Thread poster: Carina Balbo
Carina Balbo
Carina Balbo
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:48
English
+ ...
Nov 14, 2002

We have just missed a translation job since it was given to another translator with similar experience but LOWER rate. Now, our pricing was 0.05USD/word, is that expensive? This was a 37,000 words project, in which case the client would have had to pay 1,850USD for the job. Is that a lot of money to pay for a good-quality job???

Of course, there are translators all over the world, and some can charge 0.02 or even 0.01USD/word because in the country they\'re living it makes no differenc
... See more
We have just missed a translation job since it was given to another translator with similar experience but LOWER rate. Now, our pricing was 0.05USD/word, is that expensive? This was a 37,000 words project, in which case the client would have had to pay 1,850USD for the job. Is that a lot of money to pay for a good-quality job???

Of course, there are translators all over the world, and some can charge 0.02 or even 0.01USD/word because in the country they\'re living it makes no difference and it is good money after all. But we think it\'s high time we started defending our profession as translators. It\'s not that we translatate because we \"know a little bit of English\", or any other language. Most of us studied very hard to get the degrees and necessary qualifications to compete in this area and continue studying.

Of curse, the client has the last word and he decides.

Perhaps we are talking like this because our wound has not healed yet. But are we SO WRONG???

Roxton & Carina
Collapse

Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:48
Finnish to English
Cheapskates Nov 14, 2002

I have never worked for a US agency but I get the impression that translation is not highly regarded in that country and that agencies are unwilling to pay anything like a reasonable fee. Is this entirely the wrong impression?

I agree with your points. Sometimes the situation is ridiculous. Let us hope that the professional profile of translators improves and that we get a fair return for our efforts and extraordinary abilities.

Cheers

<
... See more
I have never worked for a US agency but I get the impression that translation is not highly regarded in that country and that agencies are unwilling to pay anything like a reasonable fee. Is this entirely the wrong impression?

I agree with your points. Sometimes the situation is ridiculous. Let us hope that the professional profile of translators improves and that we get a fair return for our efforts and extraordinary abilities.

Cheers

Spencer

Collapse

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I work for several US agencies Nov 14, 2002

Spencer,

I work for several US agencies and I can get a decent US$0.12/source word from several of them...

And, I must add that I met those particular agencies through Proz!

Nathalie

(who has no special affiliations with Proz other than being a happy Platinum member!)

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:48
Dutch to English
+ ...
American agencies Nov 14, 2002

I agree with Nathalie. I also work for a few US agencies and get between 0.12 and 0.16 per word! I do supply added value (all my work is proof-read by someone else before delivery). They seem to appreciate the extra service and are happy to pay!

Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 19:48
English to French
+ ...
Same impression as my colleagues Nov 15, 2002

No, American agencies are not bargaining prices. But all agencies have a tendency to \"try\" a translator offering a lower price???

That is lige and business

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experience, and quality, or pricing???

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »