Thread poster: Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix
Dave Greatrix  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:29
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jun 14, 2002

Would my fellow colleagues agree that the translation/editing of glossaries should be better paid. Or at the very least the client must understand that a glossary is a totally different ball game as the translation of a flowing text and more time should be allowed by the client.

I for one will not be taking on any more editing work, unless I am sure that the original translator was competent.

I have just spent 6 hours editing a glossay of approx. 1200 wo
... See more
Would my fellow colleagues agree that the translation/editing of glossaries should be better paid. Or at the very least the client must understand that a glossary is a totally different ball game as the translation of a flowing text and more time should be allowed by the client.

I for one will not be taking on any more editing work, unless I am sure that the original translator was competent.

I have just spent 6 hours editing a glossay of approx. 1200 words. (technical) What a nightmare. First the client had the idea that it would take \"circa 2 hours\". At least 50% of the terms were incorreclty translated, not to mention the additional difficulties presented by the absence of context.

Then blow me, I had an E mail. Could I edit nearly 5000 words in four hours. Forget it!

I hasten to add that the client had understanding for the glossary problems, and we came to a mutual agreement.

I would however be interested to hear the views of other members on this problem.

Thanks,

Dave

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-06-14 19:51 ]
Collapse

Carla Trapani
Carla Trapani
Local time: 14:29
English to Italian
+ ...
experience with glossaries Jun 14, 2002

Once I had to do a translation of a manual concerning a textile loom from German into Italian. The client gave me a glossary to use as reference (all terms are correct, he said\". Then six months later he hired a Swiss person for training courses and small translations. He called me and asked me to edit the manual as the more technical terms were not correct!! I spent six hours to defend my translation and explain that it was not my fault if I had been told to use that glossary and then the glos... See more
Once I had to do a translation of a manual concerning a textile loom from German into Italian. The client gave me a glossary to use as reference (all terms are correct, he said\". Then six months later he hired a Swiss person for training courses and small translations. He called me and asked me to edit the manual as the more technical terms were not correct!! I spent six hours to defend my translation and explain that it was not my fault if I had been told to use that glossary and then the glossary was not correct... Then he apologised.. but never again!!!!

I do not like translating and editing glossaries.. takes too much time to understand the context behind each single word.. In any case, I agree with you... They should be better paid !!

Bye
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Most glossary translations are of little use Jun 15, 2002

Guesswork, ambiguities and grammar problems.

I charge € 0.20/word but will charge more next time.

Mats

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Glossaries Jun 15, 2002

I have translated a few glossaries. But only when in my field (IT and certain machines) and I usually charge 0.35 EUR per word or per hour. I always find that the best way is to find out from the customer where his products related to the glossary will be installed and then to phone/e-mail the factory or whatever and coordinate with them about the terminology they use. I find that factory A uses a completely different set of words to factory B, so like Matt said, glossaries are a bit useless.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The translation of glossaries

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »