Small job into many languages posted as KudoZ questions
Thread poster: Katalin Horváth McClure
writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
If people refused to answer them........ Jul 27, 2009

Tom in London wrote:

You can't expect Kudoz to magically filter out all those questions!

[Edited at 2009-07-27 08:43 GMT]

If people refused to "help" others come up with clever marketing slogans (part of the job they cheerfully accepted I'd have thought), then these questions would gradually disappear.
Unfortunately grandstanding is a big part of the Kudoz scene.........

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:42
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tom, you misquoted me Jul 27, 2009

Tom,
Would you mind editing your post?
You quoted me mentioning picking others' brains, but it was not me saying that, it was writeaway.

In fact, (this is more for writeaway), my question was NOT about those kind of questions. I have a different opinion about those, but I do not want to discuss it in this thread, as I would like to get a clear answer to the original question from ProZ staff.
Going off-topic will not help in that, I am afraid.
Thanks for your
... See more
Tom,
Would you mind editing your post?
You quoted me mentioning picking others' brains, but it was not me saying that, it was writeaway.

In fact, (this is more for writeaway), my question was NOT about those kind of questions. I have a different opinion about those, but I do not want to discuss it in this thread, as I would like to get a clear answer to the original question from ProZ staff.
Thanks for your cooperation.

Katalin
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Sorry-had no I idea I was off-topic Jul 27, 2009

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

Thanks for your cooperation.

Katalin

Sorry, I thought I was on-topic. I consider any marketing slogan as a job unto itself. I don't see that it makes much difference if it's posted in one language pair or in several. Anyway, there is nothing new about a slogan job being posted as a Kudoz question in a number of language pairs at the same time. And complaints about it never go anywhere. Askers have all the rights and questioning them is off-limits.

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There is no rule about it, so I asked for a clear answer Jul 27, 2009

writeaway wrote:
And complaints about it never go anywhere. Askers have all the rights and questioning them is off-limits.

Look, I do not see a rule or a FAQ dealing with this situation, it is not clear to me whether it is an accepted use or not. That's why I asked here, in the forum, to see what others thought, and also, to get the "official" standpoint from Staff.

This is not a complaint, and not questioning anybody's rights. I asked which side (acceptable vs. not accpetable) this case falls on.

I may never get an answer - although I hope I do - but I thought I would try.
Maybe you gave up long ago, and decided not to ask questions. I respect your decision.

My decision was to ask. Please respect that. Comments saying it never goes anywhere (although this may be your true experience) are discouraging me and others to voice our opinion.

Thank you
Katalin

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:42
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
These questions do not depart from site rules Jul 27, 2009

Hi all,

Asking a term from one language into more than one target language in separate KudoZ questions is not against site rules.

Also, including in the explanation area of the question the fact that the desired term will be used in a marketing context does not depart from the term help objective, nor from site rules.

Regards,
Enrique

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It is not a word, it is a slogan that represent the entire job Jul 27, 2009

Enrique,
As I stated in my original posting, the KudoZ questions I am referring to are not asking for help with a "term". It is a question that contains a full sentence, or a shorter slogan containing several words. The asker is not a translator in the language pairs he/she is asking, and the posted question includes the entire job.

By the way, I never said it was in a "marketing context". Others brought that up.
What I was saying is that it is not somebody asking how to
... See more
Enrique,
As I stated in my original posting, the KudoZ questions I am referring to are not asking for help with a "term". It is a question that contains a full sentence, or a shorter slogan containing several words. The asker is not a translator in the language pairs he/she is asking, and the posted question includes the entire job.

By the way, I never said it was in a "marketing context". Others brought that up.
What I was saying is that it is not somebody asking how to say his name in a multitude of languages, it is somebody that takes a job that involves translating a slogen or some other standalone sentence into several languages, and then posts it as KudoZ questions.

In other words, is this the right way of doing this, instead of posting it as a job? If it is for an NGO, the job posting rules state that payment is not required, so it is OK to ask for Pro-Bono work. As far as I know, the job posting can contain a "sample text" that must be translated when someone submits an application, so that slogen or sentence could be included there. Isn't it the right way of dealing with these jobs?
At least this is what I would think to do in such a situation.
It is even simpler than posting individual KudoZ questions in multiple pairs, and the limit on the number of questions asked in a period would not apply either.

Would you please make a statement based on the clarification above?
Thanks
Katalin
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Definitions Jul 27, 2009

Hi Katalin,

The clarification of what constitutes "term help" as defined in rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_general/1.1#1.1 can be found in this FAQ.

The rules do not take into account what percentage of the total job is covered by any individual KudoZ question.

Regards
... See more
Hi Katalin,

The clarification of what constitutes "term help" as defined in rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_general/1.1#1.1 can be found in this FAQ.

The rules do not take into account what percentage of the total job is covered by any individual KudoZ question.

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Sara M
Sara M  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:42
Spanish to French
+ ...
well... Jul 27, 2009

In one of my pairs, one asker keeps asking and asking VERY EASY questions, getting the job done for free by the colleagues. After 1500 questions and 0 answers, some of us decided to tell her she could maybe consider another job, because it was obvious she was not able to cope with her translations. We also alerted the staff about what we considered an abuse.

Well...all we got was a WARNING! Of course, rule number x says we're not allowed to comment on the asker's decision to post a
... See more
In one of my pairs, one asker keeps asking and asking VERY EASY questions, getting the job done for free by the colleagues. After 1500 questions and 0 answers, some of us decided to tell her she could maybe consider another job, because it was obvious she was not able to cope with her translations. We also alerted the staff about what we considered an abuse.

Well...all we got was a WARNING! Of course, rule number x says we're not allowed to comment on the asker's decision to post a question, blah blah blah....

The Proz staff is becoming more and more funny....
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I read the rules and the FAQ, I am still asking Jul 27, 2009

Enrique wrote:

Hi Katalin,

Thank you, I have read these, and they did not help. (Maybe I am just dumb...)

Anyway, I think it may be more productive if I illustrate my question with an example.
Let's say I have a job to provide translation for a label "Your seat is also a flotation device" in 12 different languages (I only speak one of them).

What is the right way of obtaining these translations?

A: Post the text "Your seat is also a flotation device" as a KudoZ question in each of the 11 languages that I don’t speak.
OR
B: Post the job as a job into 11 languages using the Job board. (If my job is for an NGO and I do not get paid, I can provide the link to the NGO and specify the job as Pro Bono.)

Could you please answer whether A or B is the proper use of ProZ systems in this case?

Yeah, but isn't it an abuse to break up an entire job and post it as a series of KudoZ questions?

Katalin

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Site rules Jul 27, 2009

Sara M wrote:

Well...all we got was a WARNING! Of course, rule number x says we're not allowed to comment on the asker's decision to post a question, blah blah blah....

The Proz staff is becoming more and more funny....

You are talking about rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_answ/3.7#3.7 and it has been around for a long time.

Regards,
Enrique

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
This should be evaluated in a case-by-case basis. Jul 27, 2009

Enrique wrote:

Hi Katalin,

Thank you, I have read these, and they did not help. (Maybe I am just dumb...)

Anyway, I think it may be more productive if I illustrate my question with an example.
Let's say I have a job to provide translation for a label "Your seat is also a flotation device" in 12 different languages (I only speak one of them).

A: Post the text "Your seat is also a flotation device" as a KudoZ question in each of the 11 languages that I don’t speak.
OR
B: Post the job as a job into 11 languages using the Job board. (If my job is for an NGO and I do not get paid, I can provide the link to the NGO and specify the job as Pro Bono.)

Could you please answer whether A or B is the proper use of ProZ systems in this case?

The case of your example would not constitute a proper KudoZ question as per the criteria indicated in the above mentioned FAQ, but this adequacy should be evaluated in a case-by-case basis.

Regards,
Enrique

(edited answer -> question)

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which criteria? Then it should be posted as a job, right? Jul 27, 2009

Enrique wrote:

OR

The case of your example would not constitute a proper KudoZ answer as per the criteria indicated in the above mentioned FAQ,

I guess you meant "proper KudoZ question". Could you point out EXACTLY which criteria in the FAQ you are referring to? Please quote.

As it does not meet the criteria, then the proper way would be "B", right?
(In this specific case - you said case by case basis, so let's say in this specific case.)

Katalin

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Criterion Jul 28, 2009

Enrique wrote:

The case of your example would not constitute a proper KudoZ answer as per the criteria indicated in the above mentioned FAQ,

I guess you meant "proper KudoZ question". Could you point out EXACTLY which criteria in the FAQ you are referring to? Please quote.

A group of words (up to approximately 10) should be posted in a single question only when they constitute an unbreakable unit, such as an idiomatic expression (e.g. 'a jack of all trades and master of none') that may be several words long and where omitting any part would not formulate the question correctly.

http://www.proz.com/faq/2896#2896

Regards,
Enrique

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 28, 2009

Thank you Enrique, for the clarification.
In light of that, I just sent you an email with a link that may be worth a look.
(Due to the forum rules I cannot post it here.)
Thanks
Katalin

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
A valid kudoZ question Jul 28, 2009

Thank you Enrique, for the clarification.
In light of that, I just sent you an email with a link that may be worth a look.
(Due to the forum rules I cannot post it here.)
Thanks
Katalin

Thanks Katalin,

The question you mention in your email is a valid KudoZ question.

Regards,
Enrique

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Small job into many languages posted as KudoZ questions

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »