Kudoz Open Glossary is overstructured
Thread poster: larserik
larserik
larserik  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:47
Albanian to Swedish
Nov 23, 2007

Searching the Open Glossary is very timeconsuming, because of the very detailed separation of subjects. A maximum of ten or fifteen subject areas would make searching a lot faster.
Also when asking, the overambitious structuring is more of a nuisance than a help. Just creates a headache, which subject area to choose. At least remove the lowest level, please.
L-E

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 09:47
SITE FOUNDER
KudoZ Open Glossary is for browsing by field - you may want the term search Nov 23, 2007

Hi L-E,

The KOG was made for browsing by topic area. It sounds like you may want a simple term search? Try http://www.proz.com/wts

larserik
Sweden
Albanian to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Blushing Nov 23, 2007

Thanks a lot!

Evidently I didn't check all the features of this site. Didn't seem to help that I'm a long time ProZ user/asker/answerer. I'll try your link next time.

Then, why would somebody want to se a list of terms/translations in a specific (very narrow) field? Could I use it?

The second part of my posting - do you have an opinion on that? I feel it's wrong to specify the topic area to the current degree when asking, and looking for the best/correct fi
... See more
Thanks a lot!

Evidently I didn't check all the features of this site. Didn't seem to help that I'm a long time ProZ user/asker/answerer. I'll try your link next time.

Then, why would somebody want to se a list of terms/translations in a specific (very narrow) field? Could I use it?

The second part of my posting - do you have an opinion on that? I feel it's wrong to specify the topic area to the current degree when asking, and looking for the best/correct field in this huge list makes me think I should go back to work.
If this was levelled out, it would destroy the Open Glossary structure, of course. I might change my mind when I realize what topic browsing is good for.

L-E

[Edited at 2007-11-23 17:46]
Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:47
Spanish to English
Lars Erik has a point Nov 24, 2007

Surely the Open Glossary would be enhanced by using the old general classifications for fields -"Law/Patents" etc.- The subfields are too detailed and rely on the questioner and the person consulting the glossary having the same idea of the subfield into which the term in its context fits.

I consult the Open Glossary all the time and would appreciate being able to use Fields to limit the answers, but at the moment I can't.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Agree with Lars Erik. Nov 26, 2007

The very fine structure makes it impossible to place a lot of terms, because they do not fit under existing categories.

Where under medicine do you place rheumatology, for instance? I could mention dozens more examples.

Could we have a non-categorised alphabetical glossary to browse in, please?

This would make it possible to find misplaced terms and related terms quickly - and might provide a lot of useful 'hits'.

I don't know whether it would
... See more
The very fine structure makes it impossible to place a lot of terms, because they do not fit under existing categories.

Where under medicine do you place rheumatology, for instance? I could mention dozens more examples.

Could we have a non-categorised alphabetical glossary to browse in, please?

This would make it possible to find misplaced terms and related terms quickly - and might provide a lot of useful 'hits'.

I don't know whether it would be difficult to program and implement, but surely it would not be impossible?

It might also help with identifying source text typos that are not real terms, too, so that it was not necessary to post questions about them. Under the present system they get into the glossary, and they do not improve its quality IMHO.

Just my two cents!

[Edited at 2007-11-26 08:21]
Collapse

larserik
Sweden
Albanian to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Searching from Google Nov 30, 2007

I tried searching from outside of ProZ, by entering *"search word" site:proz.com* in Google's search box. It works better than going through the list of topics. But it gives me the same hit 91 times, with a whole bunch of different language ProZ interfaces. Adding *Swedish* helps (10 hits), and adding *english-to-swedish* gives 6 hits -- still some hits where only the interface language differs. Would be nice to have it restricted to the language I work in.

Suggestions, anybody?
... See more
I tried searching from outside of ProZ, by entering *"search word" site:proz.com* in Google's search box. It works better than going through the list of topics. But it gives me the same hit 91 times, with a whole bunch of different language ProZ interfaces. Adding *Swedish* helps (10 hits), and adding *english-to-swedish* gives 6 hits -- still some hits where only the interface language differs. Would be nice to have it restricted to the language I work in.

Suggestions, anybody?

[Edited at 2007-11-30 13:54]
Collapse

larserik
Sweden
Albanian to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
"Field" is no limit...? Dec 1, 2007

The way term searching works isn't quite obvious (to me). I tried "dwell" with a few different fields and got the same four hits with all of them - also hits with no connection to the field I chose.

Then I found that "field" isn't necessary at all. I can choose ANY and have hits from "any" field!

Am I a clumsy newbie, or am I the first to use it the way it was intended?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz Open Glossary is overstructured

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »