Freelance marketing - seeking your opinion on email applications to potential clients.
Thread poster: Toralf Mjelde
Toralf Mjelde
Toralf Mjelde  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:05
Member (2007)
English to Norwegian
Aug 29, 2007

Fellow translators, I am seeking your opinion on email applications to potential clients.

When you write an email expressing interest in working with a specific translation company, do you:

a) highlight your qualifications in the body of the email and attach your resume
or
b) highlight your qualifications in the body of the email and end it with e.g. "If you are interested in using my services, please respond and I will send you my detailed resume along wi
... See more
Fellow translators, I am seeking your opinion on email applications to potential clients.

When you write an email expressing interest in working with a specific translation company, do you:

a) highlight your qualifications in the body of the email and attach your resume
or
b) highlight your qualifications in the body of the email and end it with e.g. "If you are interested in using my services, please respond and I will send you my detailed resume along with my rates"?

In today's hectic work environment it is easy for a large email (with attchments) to get deleted, so which approach is the best?

Thanks in advance for your views,

Toralf

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-08-29 07:36]
Collapse

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:05
Russian to English
+ ...
Indicate you know about them Aug 29, 2007

Definitely don't simply attach a resume blind. That could easily be confused with a worm.

I'd recommend something like
I noticed from reading XXX that you're working with large companies in the hydroelectric power plant industry that want to expand into Norway. I am familiar with that subject, based on my background as an engineer. ...

That's by way of illustration. (I haven't checked your background.) But the point is that you don't want it to sound generic.
... See more
Definitely don't simply attach a resume blind. That could easily be confused with a worm.

I noticed from reading XXX that you're working with large companies in the hydroelectric power plant industry that want to expand into Norway. I am familiar with that subject, based on my background as an engineer. ...

That's by way of illustration. (I haven't checked your background.) But the point is that you don't want it to sound generic. They have a need, which you can meet. That's what you want to get across.
Collapse

Michele Treves
Michele Treves
Local time: 01:05
Italian to Croatian
+ ...
FREELANCE MARKETING Aug 29, 2007

Dear Toralf,

I usually enclose my CV but I don't write my rates.
It may happen you offer less than the client expects t pay; it may also happen your rates are too high for a long term cooperation (in this case you have to consider the job volume: a bit lower rate is better to get new long terms customers).
I suggest you to discuss about rates when you have concrete jobs and proposals.
Best wishes,

Michele Treves

TKTranslatio (X)
TKTranslatio (X)
German to Hungarian
+ ...
It depends Aug 29, 2007

Toralf Mjelde wrote:

or
b) highlight your qualifications in the body of the email and end it with e.g. "If you are interested in using my services, please respond and I will send you my detailed resume along with my rates"?

In today's hectic work environment it is easy for a large email (with attchments) to get deleted, so which approach is the best?

Thanks in advance for your views,

Toralf

It depends on the case or situation.

TKTranslatio (X)
TKTranslatio (X)
German to Hungarian
+ ...
yes yes yes Aug 29, 2007

Paul Merriam wrote:

That's by way of illustration. (I haven't checked your background.) But the point is that you don't want it to sound generic. They have a need, which you can meet. That's what you want to get across.

Fully agree.

Mieke Tulp (X)
Mieke Tulp (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:05
English to Dutch
Other thread Aug 29, 2007

Take a look at this topic http://www.proz.com/topic/71730 which was started by Anthony Baldwin. There are some very useful tips in there with regard to sending applications to translation agencies.

Mieke

Michael Kazakov
Michael Kazakov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 02:05
English to Russian
+ ...
TXT file Aug 29, 2007

Toralf Mjelde wrote:

I attach my resume as a text file, so there is no worries about either a big file size or potentially unsafe content.

I alslo put my rates in the resume, after all the very intent of sending that attachment in the first place is to provide as much information about you as possible, is it not?

Regards,
Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelance marketing - seeking your opinion on email applications to potential clients.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »