Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
\"How to Earn $80,000+ Per Year Translating\"?????????
Thread poster: Ron Stelter
Ron Stelter
Ron Stelter  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:27
Member (2003)
German to English
Mar 22, 2003

On the http://www.translatortips.com (best known for Transmail), they offer an e-booklet entitled \"How to Earn $80,000+ Per Year as a

Freelance Translator\"

Well, I\'ve been doing this really hard for two years and I haven\'t even come close to that. I was just wondering if the other 40,000 translators on Proz were earning that.

General comments and feedback appreciat
... See more
On the http://www.translatortips.com (best known for Transmail), they offer an e-booklet entitled \"How to Earn $80,000+ Per Year as a

Freelance Translator\"

Well, I\'ve been doing this really hard for two years and I haven\'t even come close to that. I was just wondering if the other 40,000 translators on Proz were earning that.

General comments and feedback appreciated. (If you\'re making 200,000 dollars a year, no bragging, please.)

I\'m really more interested in a general conversation on earnings potential rather than whether you like Mr. Eames\' products.

[ This Message was edited by: ronjon on 2003-03-22 19:38]

[ This Message was edited by: ronjon on 2003-03-22 19:39]

[ This Message was edited by: ronjon on 2003-03-22 20:02]

[ This Message was edited by: ronjon on 2003-03-22 20:03]
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
Well, that's how one sells ... Mar 22, 2003

...and theoretically yes, I suppose, depending on many factors..........likme how many hours you put in, how many people in your team, if there\'s someone there to cook and shop for you, the country you\'re in, your languages, etc etc etc

Being a total cynic personally, I wouldn\'t dream of reading a book with a title like that, no more than I would \"Instant Japanese\" or \"French in One Month\"!!!

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
I suppose it is possible Mar 22, 2003

The first year started to freelance full time I was almost broke, i.e. in the most difficult conditions to make a good start. On the other side I could count on a good CV.

Previously I had been working in translation as an employee. May be I knew some already, but Translatortips helped to focus.

If I am not wrong, at that time the book was called \"How to make $50.000...\". I managed to make about 80% of that amount. Quite remarkable for an Italian tran
... See more
The first year started to freelance full time I was almost broke, i.e. in the most difficult conditions to make a good start. On the other side I could count on a good CV.

Previously I had been working in translation as an employee. May be I knew some already, but Translatortips helped to focus.

If I am not wrong, at that time the book was called \"How to make $50.000...\". I managed to make about 80% of that amount. Quite remarkable for an Italian translator in Italy. But... I practically had to give up sleeping for about 365 days.

Now, after a few years and much repositioning effort, I am aiming at a slightly higher result. And I can finally afford to get some sleep (on weekends).

Ciao,

Luca

[ This Message was edited by: ITS on 2003-03-22 23:01]
Collapse

Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:27
Russian to English
+ ...
It is quite possible - here's how you do it (4 easy steps) Mar 23, 2003

1) Produce a book called \"How to earn $80,000 a year from translation\";

2) Print a nice glossy brochure and make a lot of guarantees that feed on the wishful thinking of others;

3) Flag it up left, right and centre on the internet.

4) Then find yourself 2000 punters a year who are ready to fork out £25 each.

Simple.

Konstantin Lakshin
Konstantin Lakshin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:27
Member (2017)
English to Russian
+ ...
Why not? Mar 23, 2003

Quote:
On the http://www.translatortips.com(best known for Transmail), they offer an e-booklet entitled \"How to Earn $80,000+ Per Year as a Freelance Translator\"

... See more
Quote:
On the http://www.translatortips.com(best known for Transmail), they offer an e-booklet entitled \"How to Earn $80,000+ Per Year as a Freelance Translator\"

1) Haven\'t read the book. Assuming that the 80K figure means annual sales revenue, the answer is certainly \"yes\".

2) Two years may or may not be enough time to judge.

3) I am afraid that most of the other 40,000 translators are not even close to that.

Just do the math and figure out how much you can do and what you should charge based on your capacity. The potential IS there. :=) ▲ Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
While you may have a point here, Dan, Mar 23, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-23 03:53, The Tautologist wrote:

2) Print a nice glossy brochure and make a lot of guarantees that feed on the wishful thinking of others;

4) Then find yourself 2000 punters a year who are ready to fork out £25 ea... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-23 03:53, The Tautologist wrote:

4) Then find yourself 2000 punters a year who are ready to fork out £25 each.

Simple.

I don\'t think this is the answer Ron Stelter was looking for.

Over and above, you\'d still have to write the book and find yourself the 2000 \'punters\'.

I also don\'t think you should refer to those who bought the book as \'punters\'.

Some (less experienced) translators may find the advice given by Alex Eames rather useful.

I say more: Judging from the many questions/answers/comments/suggestions etc posted on ProZ and elsewhere regarding (translation business) issues that you and I may find very obvious, I\'m actually of the opinion that such books are needed.

I didn\'t buy the mentioned ebook, but wonder if it mentions things like: \'don\'t belittle fellow translators\'.

Rather obvious, no?

As obvious as this may be, it remains a fact: If you\'re planning on making +80.000 USD annually, you\'ll certainly need (good) colleagues at your side.

Take care, Evert

[addsig] ▲ Collapse

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Swedish to English
One born every minute Mar 23, 2003

Whenever a book with such a promising title appears, or you get a letter telling you that you have been specially selected for something or other, there is one word to remember.

Beware.

Nobody, just nobody, is interested in filling your pockets with money.
[addsig]

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
A happy Inland Revenue Mar 23, 2003

H.M.Inland Revenue Services will have been happy to learn exactly how much was earned by translation and the sale of that book.

Is that 80,000 net or was it less after Her Majesty\'s I.R. was paid?

Is that still 80,000 today?

The book is about common sense for beginning translators. People who have been translating for a couple of years know those things from experience.

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Translators are not sciuscià Mar 23, 2003

Quote:
People who have been translating for a couple of years know those things from experience.

Yes, ...IF they have been doing it right.

Unfortunately in Italy most translators suffer from an inferiority complex. They would never dare to set a decent income goal for themselves.

Also, most translators
... See more
Quote:
People who have been translating for a couple of years know those things from experience.

Yes, ...IF they have been doing it right.

Unfortunately in Italy most translators suffer from an inferiority complex. They would never dare to set a decent income goal for themselves.

Also, most translators coming from the humanities tend to believe that marketing is evil and money is dirty. Italian agencies and some client (especially in Turin) know this psychology, and exploit it. These translators often end up working 8 hours a day for 8.000 a year or less ...before taxes! (N.B. Taxes are deducted from translators\' payments in Italy, and payments terms are often 45-105 days, despite the law. All this is ok: you just stay at your parents until when they die and you get their home... )

Without Eames\' book I would probably have ended up in the same situation.

I have absolutely no interest in saying this. On the contrary, I tend to shut up in order not to help my competition. Yet, I believe that Mr. Eames\'s book could help improving the Italian translation market.

As far as the title is concerned, I agree with George. The Italian translation title should probably be: Il traduttore non è uno sciuscià.

Luca

BTW, Ron: would,n it be a good idea to take out some question mark from the thread title??????

[ This Message was edited by: ITS on 2003-03-24 00:01]

[ This Message was edited by: ITS on 2003-03-24 00:02]
Collapse

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 01:27
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
build up to it Mar 24, 2003

My opinion is that one should build up to it. You should not consider it but as a target for your efforts. What I do is try to build a carear in this business. It is very different. If the only goal is the amount of xx bucks, it can be done, but it will not necessarily build you a clientele and a stable carear for the following year. I prefer to go steady and concetrate on doing things as best as possible and try to win the client as a steady one. The income will come in a few years. You cannot ... See more
My opinion is that one should build up to it. You should not consider it but as a target for your efforts. What I do is try to build a carear in this business. It is very different. If the only goal is the amount of xx bucks, it can be done, but it will not necessarily build you a clientele and a stable carear for the following year. I prefer to go steady and concetrate on doing things as best as possible and try to win the client as a steady one. The income will come in a few years. You cannot expect this at the end of 2 years.

But, a piece of advice, if you already have 2 years in the business, you don\'t need the booklet any longer.

Best regards and good luck.

Collapse

claude
claude
Thailand
English to French
Arithmetics Mar 24, 2003

Dan, even with 2000 buyers of your book, you only reach 50 000 $.

I think making money is about getting efficient with a certain type of documents, and having reliable customers who give you regularly this kind of document. It can be software help, manuals for medical equipment, patents, etc.

The more you\'re efficient, the more you have jobs, and vice versa.

Also, you have to establish a reasonable rate.

Personnally, I think 100 000 $ is a limit beyond wh
... See more

I think making money is about getting efficient with a certain type of documents, and having reliable customers who give you regularly this kind of document. It can be software help, manuals for medical equipment, patents, etc.

The more you\'re efficient, the more you have jobs, and vice versa.

Also, you have to establish a reasonable rate.

Personnally, I think 100 000 $ is a limit beyond which your job alters your personal life. But it\'s my personal experience as I am lazy and I think work always alters my personal life.

Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:27
German to English
+ ...
Not ridiculous at all Mar 24, 2003

I don\'t think this is a ridiculous goal at all and have heard of people making in the $100,000 range as freelancers (i.e. not agencies) in the States with certain language/specialty combinations. I agree that after a certain level, work could impinge on your personal life, though. Of course, how much you make depends greatly on your niche and how you go about starting up and then running your business. As for me personally, I am not quite at the 80k mark yet, but made enough to support my famil... See more
I don\'t think this is a ridiculous goal at all and have heard of people making in the $100,000 range as freelancers (i.e. not agencies) in the States with certain language/specialty combinations. I agree that after a certain level, work could impinge on your personal life, though. Of course, how much you make depends greatly on your niche and how you go about starting up and then running your business. As for me personally, I am not quite at the 80k mark yet, but made enough to support my family in 2001, my 1st year in business, and then 50% more (gross) in 2002, a year which was supposed to be terrible for business. I could have made more, but I take about 6 weeks of vacation per year by choice. In a nutshell, I think it\'s quite possible.Collapse

Félix Saiz
Félix Saiz  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
$ ≠ £ Mar 24, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-24 09:41, claude wrote:

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Don't mix the currencies! Mar 24, 2003

It\'s GBP50,000 and USD80,000.

But on the subject of earning potential. I think it\'s possible but you would have to work with the best-paying agencies (which usually means they expect 3-5 years or more work experience first) and you\'d have to work VERY hard indeed. If on the other hand you worked almost exclusively with direct clients and charge them rather more than you get from the agencies I don\'t see why you shouldn\'t earn that much. I wish I was already there but I
... See more
It\'s GBP50,000 and USD80,000.

But on the subject of earning potential. I think it\'s possible but you would have to work with the best-paying agencies (which usually means they expect 3-5 years or more work experience first) and you\'d have to work VERY hard indeed. If on the other hand you worked almost exclusively with direct clients and charge them rather more than you get from the agencies I don\'t see why you shouldn\'t earn that much. I wish I was already there but I\'m not - maybe next tax year!
Collapse

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Earnings potential Mar 24, 2003

Nobody can give you an answer on this, because it depends on too many things.

However, let\'s try:

1) IF you never lose a customer (VERY important point involving good quality work + other skills and qualities)

2) IF you actively seek new customers (not every once and then, but EVERY time you have no translation/ accounting work to keep you busy, i.e. you should work 8 hours a day even when you are not translating...)

... See more
Nobody can give you an answer on this, because it depends on too many things.

However, let\'s try:

1) IF you never lose a customer (VERY important point involving good quality work + other skills and qualities)

2) IF you actively seek new customers (not every once and then, but EVERY time you have no translation/ accounting work to keep you busy, i.e. you should work 8 hours a day even when you are not translating...)

3) IF your rates are, let\'s say 0.08$ per source word AND you can regularly do 2500 words a day

4) In a FEW YEARS you will be translating full-time and earning an average 60 000 USD a years before tax.

To reach the 80 000 you would need to charge more or work longer hours. I recommend increasing fees (whatever your starting point be) as you become more experienced.

As for the book, it may be okay for real beginners or people at a lost.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

\"How to Earn $80,000+ Per Year Translating\"?????????

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »