Permanent partial hiding of discussion field is not practical
Thread poster: Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

Local time: 16:17
English to German
+ ...
May 14, 2009

The new series of experiments with the KudoZ question arrangement having brought several useful improvements, I am nonetheless surprised about the inventiveness in trying to move the discussion field, and that means the discussion altogether, out of sight.

The option to toggle it on and off might be an offer of free choice for those who are not interested in the discussion. - But on opting for "show discussion" one now does not get, as it once was, the whole discussion field in sigh
... See more
The new series of experiments with the KudoZ question arrangement having brought several useful improvements, I am nonetheless surprised about the inventiveness in trying to move the discussion field, and that means the discussion altogether, out of sight.

The option to toggle it on and off might be an offer of free choice for those who are not interested in the discussion. - But on opting for "show discussion" one now does not get, as it once was, the whole discussion field in sight, but a rather small scroll or sliding window. And when going to a question, the windows shows, logically in a way, the first posting on top. And one then has to scroll down to the last post.

In other words, the choice is not between "hide discussion" and "show discussion" - but only between "hide discussion completely" and "hide discussion partially". It is now permanently either completely or partially hidden.

I wonder why there is this effort to have the discussion field out of sight. - It takes only a little move on the mouse wheel to skip in a fraction of a second if one does not wish to read it, either during the process of answering or later on, in term search.

Just imagine this scheme would apply to the forum, where one has also to scroll down in reading, as in any blog etc. - Putting the thread behind a sliding window would be very impractical - as I think it is impractical for the KudoZ discussion. - It had been intensely debated that there is an interest to have an immediate impression, at any time, about who participates in a discussion. And there is often an interest to compare different views against each other. - The sliding or scroll window is not useful for this.

[Edited at 2009-05-14 19:45 GMT]
Collapse

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:17
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree with Roland May 26, 2009

When I opt for "show discussion" I would much prefer to see the whole discussion field.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Permanent partial hiding of discussion field is not practical

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »