hindi_linguist
hindi_linguist
India
Local time: 01:04
English to Hindi
+ ...
Apr 30, 2013

Hello,

I am looking forward to discuss with the Prozians about various regular expressions (regex). How you are using the regex. Please share the most common regex here.

Thank You,

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:34
English to Hungarian
+ ...
info Apr 30, 2013

First, a good resource for learning: http://www.regular-expressions.info/
The most common regex is probably s/ +/ /g I'd guess... or not. It doesn't matter much. It's very difficult to give meaninful general regex advice. If you need help creating or troubleshooting regex, post the particulars.
Note that Trados used to have a wonky regex engine without backreferences (supposedly fixed now
... See more
First, a good resource for learning: http://www.regular-expressions.info/
The most common regex is probably s/ +/ /g I'd guess... or not. It doesn't matter much. It's very difficult to give meaninful general regex advice. If you need help creating or troubleshooting regex, post the particulars.
Note that Trados used to have a wonky regex engine without backreferences (supposedly fixed now). If you're using an old release, don't be surprised if your () - \1 replacements don't work.
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Various uses Apr 30, 2013

Hi Hindi Linguist,

I think I use regular expressions a lot, but I can't give you specific examples, because it all depends on what you want to achieve. Here's what I use them for:

1) Trados Studio

a) for segment filtration
b) in the Terminjector plugin regular expresions file
c) in the Find and Replace dialog
(that's two different flavors of regular expressions in one piece of software).

2) UltraEdit for preprocessing
... See more
Hi Hindi Linguist,

I think I use regular expressions a lot, but I can't give you specific examples, because it all depends on what you want to achieve. Here's what I use them for:

1) Trados Studio

a) for segment filtration
b) in the Terminjector plugin regular expresions file
c) in the Find and Replace dialog
(that's two different flavors of regular expressions in one piece of software).

2) UltraEdit for preprocessing of text files that I feed to the LF ALigner tool

3) I sometimes even use the MS Word flavor of regular expressions, the most common tasks being to replace multiple spaces with one. Here's one example:

Find: ^32{2;}
Replace with: [type a single space in this box.

Regular expressions are a powerful tool and can save you a lot of work if you know what you are doing. I read the whole owl book* once

Regards,

Piotr

* A book on regular expressions
Collapse

Tangopeter
Tangopeter

English to Dutch
+ ...
Or Wrox - Beginning Regular Expressions May 1, 2013

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

Regular expressions are a powerful tool and can save you a lot of work if you know what you are doing. I read the whole owl book* once

Regards,

Piotr

* A book on regular expressions

Or read Wrox - Beginning Regular Expressions, by Andrew Watt: another good starting point (only 771 pages)

Cheers,
Peter

trhanslator (X)
trhanslator (X)
Regular expressions in CafeTran May 1, 2013

Hi,

I use regular expressions a lot in CafeTran, e.g. to insert non-breaking spaces before units:

(?<=\d+) (?=(A|bar|g|Hz|kg|kHz|kW|min.|minu(ut|ten)|V|W)(\s|$))

(It's the Java flavour .)
... See more
Hi,

I use regular expressions a lot in CafeTran, e.g. to insert non-breaking spaces before units:

(?<=\d+) (?=(A|bar|g|Hz|kg|kHz|kW|min.|minu(ut|ten)|V|W)(\s|$))

(It's the Java flavour .)

Read all about it here:

http://cafetran.wikidot.com/search:site/q/regular

Cheerio,

Hans

[Edited at 2013-05-01 08:35 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Regular Expressions (Regex)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »