Nadja Balogh
Nadja Balogh  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:11
Member (2007)
Japanese to German
+ ...
Nov 11, 2007

My main language pair being Japanese to German, I was quite disappointed to find that the last time a KudoZ question has been posted for this pair was in late 2006...

Being relatively new on this site, I haven't yet figured out if the main purpose of this whole KudoZ system is to help people or to give translators a chance to distinguish themselves - but if the latter is the case, that's difficult to do if nobody ever asks questions in the language combination where I feel I could r
... See more
My main language pair being Japanese to German, I was quite disappointed to find that the last time a KudoZ question has been posted for this pair was in late 2006...

Being relatively new on this site, I haven't yet figured out if the main purpose of this whole KudoZ system is to help people or to give translators a chance to distinguish themselves - but if the latter is the case, that's difficult to do if nobody ever asks questions in the language combination where I feel I could really make worthwhile contributions.

Or is the idea that, in case of language pairs with fewer questions asked, there is also no need to distinguish oneself, because no questions asked equals not many translators handling this language combination, and thus not too much competition?
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 08:11
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Hi Nadja Nov 11, 2007

The only reason for that is, I guess, that there might be other lists or groups where Jap-German translators share their doubts or they are used to work on their own, alone and with no exchange.

May I suggest that you promote the KudoZ page among your pairs?

Obviously, when there are 5 people using a language pair kudoz page it's difficult to say that it has the same value than in the language pairs in which there is a hard competition and 5 people answer within the sam
... See more
The only reason for that is, I guess, that there might be other lists or groups where Jap-German translators share their doubts or they are used to work on their own, alone and with no exchange.

May I suggest that you promote the KudoZ page among your pairs?

Obviously, when there are 5 people using a language pair kudoz page it's difficult to say that it has the same value than in the language pairs in which there is a hard competition and 5 people answer within the same minute the question was asked (this happens!).

The only idea I heve is promoting it, maybe somebody else can think of something else.

Claudia
Collapse

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 08:11
My language pair has the same problem Nov 11, 2007

Hi nadja,

We are on the same boat.

For the language pair German-Chinese there are 3 to 4 translators, who participate Kudo activities regularly, whereas more than 30 translators with different expertise are active in the English-Chinese pair. It happened several times, that some sophisticated German-Chinese questions remained unanswered for more than 24 hours, and the asker had to switch to German-English, then English-Chinese to get an answer. In other cases, some rat
... See more
Hi nadja,

We are on the same boat.

For the language pair German-Chinese there are 3 to 4 translators, who participate Kudo activities regularly, whereas more than 30 translators with different expertise are active in the English-Chinese pair. It happened several times, that some sophisticated German-Chinese questions remained unanswered for more than 24 hours, and the asker had to switch to German-English, then English-Chinese to get an answer. In other cases, some rather go to German monolingual, where they could already come up to a term after understanding the content.

Even for the translation work, I am often given both German and English texts as the source . Or the client waits until he has an English version, from which the text is translated into other languages. For the cilient it is cheaper, faster and easier to handle.

Unfortunately it is so.

Bin

[Edited at 2007-11-11 16:19]
Collapse

Yvonne Gerstheimer (X)
Yvonne Gerstheimer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Japanese to German
+ ...
Hi Nadja Nov 12, 2007

I know what you are talking about I am a proz-member for a few weeks longer than you are, but I was quite astonished about the slow Kudoz-productivity in the Japanese to German pair as well. I got once an email from another proz-member, asking me about a term. This member had the same reason for not posting in the Kudoz-section as Bin pointed out. Instead of wasting precious time the member rather asked directly for another opinio... See more
I know what you are talking about I am a proz-member for a few weeks longer than you are, but I was quite astonished about the slow Kudoz-productivity in the Japanese to German pair as well. I got once an email from another proz-member, asking me about a term. This member had the same reason for not posting in the Kudoz-section as Bin pointed out. Instead of wasting precious time the member rather asked directly for another opinion.

There have been quite a few discussions on the topic whether many Kudoz-points really boost receiving jobs because you show your knowledge or whether it just tells the client you have too much time on your hand, e.g. here (German):

http://www.proz.com/topic/85717

I received several Japanese-German jobs through Proz without applying for them and as you can imagine I haven't collected Kudoz-points in the Japanese-German pair so far either. So I am quite certain Kudoz was not the base of their choice.

I personally think there are translators who see Kudoz as a chance to distinguish themselves (might be useful in crowded pairs) and there are translators who really just want to help each other. I see Kudoz as a helpful database and since I work alone in my home office I am glad that help is just one click away.

Anyways, I am sure I'll post in the Kudoz-section, if I have to translate a term I have problems with.

Viele Grüße
Yvonne
Collapse

Nadja Balogh
Nadja Balogh  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Japanese to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
KudoZ points don't seem to be necessary Nov 12, 2007

Hi Yvonne,

You're absolutely right - it seems that even without KudoZ points, it is entirely possible to receive work in our language pair.
Thinking about it, I should actually be grateful for this silence of our colleagues, because looking at other, more common language pairs this scrambling for points seems very much like a stressful rat race which I am quite happy to live without.

Still it would be nice to see some more activity, because I think it's actually
... See more
Hi Yvonne,

You're absolutely right - it seems that even without KudoZ points, it is entirely possible to receive work in our language pair.
Thinking about it, I should actually be grateful for this silence of our colleagues, because looking at other, more common language pairs this scrambling for points seems very much like a stressful rat race which I am quite happy to live without.

Still it would be nice to see some more activity, because I think it's actually an interesting challenge to find a good translation for some expression - so I'm looking forward to your question (and I hope I'll be able to answer it too )

Viele Grüße,
Nadja
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Give of your knowledge Nov 12, 2007

I'm a bit of a Kudoz addict - I just love trying to solve the puzzles that people post, and of course I like it if people agree with me and/or award me points, I shan't deny it.

That is something which, as a translator working in one of the less common pair, you are unlikely to enjoy.

But I'm just as pleased to find out things which I didn't know before, by reading other entries, sometimes in pairs which are one of my languages and another which I can vaguely follow bu
... See more
I'm a bit of a Kudoz addict - I just love trying to solve the puzzles that people post, and of course I like it if people agree with me and/or award me points, I shan't deny it.

That is something which, as a translator working in one of the less common pair, you are unlikely to enjoy.

But I'm just as pleased to find out things which I didn't know before, by reading other entries, sometimes in pairs which are one of my languages and another which I can vaguely follow but don't have mastery over.

And likewise I quite often add a comment in language pairs which are not my own, where I cannot offer a translation but can offer relevant information. For example I recently saw an enquiry about types of bank account in Spain for translation into German. I wasn't able to offer a translation but I was able to explain exactly what type of account was being asked about because I have local knowledge. I hope this helped other Prozians, and I would certainly appreciate similar help when I post queries.
Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:11
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Make it happen Nov 13, 2007

I can't help you directly, but here are some suggestions you can do to try livening up the Japanese-German KudoZ site.

On ProZ there are 29 listings in this language combination.
When you deduct the "we will do anything" agency entries, there are still at least 20 names left.

Why not make a joint effort between you to send a note those people through their ProZ profile, saying that you would like to liven up the exchange between the Japanese-German translators, a
... See more
I can't help you directly, but here are some suggestions you can do to try livening up the Japanese-German KudoZ site.

On ProZ there are 29 listings in this language combination.
When you deduct the "we will do anything" agency entries, there are still at least 20 names left.

Why not make a joint effort between you to send a note those people through their ProZ profile, saying that you would like to liven up the exchange between the Japanese-German translators, and hope that they will show more interest and participate in KudoZ more frequently in the future. Not so much for the points, but for the benefit of this select group of translators; yourselves.

The next step would be to post entries, even when you have some idea for the answer, but it would be nice to get confirmation from your fellow translators.

By selecting this KudoZ pair as one of your choices to receive all questions from, you would be alerted every time a question is posted, (and you could suggest to the others to do the same), and the site may come to life.

Good luck.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My major language pair and KudoZ

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »