Why make life harder than necessary for ourselves when interpreting? Tips to make it easier..
Thread poster: Will Masters
Will Masters
Will Masters  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 13, 2012

Please don't think me lazy for asking this question but, let's be honest about it, interpreting (especially for extended periods) can be tough going at times, regardless the type of interpreting you're doing. Is there anything you know of that can, to put it simply, make life easier for the interpreter, other than the standard: be prepared and know the topic inside out etc? Like I say, please don't think me lazy for asking this, but I don't see the point in making the job (well, life in general... See more
Please don't think me lazy for asking this question but, let's be honest about it, interpreting (especially for extended periods) can be tough going at times, regardless the type of interpreting you're doing. Is there anything you know of that can, to put it simply, make life easier for the interpreter, other than the standard: be prepared and know the topic inside out etc? Like I say, please don't think me lazy for asking this, but I don't see the point in making the job (well, life in general really ) any more complicated than absolutely necessary if there are perfectly valid ways/techniques to make it that little bit simpler... given that the respective client you're working with at the time has no objections of course!

The next interpreting job I'm scheduled to do is next week, and for it I have the option to use electronic equipment (different recording devices etc) if I want to, due to the fact that the speakers being interpreted for are due to be talking for a block of time before I'm given the chance to interpret anything. Would using these things be advisable or are they likely to just prove to be a distraction, either to the speaker or myself, in which case I should not use them and just focus on noting things down from time to time and working from recall for the rest?

From what I've been told, if I opted to use the electronics being offered, the idea would be something to the effect of:

...listen to the speaker talk once all the way through, making note of names and numbers etc where appropriate

...then, when he/she has finished..

2.listen to the speech a second time using an ear piece/small earphones and interpret pretty much simultaneously, just with having the added bonus of having heard it all once through already and knowing where the hard to interpret words/phrases etc are going to appear.

What are your thoughts? Take the added help, or leave it? Have any of you ever been in this sort of situation before? Thanks in advance for the advice
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 14:07
English to Arabic
+ ...
Speech presentation - script or summary of main "talking points" available BEFORE that event? Jan 13, 2012

Greetings.

You might ask that client, or the agency engaging you to support that presentation, if a script or summary of main "talking points" could be provided to you BEFORE that event.

That advance information about the presentation would simplify your interpreting task, plus help you avoid encountering and dealing with unfamiliar terms, jargon, technical phrases, or complex expressions rendered in "business-speak" [for lack of a better descriptor] during the speech.<
... See more
Greetings.

You might ask that client, or the agency engaging you to support that presentation, if a script or summary of main "talking points" could be provided to you BEFORE that event.

That advance information about the presentation would simplify your interpreting task, plus help you avoid encountering and dealing with unfamiliar terms, jargon, technical phrases, or complex expressions rendered in "business-speak" [for lack of a better descriptor] during the speech.

If the purpose of that speech is to persuade, rather than simply inform, the intended audience, your client should have special appreciation of the benefit [to all parties] and the value of providing you with such advance information so that delivery of the speech and its consecutive interpretation go as smoothly and clearly as possible.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
Senior veteran Arabic linguist
San Pedro, California
Collapse

Claudia Brauer
Claudia Brauer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:07
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What is the question, again? Jan 14, 2012

Will... I am not sure I understand why you would not take the "deal"! I mean, if I understood you correctly, what you are being offered is exactly what every consecutive interpreter ever would have hoped for.... I mean, being able to interpret consecutively while actually doing it simultaneously -- if needed or desired -- wow! May I take your place, please? I can see absolutely no negative to this offer. It is a dream come true, and I would hope to be offered this opportunity soon.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:07
Chinese to English
Who's making life harder here...? Jan 14, 2012

IMO, simultaneous is harder than consecutive, so the method you're suggesting is to replace one form of interpretation with a more difficult form... where's the benefit?

Sorry if this question sounds a bit negative, but do you know how to take notes? I'm just struck by your phrase "noting things down from time to time". When I learned, we were told that you should be able to take notes on and do consecutive for blocks of speech up to ten minutes long, and I've found that pretty much
... See more
IMO, simultaneous is harder than consecutive, so the method you're suggesting is to replace one form of interpretation with a more difficult form... where's the benefit?

Sorry if this question sounds a bit negative, but do you know how to take notes? I'm just struck by your phrase "noting things down from time to time". When I learned, we were told that you should be able to take notes on and do consecutive for blocks of speech up to ten minutes long, and I've found that pretty much holds true. If the organisers are telling you that you will be given blocks of longer than 10 minutes, then you should tell them that consecutive will not be possible.

But good note-taking is one of the key skills of consecutive. You should be able to follow the argument of any speaker, and at the same time take sufficient notes to get all the key facts and figures and then reproduce the argument in full in the target language. That's the job, and good notes (or notes that suit your personal style) are a key part of the process.

What you're suggesting - to replace consec with simul - isn't a new idea, and there are several problems.
1. Generally in consec you aim to compress speaking time: speaker speaks for 6 minutes, you speak for 4 or 5 minutes. With your "offset simul" that's not going to happen.
2. Reduced capacity for reorganisation. With prepared speeches, not such an issue, but when people speak extemporaneously, you can often help the audience enormously by reorganising and trimming - doable with notes, not with your offset simul.
3. General reduction in quality. The output from consecutive is generally higher quality than from simul because there's less interference, more flexibility to reorganise, more opportunity for eye-contact with the audience. You're likely to lose all of that.
4. Probability of technical cock-up goes through the roof.
5. You'll look like a bit of a tit. An aesthetic consideration, but important nonetheless. Consecutive interpreters are up there on stage, and mostly we look super cool, with our little notebooks and engaging patter. If you're sticking earphones on, messing with your equipment and then fighting your way through simul with everyone staring at you, you might lose the confidence of the listeners.

I personally can't see the benefit in what you're proposing, unless you're saying you don't know how to notetake, in which case my primary advice to you is: learn and practice taking proper interpreting notes.
Collapse

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:07
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Why make life more difficult? Jan 14, 2012

I have to agree with Phil and Claudia here. Given the choice, I'd prefer consecutive to simultaneous interpreting.

As said before, get as much information as possible beforehand. What subject is it by the way?

I do find it puzzling however that an agency would use a student with no formal interpreting qualifications for what appears to be a high level assignment. As a precaution, I would check that they have insurance or you might consider taking out a policy yoursel
... See more
I have to agree with Phil and Claudia here. Given the choice, I'd prefer consecutive to simultaneous interpreting.

As said before, get as much information as possible beforehand. What subject is it by the way?

I do find it puzzling however that an agency would use a student with no formal interpreting qualifications for what appears to be a high level assignment. As a precaution, I would check that they have insurance or you might consider taking out a policy yourself. Most professional interpreters have their own insurance as standard.

Suzi
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:07
Flemish to English
+ ...
What do they teach you at your school? Jan 14, 2012

1. Consecutive
2. Simultaneous with a bonus that you get the content beforehand.

Don't they teach you that at the school you are in? Normally, to graduate as an interpreter, you need to be able to interpret 6-8 minutes consecutive and 10 minutes of simultaneous. Up to you to do what you feel you'll be able to do best;
If you don't feel able to do this, refuse the assignment.
Hopefully, there is no participant present, who rattles through the meeting.

[Edi
... See more
1. Consecutive
2. Simultaneous with a bonus that you get the content beforehand.

Don't they teach you that at the school you are in? Normally, to graduate as an interpreter, you need to be able to interpret 6-8 minutes consecutive and 10 minutes of simultaneous. Up to you to do what you feel you'll be able to do best;
If you don't feel able to do this, refuse the assignment.
Hopefully, there is no participant present, who rattles through the meeting.

[Edited at 2012-01-14 16:21 GMT]
Collapse

Will Masters
Will Masters  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your posts! Jan 15, 2012

Stephen, I think that asking for the information that will be talked about would be a good idea. Hopefully that will have no problem with providing it (not that they should)!

Claudia, I was worried about taking the deal for the same reasons that Phil mention. I'm guessing then that it's not a common offer?

Phil, I think on the whole you're correct in the observations you make about how it could in fact be better to just do normal consec. That said, the aesthetic appeara
... See more
Stephen, I think that asking for the information that will be talked about would be a good idea. Hopefully that will have no problem with providing it (not that they should)!

Claudia, I was worried about taking the deal for the same reasons that Phil mention. I'm guessing then that it's not a common offer?

Phil, I think on the whole you're correct in the observations you make about how it could in fact be better to just do normal consec. That said, the aesthetic appearance apparently wouldn't be too much of an issue I don't think as the equipment would be easily conceilable from what I'm told, and the earphones would be the little ones and not a huge headpiece.

Susanna, the interpreting will be business based – just a small meeting apparently. Basically what happened was I send my CV and covering letter to the company and said that I was looking at getting into interpreting as well as translation. I told them that I had some (unprofessional) experience from having studied it at uni and acted as interpreter for friends and family when we've been abroad. I heard nothing back from them for some time, but then suddenly one day got an email through asking me if I would still be interested in getting some paid professional experience. I told them I would be, and they went on to say that basically “everyone has to start somewhere”. References would have to be given from the seasoned professionals that have taught me, and I would have to jump through all the other hoops that were laid out before me. According to the contract with them, they do have insurance that covers me, but I might have to look into getting some of my own too. Where would you recommend I look into getting it from?

Williamson, I'm not too worried on the whole about the assignment, just obviously didn't want to complicate things by accepting the electronic help if it's advisable not to, or alternatively not taking it if really it's something that would have been highly beneficial.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why make life harder than necessary for ourselves when interpreting? Tips to make it easier..

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »