Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez
Jorge Rodríguez Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:59
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 14, 2022

Dear colleagues,

After long time using Proz to find translation agencies, I have realized that there two items in the field "type of service" I am not sure how to distinguish from each other.

What is the difference between "document translation" and only "translation"?

I have already seen the term "document translation" in some agencies' websites and I though it refers to "technical documents", such as, patents, user's manuals and so on. However, I found so
... See more
Dear colleagues,

After long time using Proz to find translation agencies, I have realized that there two items in the field "type of service" I am not sure how to distinguish from each other.

What is the difference between "document translation" and only "translation"?

I have already seen the term "document translation" in some agencies' websites and I though it refers to "technical documents", such as, patents, user's manuals and so on. However, I found somewhere that it may refer to the documents that a sworn translator works on.

Thank you very much for your help.

Jorge
Collapse

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Documents Feb 14, 2022

In my understanding, it usually refers to birth certificates, marriage certificates, and other things of this nature...so yes, the documents a sworn translator typically works on.

[Edited at 2022-02-14 08:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-02-14 08:30 GMT]

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
No difference Feb 15, 2022

Sometimes "translation" is used to mean interpreting. "Document translation" resolves that ambiguity, but a document is anything with writing on it, and a certificate is just one of many examples.

Stepan Konev
Steve Robbie
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 22:59
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
translation is not interpreting Feb 15, 2022

philgoddard wrote:

Sometimes "translation" is used to mean interpreting. "Document translation" resolves that ambiguity, but a document is anything with writing on it, and a certificate is just one of many examples.

It would be surprising that on Proz.com "translation" could mean "interpreting", because that's just sloppy language.
People using "translation" for "interpreting" are people who just don't have a clue about translation or interpreting. It's a typical mix-up made by people who need interpreters for the first time in their life.

Daryo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Document translation vs. translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »