Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Under what circumstances can a moderator use "Edit glossary entry" link?
Thread poster: Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:23
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much May 8, 2009

Dear all,

Thank you all for your comments and sorry for visiting the thread again with some delay.

Jared, thank you for confirming Steffen's and Katalin's inputs (and my suspicion ) and especially for posting this reference:

KudoZ moderators also have some duties in the KudoZ glossaries such as correcting typos or non-answer entries such as “Please see below”.

Replacing a glossary entry made by another should be done only exceptionally, and with the agreement of the asker. Remember that moderators are not supposed to act as linguistic authorities on the site.

On the other hand,
For help with specific entries or for issues with moderators, the channel to use it the support system.

I've deliberately chosen the forum, because a support ticket cannot be used as a standing public reference. An issue with the moderator(s) is out of question here; and this is more about learning the definite scope of a site policy, rather than resolving the issue of a specific entry.

Katalin, thank you for this - nuff said!
For Heaven's sake, it's a TYPO!!!

Amy, I really don't know the answer:
I'm curious: why does the asker prefer to not fix the entry? Why does the moderator not want to fix it if it's so trivial?

When one message -from me or someone else- was ignored, I didn't think it would bring anything to send a second message to ask why the previous one was ignored. Ignoring one message is an answer to all future messages, too. But this is my personal view, of course. As for the moderator, like I said, our interpretations of the policy differed.

And thanks for the tip, Nancy.
However, it is possible to create a separate glossary entry in a personal glossary using the preferred term, which will appear in a KudoZ search if the appropriate box is ticked.

I use term search extensively, and I always include all sources in my search. In fact, especially in the case of complicated terms, personal glossaries are usually the least useful, because they don't include background information (on "how the glossary owner has arrived at that conclusion", if you know what I mean). More importantly, even though everyone -or, well... the vast majority- would know that it's a typo, it really bothers me to have a typo in a glossary on the pair I work in (or in any other pair, for that matter). It's not something to be proud of professionally.

But the "image" or "prestige" issue aside, there's also what Katalin wrote above:
It is not simply a cosmetic improvement, but functional.
A typo can prevent the search function to find the term

Anyway, thanks again for all your comments.

Have a nice weekend, everyone!

Edited to correct a typo

[Edited at 2009-05-08 21:11 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Under what circumstances can a moderator use "Edit glossary entry" link?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »