Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:23
French to English
submission Apr 13, 2016

Ricki Farn wrote:

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:
The namaste is actually a safe, non-comittal, all-purpose greeting. It is not necessarily submissive, I am not sure how you got this impression.

Wild guess, because it resembles a Western praying gesture
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praying_Hands_(Dürer)
that might have entered people's subconscious.

and when a westerner prays they are typically submitting to their god

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Humbleness or submission? Apr 14, 2016

not quite the same.

In Asia, what is the difference between just a "bow" and a namaste (with hands together)? Bow is common in Japan, is it just a "hello" or "nice to meet you" or something else, and is it always used? Is it an equivalent to handshake or it has broader connotation?

Smile and grin usage also differ greatly. I mean smile translated as "hello". Or customer service people, they do not smile in some countries, while in others it is a must.

Melanie Meyer
Melanie Meyer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:23
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
Namaste versus the Thai greeting (Wai) Apr 14, 2016

Usually, both parties involved in the greeting respond in the same way, so there is no submission from either end.

Another aspect of the namaste is that it is hygienic, as noted by others. As no touching is involved, there is no transfer of disease-causing germs or dirt either!

I personally like the 'Namaste' and find it to be a very gracious type of greeting.

Bala, I would be interested to know whether it is done in the same way by both greeters, regardless of their social status, age, etc.?

I used to live in Thailand and never seemed to quite get the hang of the 'Wai' (a 'slight bow with the palms pressed together in a prayer-like fashion', much like the Namaste), because the position of the hands and the depth of the bow have to be adjusted according to who the greeters are.

Foreigners (myself included) apparently often get it wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_greeting

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 19:53
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
How to do the namaste safely! Apr 15, 2016

[quote]Melanie Meyer wrote:

Bala, I would be interested to know whether it is done in the same way by both greeters, regardless of their social status, age, etc.?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_greeting

The basic gesture of holding the two palms together and bowing a bit, is the same with both parties, but like in all gestures, there can be subtle nuances which can convey different feelings, such as - who initiates the greeting, how high are the folded palms raised, how low is the bow, how long you hold the palms together, facial expressions (smile, frown, furrowed bows, and so on), and, if you are responding to a namaste, how long you take before you respond. All these can convey how you feel towards the persion you are greeting. Sometimes, the namaste will be followed up with a back slap, or a hug, or a proper embrace.

Usually, the lower status person will start it. For example, a youngster is expected to do a namaste first to an elder person, who will then respond to it in a way he thinks fit.

People from outside the culture can easily pick up these nuances by observing how the locals do it. It is not a difficult thing to learn.

In these respects, it is similar to the handshake as all these factors also affect what is conveyed by the handshake- how much of the hand is held, is there a squeeze to the hand, is the grip limp or firm, how long does it last, is the response to a handshake offer quick enough or is it ignored or is the response delayed, etc. etc.

A tip with all these gestures is to first gain the attention of the person you are greeting, register your presence with him and with the others around him, and then go for the namaste. This way there will be less scope of the namaste going unnoticed or ignored.

Melanie Meyer
Melanie Meyer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:23
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
Interesting nuances Apr 16, 2016

[/quote]

The basic gesture of holding the two palms together and bowing a bit, is the same with both parties, but like in all gestures, there can be subtle nuances which can convey different feelings, such as - who initiates the greeting, how high are the folded palms raised, how low is the bow, how long you hold the palms together, facial expressions (smile, frown, furrowed bows, and so on), and, if you are responding to a namaste, how long you take before you respond. All these ca
... See more
[/quote]

The basic gesture of holding the two palms together and bowing a bit, is the same with both parties, but like in all gestures, there can be subtle nuances which can convey different feelings, such as - who initiates the greeting, how high are the folded palms raised, how low is the bow, how long you hold the palms together, facial expressions (smile, frown, furrowed bows, and so on), and, if you are responding to a namaste, how long you take before you respond. All these can convey how you feel towards the persion you are greeting. Sometimes, the namaste will be followed up with a back slap, or a hug, or a proper embrace.

Usually, the lower status person will start it. For example, a youngster is expected to do a namaste first to an elder person, who will then respond to it in a way he thinks fit.

People from outside the culture can easily pick up these nuances by observing how the locals do it. It is not a difficult thing to learn.

In these respects, it is similar to the handshake as all these factors also affect what is conveyed by the handshake- how much of the hand is held, is there a squeeze to the hand, is the grip limp or firm, how long does it last, is the response to a handshake offer quick enough or is it ignored or is the response delayed, etc. etc.

A tip with all these gestures is to first gain the attention of the person you are greeting, register your presence with him and with the others around him, and then go for the namaste. This way there will be less scope of the namaste going unnoticed or ignored.

[/quote]

Thank you, Bala, for responding – very interesting indeed.

First gaining the person's attention and becoming aware of your presence with them is indeed a good way of preparing for any greeting, also handshakes. There's few things more embarrassing in a greeting situation than stretching your hand out and the other person ignoring or not noticing it (as even seen with politicians and other public figures, etc.)!
Collapse

sailingshoes
sailingshoes
Spanish to English
It's 2016... Apr 19, 2016

... just hi-5 everyone. Really it doesn't matter where they're from, they'll get it. Sorry I meant: 'be down with' it.

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
I remember Apr 19, 2016

just after I arrived in Germany many moons ago I went to see a doctor who told me off in no uncertain terms for not offering my hand straight away.

Now I know it is expected I find it a great way to break the ice, none of that shifting around and vague shall I, shan't I business that used to go on when I lived in England.

I love the way that Germans knock on the table when they meet up with a group of people they know who are already sitting and generally address every
... See more
just after I arrived in Germany many moons ago I went to see a doctor who told me off in no uncertain terms for not offering my hand straight away.

Now I know it is expected I find it a great way to break the ice, none of that shifting around and vague shall I, shan't I business that used to go on when I lived in England.

I love the way that Germans knock on the table when they meet up with a group of people they know who are already sitting and generally address everybody in one go. They also do it when they leave. It certainly speeds up the goodbyes.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:23
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Partire all'inglese Apr 19, 2016

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth wrote:

.... It certainly speeds up the goodbyes.

The Italians have an expression "andar via all'inglese" or "partire all'inglese". It means just getting up and leaving the room without saying goodbye to anyone. Similarly, the English have a habit of arriving at something without saying hello to anyone, and without anyone saying hello to them. I think it all has to do with never expressing any emotion of any kind (the highest of the British virtues).

On the other hand, when an Italian says goodbye, it could be an hour or two, and many more goodbyes, before they actually leave.

[Edited at 2016-04-19 16:57 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Handshakes (non-verbal speech)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »