chris S wrote:

Are you new around here, Justin?Yes we do make jokes all the time. It's good for the mood. And Chris is smart and fantastic with sarcasm (for humor purposes, not irony) who always brings some fun and good humor into the group. You can be sure if these pools become too serious, you won't see many people around here.

[Edited at 2017-02-23 05:33 GMT]

Justin Peterson
Justin Peterson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
Inappropriate answer Feb 23, 2017

Hege Jakobsen Lepri wrote:

Justin Peterson wrote:

Chris S wrote:

to those of us who have been around for a while, this is one of those questions that comes around every now and then - and inevitably turns into a pissing contest

I didn't see anyone involved in any "pissing contest" here. ?
The only inappropriate answer was your own.
It seems unfair to respond flippantly based on previous poll results.
I think the asker deserves the benefit of the doubt, and real responses, not sarcasm.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
OMG Justin! Feb 23, 2017

You should chill and maybe read some old discussions to really understand the tone and tradition of this forum. You're moving around like an elephant in a porcelain store.

Justin Peterson
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
Been here 12 years ... sick of these kinds of answers Feb 23, 2017

You should chill and maybe read some old discussions to really understand the tone and tradition of this forum. You're moving around like an elephant in a porcelain store.

Spare me the condescending advice. Been here over 10 years. And Im sick of the "I'm too experienced, and too professional to be bothered answering these silly questions" tone. If you don´t like the question, just don´t answer it.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
And if you don't like the answers Feb 23, 2017

Justin Peterson wrote:

If you don´t like the question, just don´t answer it.

If you don't like the answers, there are lots of forums out there.

You really seem to be having an off week.
By the way, 10 years ago, my standard answer to the question would have been 2500-2700 words, but as the years have passed and I've moved into different kinds of translation, I'm much more cautious giving out estimates. I've done jobs where I've managed only 100-150 words per hour due to the extreme difficulty, others where 600-700 words per hour is quite easy.
And if that is too smug and condescending to your mood, I advice you to take your anger issues elsewhere and not out on me -
or Chris for that matter.

[Edited at 2017-02-23 18:37 GMT]

Justin Peterson
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
Now that is an answer :) Feb 23, 2017

Now, this is an answer:

"By the way, 10 years ago, my standard answer to the question would have been 2500-2700 words, but as the years have passed and I've moved into different kinds of translation, I'm much more cautious giving out estimates. I've done jobs where I've managed only 100-150 words per hour due to the extreme difficulty, others where 600-700 words per hour is quite easy."

That is something someone can read, and it might be reassuring for them that, yes, h
... See more
Now, this is an answer:

"By the way, 10 years ago, my standard answer to the question would have been 2500-2700 words, but as the years have passed and I've moved into different kinds of translation, I'm much more cautious giving out estimates. I've done jobs where I've managed only 100-150 words per hour due to the extreme difficulty, others where 600-700 words per hour is quite easy."

That is something someone can read, and it might be reassuring for them that, yes, huge differences in their speed are normal. And the rates cited can give them an idea of what is going on out there. THIS is helpful.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@ Justin Feb 24, 2017

I'm really sorry, pal, but your mood is not appropriate for this forum. You may insist as much as you can to make this a serious and very civilized forum, but you'll be all alone in your boat. And it will sink.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many words do you typically produce per day (text ready to go)?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »