Thread poster: Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:04
German to English
+ ...
Dec 11, 2005

When a ProZ member registers, in his profile, that he translates from Language S to language T, he should be encouraged to register an "interest" in translation from T to S. Since I recently did this for myself, I have had the satisfaction of being able to explain (in KudoZ) the real meaning of some English source sentences or to point out errors in them, when the answers offered show that the native users of the target languages did not correctly understand the source.

I have the i
... See more
When a ProZ member registers, in his profile, that he translates from Language S to language T, he should be encouraged to register an "interest" in translation from T to S. Since I recently did this for myself, I have had the satisfaction of being able to explain (in KudoZ) the real meaning of some English source sentences or to point out errors in them, when the answers offered show that the native users of the target languages did not correctly understand the source.

I have the impression that this is not already commonly done and I wonder how it can be encouraged. Perhaps an automatic reminder on log-in - but then only every n-th login (e.g. n=10) or every week. (Or even do it automatically!)
This idea has a vague relationship to Todd Field's posting of 28 September.

("his", "he" etc for brevity, not sexism).

Oliver

[Edited at 2005-12-11 20:36]
Collapse

Mikhail Kropotov
Mikhail Kropotov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:04
English to Russian
+ ...
As long as ... Dec 11, 2005

As long as that doesn't prompt members to register language pairs in which they don't translate, I think it's a good idea!

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Great idea Dec 11, 2005

Yes, I also had the impression that the translators of the opposite pair would be in many cases of great help ! Most of the posts in kudoZ deal with difficulties in understanding the source, more than with difficulties in finding the target words...

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 18:04
Member (2003)
French to English
Interesting idea but Dec 12, 2005

I was under the impression that we should only put up language pairs in which we actually work. I could put up a couple other language pairs in which I have a good level of knowledge, but I do not work in those language pairs, and I would not want to let anyone think that I do.

Malgorzata Stolarska
Malgorzata Stolarska
Italian to Polish
+ ...
add them as interest Dec 12, 2005

You can mark this language pairs as your languages of interest. They don't appear in visitor's view of your profile but the questions made about this language pairs in KudoZ appear when you click on "your pairs"

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 18:04
Member (2003)
French to English
Thanks, Malgorzata Dec 12, 2005

Malgorzata Stolarska wrote:

You can mark this language pairs as your languages of interest. They don't appear in visitor's view of your profile but the questions made about this language pairs in KudoZ appear when you click on "your pairs"

I will do so as soon as I get a chance.:)

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:04
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to "register an interest" Dec 12, 2005

Malgorzata Stolarska wrote:

Exactly so: The procedure seems to have changed since I did this, so when I wrote 'register an "interest" in translation from T to S' it was perhaps not clear what I meant.
To do this now:
Go to your profile and click on "edit languages". In the "add a new language pair" part you can add a language pair for your "opposite direction" pair, but ensure that the box "show this language pair in my profile" is NOT ticked. Then this pair will appear as "(interest)" when you look at your own profile with "owner's view" but other people don't see it.
When you go to Answer Questions in Kudoz, you see questions for all your language pairs, including those not "shown in my profile".
Oliver

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Nice one. Dec 17, 2005

Thanks Oliver, and everyone else.
I was wondering how to do that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Register language pairs in both directions

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »