Strastran (X)
Strastran (X)
France
Local time: 05:22
French to English
+ ...
Agreed... Jun 20, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Rather tell your fellow Britons that it is absolutely inappropriate to address an American woman with: "Dear" or, worst of all: "Love". (Reaction: "Have we met??!?", "Disgusting pervert!").

I agree, unless they're in the UK at the time, in which case it's perfectly acceptable. Just as it's perfectly acceptable for someone to wish me a nice day when I'm in America.

In Britain, depending on the region and your gender, you might get called dear, love, mate, duck, cock (yes, really), bab, darling and many other variants. None of them are meant in a sexist or patronising way - where I'm from older ladies often call me 'love' - and none of them are a profession of devotion. However, I would never dream of using them in America.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
@Nicole Jun 20, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:
I see discussions regarding the finer points between Northern, Southern, the South-West, Welsh, Irish or not, British or not. Yet 315 million people spread over 3.79 million square miles (9,83 million km2) are called "the Americans". Apparently finer points don't apply to this continent.

I always appreciate your ability to get to the point so clearly... well said!

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:22
Portuguese to English
+ ...
"American woman" Jun 20, 2013

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Nicole Schnell wrote:
I see discussions regarding the finer points between Northern, Southern, the South-West, Welsh, Irish or not, British or not. Yet 315 million people spread over 3.79 million square miles (9,83 million km2) are called "the Americans". Apparently finer points don't apply to this continent.

I always appreciate your ability to get to the point so clearly... well said!

The post was in response to:

tell your fellow Britons that it is absolutely inappropriate to address an American woman with: "Dear" or, worst of all: "Love".

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:22
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Jun 20, 2013

[Edited at 2013-06-20 23:03 GMT]

Norskpro
Norskpro
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Does it matter? Jun 20, 2013

Whether "Have a nice day" is sincere, insincere, American, un-British, does it really matter? People say phrases like "Good morning","Good afternoon" and "Good night", whether it comes from the depth of their hearts or not. @Tom in London, imagine if you have just said good night to someone and they are planning on committing a murder! All those phrases that are used every day may not seem sincere, if you want to analyze every little phrase. Farewell, have a good day, have a nice day, they are ... See more
Whether "Have a nice day" is sincere, insincere, American, un-British, does it really matter? People say phrases like "Good morning","Good afternoon" and "Good night", whether it comes from the depth of their hearts or not. @Tom in London, imagine if you have just said good night to someone and they are planning on committing a murder! All those phrases that are used every day may not seem sincere, if you want to analyze every little phrase. Farewell, have a good day, have a nice day, they are all variations on the same theme. They are courtesy statements; the glue in people's daily interaction. Maybe the reason many British people cringe at the expression "Have a nice day" has to do with snobbery. I learned early on from English friends "don't ever use the word nice. It is considered very common." It is such a good term, covering so many situations, that it is not easy to find a replacement for it.Collapse

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Helmut Schleich complaining about the "new friendliness", Jun 20, 2013

that is:

Have a nice day./Schönen Tag noch.

Have fun with it./Viel Spaß damit.

Unfortunately in German only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cPkUuRWadU

from 3.53

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
The kind of people I avoid like the plague Jun 20, 2013

Norskpro wrote:
Maybe the reason many British people cringe at the expression "Have a nice day" has to do with snobbery. I learned early on from English friends "don't ever use the word nice. It is considered very common." It is such a good term, covering so many situations, that it is not easy to find a replacement for it.

I don't mean to criticize your friends, but that does sound like an incredibly snobbish thing to say. Fortunately, we aren't all snobs (or perhaps we're all snobs in different ways about different things! ).

Anyway, I agree with you about these phrases being "social glue". They're just phatic expressions , not meant to communicate information or be especially meaningful.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
I always have a lot of fun Jun 20, 2013

Reading you EN native discussing about your own language and disagreeing, this could never happen with Italian (a small language spoken by only 60 million people).

I follow your discussions for learning something new about your wonderful language, but this is virtually impossible as you never agree, even among Brits.

Strastran (X)
Strastran (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
? Jun 20, 2013

Norskpro wrote:

I learned early on from English friends "don't ever use the word nice. It is considered very common."

Good grief. That's absolute nonsense I'm afraid.

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Common Jun 20, 2013

Norskpro wrote:

Maybe the reason many British people cringe at the expression "Have a nice day" has to do with snobbery. I learned early on from English friends "don't ever use the word nice. It is considered very common." It is such a good term, covering so many situations, that it is not easy to find a replacement for it.

Are you sure they didn't mean "common" as in "overused", rather than "plebeian"?

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
Have a nice day/Buona giornata Jun 20, 2013

Ty Kendall wrote:

Anyway, I agree with you about these phrases being "social glue". They're just phatic expressions , not meant to communicate information or be especially meaningful.

Social glue or perhaps social solvents.

There is nothing intrinsically awful about the phrase "have a nice day", or the Italian equivalent "buona giornata", yet both elicit negative responses - to put it mildly, in Tom's case - among some native speakers. I have plenty of Italian friends whose reaction to "buona giornata" is distinctly diffident but they're old codgers like me.

I blame the media for this. "Have a nice day" has gained currency, if not acceptance, in British English in large part thanks to the practice of broadcasting unlocalised ("undomesticated", if you prefer) North American films and TV series, thus conferring disproportionate visibility, by reason of its infrequency in UK speech, on what is actually a very common idiom in the US.

Similarly in Italy, phrases like "buona giornata" and "cùrati/abbi cura di te (take care)" are used far more frequently in the dubbed soundtracks of popular American films and TV serials than is normal in the corresponding contexts in everyday speech.

FWIW

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
me too Jun 20, 2013

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Reading you EN native discussing about your own language and disagreeing, this could never happen with Italian (a small language spoken by only 60 million people).

I follow your discussions for learning something new about your wonderful language, but this is virtually impossible as you never agree, even among Brits.

It's really quite fun, seeing who's coming down on which side: I'd actually like to start a controversial topic and try to guess in advance who's going to argue what whether black is white or not

with a prize for longest, funniest and most convincing posts

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Nice Jun 20, 2013

Lisa Simpson, MCIL wrote:

Norskpro wrote:

Are you sure they didn't mean "common" as in "overused", rather than "plebeian"?

I'm sure some people will say it's common, not in the overused sense, though I think I was encouraged (at school) not to overuse it and to find a variety of alternatives when writing.
It's just reminded me of that song about "Niceness" by Dame Edna Everage

[Edited at 2013-06-20 22:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-06-21 07:33 GMT]

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
(Not enough creativity to come up with a title tonight, sorry) Jun 20, 2013

Tom in London wrote:

"Have a nice day" is perceived as arrogant, presumptuous, unacceptably "forward", invasive, and verging on the personally offensive.

After all: my day, and whether or not it might prove to be "nice" (which is a horrible word at the best of times), is really none of your business.

Well, wishing someone a nice day seems to refer to whatever would make the day nice to that person (rather than the person wishing) and without actually prying into what that could be. Sort of like, 'may your day please you.' After all, 'goodbye' is, 'God be with ye,' and 'farewell' is self-evident. Why pick at, 'have a nice day,' then?

Edit: Ooops, I've just realised that I might not always enjoy it in Polish, after all... 'I wish you a good day,' (that's three words actually) said in a polite way is all right and actually on the courteous side, but a simple 'good day' could feel a bit too forward coming from a stranger. It's slightly cheesy even among friends, which it stops being when you add the magical first person verb that changes everything.

[Edited at 2013-06-20 21:37 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not a Briton Jun 21, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:

....tell your fellow Britons ....

I don't have any fellow Britons, nor fellow-Britons either. I'm not British.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have a nice day??

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »