Thread poster: Melissa McMahon
Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:57
German to English
+ ...
Agree with Christine Jun 28, 2007

and all the others who don't thank agreers.

The "thank you" craze has now also infiltrated the "Notes to answerer" box. If you have something related to the Q/A to say, that's fine, but you can thank the answerers when you close the question.

I know, I'm not making myself very popular...

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 02:57
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
To thank or not to thank.... Jun 28, 2007

Well, if the thanks are only for the time taken etc. and not for support in the game, then those who disagree should be thanked as well, shouldn't they? Yet, it happens quite rarely...

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
For what do I thank the agreer?? Jun 28, 2007

We, the answerers, help the asker.

If I give a helpful answer and others think so, the only appropriate thanking party is the asker.
S/he does it in the form of KudoZ points to the most helpful answer.
S/he could of course like to thank the agreers who also helped him/her making the decision.

Why I, as answerer should say thank you to those who agree with my answer, I have never understood.

Is it a Thank you for support or for the effort?
... See more
We, the answerers, help the asker.

If I give a helpful answer and others think so, the only appropriate thanking party is the asker.
S/he does it in the form of KudoZ points to the most helpful answer.
S/he could of course like to thank the agreers who also helped him/her making the decision.

Why I, as answerer should say thank you to those who agree with my answer, I have never understood.

Is it a Thank you for support or for the effort?

To me, it has dubious ring to it.

It has nothing to do with courtesy or lack of it.

IMHO

Best

Mats Wiman
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:57
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Feedback and social aspect Jun 28, 2007

I thank those who agree with me because they have taken the time to consider my answer and provide feedback. For the same reason I also thank those who provide a neutral comment or disagree.

I think there is also a social aspect to saying "thanks" - sort of a virtual smile and "Hi!" as our paths cross in cyberspace.

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
For me it's a part of my language Jun 28, 2007

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Agree-ers don't try to help and support you, they just nod in agreement and "applaud" your suggestion, often accompanied by a nice remark or even a suggestion to improve the answer. What's wrong with saying thanks?

Thank you for posting, Nicole... I agree on that

I know it's not the same in other languages, but in catalan, my native language, this "thanks" is something you say continuously... many foreigners have told me that they were a bit shocked to hear so many "thanks" for so many things from catalan speakers !!

That's why I find it so natural. Let people do as they like...

Ruth @ MW

Liliana Roman-Hamilton
Liliana Roman-Hamilton  Identity Verified
English to Italian
Am I missing something here? Jun 28, 2007

If I don't remember wrong, some time ago there was a forum similar to this one where someone complained about the fact that the asker and/or the answerers were NOT thanking the colleagues for taking time to help with their answers, tips, suggestions etc. Now you are fussing about why people DO thank. So basically it's bad if you don't thank and it's annoying if you do thank.

It's a question of politeness to thank the colleagues that have taken some time to help you. Can't y
... See more
If I don't remember wrong, some time ago there was a forum similar to this one where someone complained about the fact that the asker and/or the answerers were NOT thanking the colleagues for taking time to help with their answers, tips, suggestions etc. Now you are fussing about why people DO thank. So basically it's bad if you don't thank and it's annoying if you do thank.

It's a question of politeness to thank the colleagues that have taken some time to help you. Can't you spend 10 seconds of your equally precious time to thank? What's the dig deal?! And if you don't want to receive the email notifications, there is a function that you can use in order NOT to receive them. Easy, painless....priceless!

I really don't understand why we even bother at this point with the tedious talk, as we are never happy about anything.
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
It is a form of communication Jun 28, 2007

Thanking the agreer is a form of communication. Sometimes the two people concerned may take a look at one another's profiles. In this way we get to know colleagues, and sometimes, at this point, networking begins...

I see it primarily as a form of networking - or, in the case of someone you already personally know - maintaining networking relationships. It is just one of many networking opportunities.

Astrid

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 20:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thank you, Michele. Jun 29, 2007

Michele Fauble wrote:

I thank those who agree with me because they have taken the time to consider my answer and provide feedback. For the same reason I also thank those who provide a neutral comment or disagree.

I think there is also a social aspect to saying "thanks" - sort of a virtual smile and "Hi!" as our paths cross in cyberspace.

Michele, you have written the words that I was trying to find. Thank you!

I, too, thank people who disagree, because the dialogue helps everyone. And it's all part of the social aspect of KudoZ. I, for one, am starved for social contact with other "crazy language-obsessed" people!

By the way, I don't see very many from the Spanish/English community commenting in this forum. For the most part, we all thank everybody, every time!

Bottom line: If you feel like thanking (or responding in some other way--maybe just "Hi!"), do it. If you don't, don't. And don't worry about it.

Patrice
Patrice  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
This is my reason too.... Jun 29, 2007

Michele Fauble wrote:

If I can think of something wittier than thanks, I try for that, but it is just that human communication thing.

[Edited at 2007-06-29 04:22]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
If the thanks appeared immediately, I'd use it... Jun 29, 2007

If the 'thanks' appeared immediately on screen for the agreer to see, I would certainly use it. But there is a delay, maybe of hours or even days, in an e-mail dialogue. By that time a one-word e-mail, however politely meant, is just a distraction to me.

THANKS to all who help with KudoZ, and thanks for those who corroborate my answers, and especially those who comment on my guesses and tentative suggestions, confirming or refuting them - then I can learn from them for another time.
... See more
If the 'thanks' appeared immediately on screen for the agreer to see, I would certainly use it. But there is a delay, maybe of hours or even days, in an e-mail dialogue. By that time a one-word e-mail, however politely meant, is just a distraction to me.

THANKS to all who help with KudoZ, and thanks for those who corroborate my answers, and especially those who comment on my guesses and tentative suggestions, confirming or refuting them - then I can learn from them for another time. Jabberwock is right - we should in fact thank those who DISagree with a good explanation and correct any misunderstanding!!! Sometimes I do thank them.

But for the reasons I explained before, I don't send one-word mails of thanks to those who just hit the 'agree' button. That 'send me the response' option is really brilliant!

[Edited at 2007-06-29 07:41]
Collapse

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
@ Jabberwock, Lilliana and Kim Jun 29, 2007

Jabberwock wrote:

Well, if the thanks are only for the time taken etc. and not for support in the game, then those who disagree should be thanked as well, shouldn't they? Yet, it happens quite rarely...

Let's not be hypocritical. I would not "thank" a disagreer, but I would certainly ask (in a polite manner) the disagreer the argument/reason for disagreeing and, if the disagreer proves to me with rational and clear examples that my answer is wrong, then I would certainly at least acknowledge this.

Liliana Roman-Hamilton wrote:
If I don't remember wrong, some time ago there was a forum similar to this one where someone complained about the fact that the asker and/or the answerers were NOT thanking the colleagues for taking time to help with their answers, tips, suggestions etc.

I think it is a different story that an *asker* does not take the time to thank answerers than thanking an agreer. Leaving the choice of the right answer to the "robot" (based on the number of agrees) is not always the best solution, so an asker should bother to take the time first to choose the best answer and second to thank those who helped the asker.

But you're right, we're never happy with anything, are we?

Kim Metzger wrote:

But I stopped giving thanks for "agrees" long ago because I felt too many colleagues were thanking peer agreers for the wrong reasons, i.e. for helping them win the KudoZ game rather than for supporting a well-documented and viable translation, and I simply didn't want to participate in something that could mislead the asker.

If you know *your* reasons for doing something, why should you change your behavior about something? It's almost like saying (and sorry if the analogy sounds a bit far-fetch), that I (who let's say believed in the value of funding non-profit organizations) should stop giving money to non-profit organizations because I know that a lot of rich people do this merely to get tax deductions.

Best,

Ivette

[Edited at 2007-06-29 11:07]

Beatriz Galiano (X)
Beatriz Galiano (X)
Argentina
Local time: 21:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
hi Jun 29, 2007

I am also a newcomer and I do not thank agreers, first because it takes a lot of time and second, because I do not take it personally, my answer might or might not be the best and by agreeing the other person is saying(in my opinion): yes, your answer is right. If it is right, why do I need to thank?

Do I have to thank those who are trying to be fair in their choice? Maybe... or do I have to thank those who are able to judge-in a given case- which the best answer is?

O
... See more
I am also a newcomer and I do not thank agreers, first because it takes a lot of time and second, because I do not take it personally, my answer might or might not be the best and by agreeing the other person is saying(in my opinion): yes, your answer is right. If it is right, why do I need to thank?

Do I have to thank those who are trying to be fair in their choice? Maybe... or do I have to thank those who are able to judge-in a given case- which the best answer is?

On the other hand, there is a very strong element of 'relativity' in all answers since many times we dont have enough context, and I sometimes feel like I'm shooting in the dark. So sometimes I prefer not to answer if I feel there isnt enough context for me to decide.

It's a nice way of communicating with others though.

[Edited at 2007-06-29 11:36]

[Edited at 2007-06-29 13:27]
Collapse

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 21:57
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Depends Jun 29, 2007

Hi Liliana, thanks for sharing your opinions with us!
Liliana Galiano wrote:
I do not thank agreers, first because it takes a lot of time and second, because I do not take it personally, my answer may be the best or not and by agreeing the other person is saying(in my opinion): yes, your answer is right.

The response is "optional", so there's no obligation.

As a matter of fact: the responses to Agree-ers are a possible way of amicably discussing issues. A typical case: when the person puts a Neutral opinion - that's perhaps one of the best ways to start a new topic discussion!
On the other hand, there is a very strong element of 'relativity' in all answers since many times we dont have enough context, and I sometimes feel like I'm shooting in the dark.

I absolutely agree: there's a lot of relativity!
It's a nice way of communicating with others though.

And of re-meeting long-forgotten relationships, too!

Regards,
Fabio

[Edited at 2007-07-01 22:08]

Vladimir Baranich
Vladimir Baranich  Identity Verified
Russian
+ ...
it's a race Jun 30, 2007

Since I'm new to proz and don't know how KudoZ looked originally, I can only share my present observations. It seems to me that KudoZ is more a place for gaining "weight" with all those points to promote oneself to the upper position in directory list. With every "agree" there's better chance to win the race, and thanks come very natural. Here's kind of race where answerers try to outrun each other to win the prize. But without such competitiveness there won't be many willing to help. Sort of ci... See more
Since I'm new to proz and don't know how KudoZ looked originally, I can only share my present observations. It seems to me that KudoZ is more a place for gaining "weight" with all those points to promote oneself to the upper position in directory list. With every "agree" there's better chance to win the race, and thanks come very natural. Here's kind of race where answerers try to outrun each other to win the prize. But without such competitiveness there won't be many willing to help. Sort of circulus vituosus.Collapse

Melissa McMahon
Melissa McMahon  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 10:57
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
conversational styles Jul 2, 2007

Completely coincidentally, I find myself reading the book by linguist Deborah Tannen on different conversational 'styles' and the misunderstandings they can lead to (title: "That's not what I meant!").

It's very interesting not only on different people's understanding and expression of what 'politeness' is but also the idea of 'framing', ie what we think we are 'doing' in a given speech context (showing camaraderie, being polite, winning a race, etc.), and how when these differ, mis
... See more
Completely coincidentally, I find myself reading the book by linguist Deborah Tannen on different conversational 'styles' and the misunderstandings they can lead to (title: "That's not what I meant!").

It's very interesting not only on different people's understanding and expression of what 'politeness' is but also the idea of 'framing', ie what we think we are 'doing' in a given speech context (showing camaraderie, being polite, winning a race, etc.), and how when these differ, misunderstandings can arise.

My impression though is that there's room for a lot of different styles here, and I appreciate once again all of the feedback.

MM
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Giving thanks to agree-ers - why?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »