Matt Petrowski
Matt Petrowski
United States
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 12, 2009

Dear all,

The ability to track new KudoZ terms and responses to individual questions with RSS has been added.

Links to the feeds are available at http://www.proz.com/kudoz/ for logged-in users. From here there are links to two different feeds: one that will always mirror the results of your saved KudoZ search, and one that will reflect the results of the current, unsaved search. Chan
... See more
Dear all,

The ability to track new KudoZ terms and responses to individual questions with RSS has been added.

Links to the feeds are available at http://www.proz.com/kudoz/ for logged-in users. From here there are links to two different feeds: one that will always mirror the results of your saved KudoZ search, and one that will reflect the results of the current, unsaved search. Changing your saved search settings will affect the items displayed in the saved search feed, while the unsaved search feed will always use the same search criteria.

From within the search feed, or from within a KudoZ term answers page, there are also links to subscribe to individual KudoZ questions. These term feeds will update when new submitted answers and peer comments are posted for that term.

You can subscribe to these feeds with any RSS-capable news reader by using the links available on the site. If you encounter any issues or have questions, comments or concerns, please contact site staff via a support request.

Note that the default reader in Google Chrome is not yet supported.

Thank you to those who beta-tested, and provided feedback and suggestions for this feature before its release; your assistance is very much appreciated.

Best regards,
Matt Petrowski
ProZ.com staff
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:56
German to Spanish
Thank you Jun 12, 2009

It seems to work fine (filtered) with Google Reader.

Fernando

[Edited at 2009-06-12 20:26 GMT]

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:56
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Great idea Jun 12, 2009

I've already added a dynamic bookmark in Firefox - seems to work great

Thank you for this improvement.
S

Anja C.
Anja C.  Identity Verified
Switzerland
German
Great! Jun 12, 2009

....and much more convenient than email notifications!

Kathryn Litherland
Kathryn Litherland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:56
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
broken in Chrome? Jun 13, 2009

I was about to give you a big ole Ben Stein "AWESOME," but the RSS button/link don't appear to work in the Chrome browser. Chrome's support for RSS is mediocre, and many site-provided RSS subscribe buttons don't work. However, there are other sites where they do work, so there must be some way to provide a Chrome-compatible RSS subscribe button.

Matt Petrowski
Matt Petrowski
United States
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still no proper RSS support in Chrome, but there is a workaround Jun 13, 2009

Chrome is a great browser, but after all this time, it still has no native RSS support. However there is a workaround, described in detail here, which involves adding two links to your Chrome bookmarks bar.

One link, named "Auto-Detect RSS", automatically searches the current page you are viewing for an RSS feed and loads it, formatted correctly, in a new page. <
... See more
Chrome is a great browser, but after all this time, it still has no native RSS support. However there is a workaround, described in detail here, which involves adding two links to your Chrome bookmarks bar.

One link, named "Auto-Detect RSS", automatically searches the current page you are viewing for an RSS feed and loads it, formatted correctly, in a new page.

The other link, "View RSS Feed", will reload a currently viewed RSS feed in a readable format; you would click this after clicking the "saved search" RSS feed link at http://www.proz.com/kudoz/ for example.

Either of those bookmarks will redirect to a URL that properly displays the specified feed. You can even bookmark that new URL for one-click access to the feed, but it will not be a "live" bookmark like is available in Firefox.
Collapse

Kristina Kolic
Kristina Kolic  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Too slow in FeedDemon Jun 15, 2009

The delay in receiving new feeds for KudoZ appears to exceed two hours or more, which makes it unusable if you actually want to answer some KudoZ questions and provide assistance to askers.

This is also the case with all other RSS feeds (jobs and forum posts), reason why I continue to receive job notifications by e-mail and use RSS feeds to check that I did receive all notifications. As to forum posts, it does not bother me too much to receive the feeds and updates with some delay s
... See more
The delay in receiving new feeds for KudoZ appears to exceed two hours or more, which makes it unusable if you actually want to answer some KudoZ questions and provide assistance to askers.

This is also the case with all other RSS feeds (jobs and forum posts), reason why I continue to receive job notifications by e-mail and use RSS feeds to check that I did receive all notifications. As to forum posts, it does not bother me too much to receive the feeds and updates with some delay since I do not always have time to answer right away.

Do you have any suggestion that might help in order to receive these RSS feeds in less (or the same) time than it takes to receive an e-mail notification?
Collapse

Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:56
English to Portuguese
FeedDemon Jun 15, 2009

Kristina Mijic wrote:

Do you have any suggestion that might help in order to receive these RSS feeds in less (or the same) time than it takes to receive an e-mail notification?

Yes. Change your RSS reader. In my experience, FeedDemon is notoriously slow - it usually takes a few hours for the feeds to update, even if you check the feed online in their website. I've found Google Reader to be the fastest RSS reader out there. Too bad it's web based and there is no standalone client. However, there are firefox extensions that automatically check you Google Reader account, so it ends up working more or less the same way as FeedDemon.

[Edited at 2009-06-15 16:05 GMT]

Matt Petrowski
Matt Petrowski
United States
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Make sure to decrease "Update Frequency" in FeedDemon Jun 15, 2009

Dear Kristina,

FeedDemon, by default, checks for updates to subscribed feeds only once per hour. I suggest that you lower this frequency to anywhere between five and fifteen minutes; anything lower than five minutes will not result in receiving updates more quickly.

You can change the Update Frequency in FeedDemon by right-clicking any feed in the left-side feed list, selecting Feed Properties, and then selecting the Updating tab. Many other RSS readers have similar se
... See more
Dear Kristina,

FeedDemon, by default, checks for updates to subscribed feeds only once per hour. I suggest that you lower this frequency to anywhere between five and fifteen minutes; anything lower than five minutes will not result in receiving updates more quickly.

You can change the Update Frequency in FeedDemon by right-clicking any feed in the left-side feed list, selecting Feed Properties, and then selecting the Updating tab. Many other RSS readers have similar settings.
Collapse

Kristina Kolic
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Google Reader seems to update without delay Jun 15, 2009

Thanks, Matt. I have set the 'Update Frequency' in FeedDemon to five minutes by disabling the synchronization with NewsGator according to which synchronized feeds should be updated as soon as NewsGator discovers any new content. I will let you know subsequently if it works any better.

In the meantime, I am also trying Google Reader, which seems to update much more quickly (I just checked upon receipt of the e-mail notification). Thank you, Andreas, for the tip. However, the only inc
... See more
Thanks, Matt. I have set the 'Update Frequency' in FeedDemon to five minutes by disabling the synchronization with NewsGator according to which synchronized feeds should be updated as soon as NewsGator discovers any new content. I will let you know subsequently if it works any better.

In the meantime, I am also trying Google Reader, which seems to update much more quickly (I just checked upon receipt of the e-mail notification). Thank you, Andreas, for the tip. However, the only inconvenient that I noticed so far is that Google Reader seems to keep all received feeds indefinitely without deleting or hiding the feeds that I already marked as read (unlike my standalone reader).
Collapse

Kristina Kolic
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
FeedDemon: working like a charm Jun 16, 2009

Now, that I have disabled the synchronization with NewsGator, it is working like a charm! I receive the feeds even before the e-mail notification, so I just might disable the e-mail notifications in a few days. This is definitely much better!

Thank you for pointing me to the right direction. I would never have thought that the only problem was the synchronization in FeedDemon.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ RSS feeds now available

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »