Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:29
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 30, 2021

Does anyone else have this happen to them?

When I attempt to speak in a language in which I'm not fluent, I fill in words from another language in which I am on about the same level.

Example: I'm trying to say "I know" in Indonesian but cannot find the word. I end up saying "xero" which is Greek. I'm probably about 6 months away from basic fluency (with diligent study) in both languages.

Another example: A while back when I was dabbling in Dutch I would ha
... See more
Does anyone else have this happen to them?

When I attempt to speak in a language in which I'm not fluent, I fill in words from another language in which I am on about the same level.

Example: I'm trying to say "I know" in Indonesian but cannot find the word. I end up saying "xero" which is Greek. I'm probably about 6 months away from basic fluency (with diligent study) in both languages.

Another example: A while back when I was dabbling in Dutch I would have French come out when I couldn't remember a word.

Another example: Whenever I attempt to say things in German I have Dutch pop into what I'm saying. For example I'm always saying "ik" instead of "ich" because I can't think fast enough to remember the right word in German, even if it is very similar.
Collapse

Ventnai
Philippe Etienne

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:29
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, it happens Oct 30, 2021

I used to make my Italian teacher mad because on every lesson Spanish words kept coming right out of my mouth. Worse still, because I lived for 30 years in Belgium, when I’m really really tired only French words come to my mind and I can’t remember their Portuguese counterpart (by the way, I’m Portuguese). Oops!

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:29
Greek to English
Known phenomenon Oct 31, 2021

This is called "second language interference", although it might not be specifically the second language that messes you up.

If I try to speak French, it's Greek that gets in the way, not my first language, English. Especially when there are small connecting words (like "mais" and "με") that sound the same, but mean quite different things.

Ventnai
Philippe Etienne
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Thayenga
expressisverbis
Edward Potter
Yaotl Altan

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Oct 31, 2021

Oh totally! I get the impression that French and English, my source and target, each have their own compartment in my brain. Then the three other languages I have had a little tuition in, but can barely speak, seem to be all lumped together in an "any other languages" compartment. So yes, I was trying to speak to the mother of a Spanish friend but I could only remember half the words I was looking for in German.

What is peculiar about German is that I remember very little vocabular
... See more
Oh totally! I get the impression that French and English, my source and target, each have their own compartment in my brain. Then the three other languages I have had a little tuition in, but can barely speak, seem to be all lumped together in an "any other languages" compartment. So yes, I was trying to speak to the mother of a Spanish friend but I could only remember half the words I was looking for in German.

What is peculiar about German is that I remember very little vocabulary but the grammar seems to be intact in my memory. I attribute this to the sheer beauty of the logic. Whereas in Spanish, the grammar is rather woolly, like, I know there are two different verbs to translate "to be" but I'm likely to get it wrong every time.
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Edward Potter

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 08:29
English to Turkish
So this is different than Oct 31, 2021

what some snob, uppity corporate people seem to suffer from when they interject English words in their conversations to show off their super-duper English?

[Edited at 2021-10-31 10:49 GMT]

expressisverbis

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
I just forget the word altogether Oct 31, 2021

I feel like the more you read, the more you'll confuse your vocabulary and suddenly forgot any related term in your mental dictionary.

As it happened right when I was writing this post. It took me 15 bloody minutes to remember the word 'vocabulary' in all languages I speak.

[Edited at 2021-10-31 18:24 GMT]

Edward Potter

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
I never do that, not randomly. Nov 1, 2021

I actually speak with what I know. Unless for instance I speak with a German person and can’t remember a word, I will then use an English word because I know this German person can understand it/can speak English. For instance I won’t replace it with a Chinese word randomly.

[Edited at 2021-11-01 23:51 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Filling in words from another language

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »