Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you mute incoming email notifications when working?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Harry Blake Paz Bonzano
Harry Blake Paz Bonzano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 16:25
Member (2014)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Same here Oct 2, 2016

EvaVer wrote:

My computer is not allowed to make any noise, at any time.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
ITD = International Translation Day Oct 2, 2016

Chie. I wrote:

Last month, several agencies sent me international translation's day celebration emails, which was just a newsletter so I decided to mute all.

Lucky me, I probably received one or two, which I deleted. I'm having second thoughts about all these international days of this or that. They seem an exercise in self-congratulatory futility.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:25
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I get visual alerts Oct 2, 2016

If I turned them off, I would miss out on incoming jobs.

It's much easier to ignore my phone than my e-mail. E-mail is my main line of communication. I need to be able to respond to emergencies.

Though I just get visual alerts at the bottom of my screen, I admit that they are a distraction.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:25
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It doesn't mean you have to interrupt your work... Oct 2, 2016

Luiz Barucke wrote:

Mario Freitas wrote:

While I'm working on a current job, new e-mail messages usually contain job proposals for the next jobs, and many of them will be given to another translator if you don't reply in a few hours. Clients and agencies aren't very patient, you know.

...But it's something I need to deal with, because that's what keeps my work going on. And most of my job proposals wouldn't wait for a reply more than a few minutes.

In my case, a little sound is heard (not an annoying beep, you choose the sound) and a little pop-up window opens up on the bottom right corner of my screen mentioning who the sender is. So, of course I will ignore most of them while I'm translating, but I will also konw if it's a potential new job, if it's from a regular client, and only then I'll interrupt my work and reply.

[Edited at 2016-10-02 22:42 GMT]

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:25
German to English
+ ...
ITD - me too Oct 3, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

Chie. I wrote:

Last month, several agencies sent me international translation's day celebration emails, which was just a newsletter so I decided to mute all.
Lucky me, I probably received one or two, which I deleted. I'm having second thoughts about all these international days of this or that. They seem an exercise in self-congratulatory futility.

I don't get any sounds to alert me of e-mails since changing to a new computer / system a couple of weeks ago, and I don't miss it.
In regards to ITD, I got one e-mail from any agency that invited me to tell "my story" for ITD. They didn't mention wanting to pay me for it. I have never done work for them, and I would much rather get e-mails that are work-related. Such messages are simply a waste of time. We have to check our messages as part of our job, and don't want to spend more time than we have to. Which makes me think muting / not getting audible alerts, is a good thing.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by user.
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you mute incoming email notifications when working?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »