What am I supposed to be aware of when I sign the NDA?
Thread poster: Tasha Syarifah
Tasha Syarifah
Tasha Syarifah  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 12:44
Member (2023)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Sep 19, 2023

Hi everyone, what am I supposed to be aware of when I sign the NDA? It's my first time having a few NDAs to be signed. They are from different agencies. Both are different NDAs, and I am a bit anxious.

Any tips or info would be great. Thank you!

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 08:44
English to Turkish
Just sign the damn thing Sep 19, 2023

Since they probably won't be able to extradite you to Texas to put you in the electric chair, you can always say "f*ck off" when they say something like "but you've signed our NDA and according to the paragraph 513 on page 309 you're supposed to donate your kidney to us".
Just relax or give us a call at Keki & Associates. We specialize in translator resumes and NDAs.

Matthias Brombach
David Manuel Díaz Sánchez
expressisverbis
Philippe Etienne
Andriy Yasharov
Kevin Fulton
Philip Lees

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:44
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Pay attention to things you don’t agree with Sep 19, 2023

If there are terms you disagree with, cross them out before signing. Most of these NDAs are boilerplate text and some agencies throw one at you even if it can't be enforced. On one occasion I crossed out one paragraph I didn’t agree with and signed the NDA. A few months later after I had worked on several projects, they asked me why (apparently, they hadn’t noticed…), I’m still working with them. The worst that can happen is that the agency will not work with you, in which case you haven... See more
If there are terms you disagree with, cross them out before signing. Most of these NDAs are boilerplate text and some agencies throw one at you even if it can't be enforced. On one occasion I crossed out one paragraph I didn’t agree with and signed the NDA. A few months later after I had worked on several projects, they asked me why (apparently, they hadn’t noticed…), I’m still working with them. The worst that can happen is that the agency will not work with you, in which case you haven't lost anything. Anyway, I’ve never heard of a translator being sued…Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Zea_Mays
Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
expressisverbis
Philippe Etienne
Yolanda Broad
Philip Lees

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:44
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Tasha Sep 19, 2023

'What am I supposed to be aware of when I sign the NDA?'

That your signature may not necessarily translate into getting work from either or both agencies.

Matthieu Ledoré
Zea_Mays
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
matt robinson
David Manuel Díaz Sánchez
Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
expressisverbis

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Payment may be refused Sep 21, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

Anyway, I’ve never heard of a translator being sued…

Maybe not sued, but the agency may refuse payment if, according to them, your translation contains too many mistakes, which haven't been defined precisely in the NDA. Or, if a client of theirs, whom you worked for on their behalf, may face less turnaround, they may argue that you gave information about the client to a thrid party, as you signed that you will be held responsible in such a case. Even if you did not do so, you will have trouble proving it.

Ana Maria Bustos K.

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
? Sep 21, 2023

Eva Stoppa wrote:

... if a client of theirs, whom you worked for on their behalf, may face less turnaround, they may argue that you gave information about the client to a thrid party, as you signed that you will be held responsible in such a case. Even if you did not do so, you will have trouble proving it.

What legislation would allow this?

[Bearbeitet am 2023-09-21 10:09 GMT]

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Meanwhile... Sep 21, 2023

...where is Tasha?

Tasha Syarifah
Tasha Syarifah  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 12:44
Member (2023)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the tips Sep 21, 2023

Thank you everyone for your tips. I got new information from all of you. Gonna use it as my reference.

Once again, appreciate all of you!

Barbara Carrara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What am I supposed to be aware of when I sign the NDA?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »