Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 01:12
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Nov 12, 2002

A U.K. based agency contacted me to do translation of feature films on DVD. They offered me a specific rate per minute, but I am not really familiar with the rates in this particular market niche (I mostly translate manuals and business documentation).

What is considered as a decent rate? How much film time can you cover in an hour?

Any more relevant ideas? Thank you for your contribution.

bergazy
bergazy  Identity Verified
Croatia
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
Take a look! Nov 12, 2002

Dear Mr.Ban

price, at

least the last one I found is:\"Compensation is $1.50 per minute of the film(2 hour project would be approximately $180.00). \"

and, by the way look at this links:

www.sdi-media-usa.com or

www.sdi-media.com (group). You will find some jobs there.

Bergazy
... See more
Dear Mr.Ban

price, at

least the last one I found is:\"Compensation is $1.50 per minute of the film(2 hour project would be approximately $180.00). \"

and, by the way look at this links:

www.sdi-media-usa.com or

www.sdi-media.com (group). You will find some jobs there.

Bergazy

Collapse

Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Plenty of ProZ links Nov 12, 2002

e.g.:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=26702#26702

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&post=32070#32070

schwensen (X)
schwensen (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to Danish
+ ...
Price per subtitle Nov 12, 2002

I\'ve only worked with one subtitling company, and they have made the price very clear right from the start; it\'s per subtitle, around $0.30 (films and director\'s commentaries have different rates), and each video can have between 1.000 and 2.000 subtitles.

I wouldn\'t know how to calculate in hours; it depends so much on the film! I normally get 4-5 days to do it. Then comes the proof reading afterwards, which is from one day to another.

Good luck with it!
... See more
I\'ve only worked with one subtitling company, and they have made the price very clear right from the start; it\'s per subtitle, around $0.30 (films and director\'s commentaries have different rates), and each video can have between 1.000 and 2.000 subtitles.

I wouldn\'t know how to calculate in hours; it depends so much on the film! I normally get 4-5 days to do it. Then comes the proof reading afterwards, which is from one day to another.

Good luck with it!

Anna

Collapse

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:12
English to German
+ ...
SDI Media rates are insulting! Nov 12, 2002

They are not typical. But Bergazy\'s posting gives the impression that they are. The going rate is far higher. SDI actually offer different rates in different countries. But even in Britain their rates are very low.

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
10 minutes film time per hour Nov 12, 2002

Of course, it will vary greatly depending on how dense the dialogue is (and how hard to understand). But I have found that as a rule of thumb, on average, it takes me 6 minutes to do 1 minute of running time.

lim0nka
lim0nka  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:12
English to Polish
Agree Apr 8, 2003

Quote:

On 2002-11-12 16:24, OlafK wrote:

SDI Media rates are insulting!

They are not typical. But Bergazy\'s posting gives the impression that they are. The going rate is far higher. SDI actually offer different rates in different countries. But even in Britain their rates are very low.

In Poland they offer $1.00 per minute which even here sounds ridiculous!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitling rates - any ideas?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »