Proz Profile being stalked?
Thread poster: Ines Burrell
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 15:24
English to German
+ ...
This is certainly interesting May 11, 2005

Hi Only today I became aware of the Visitors tab, and one click on the IP address (24 times) showed me the visitor was from UK, City etc., It is amazing, because sometimes I get weired mails from all places and do not know how to assess, due to a few hundered mails every day. I find this a very good development at the proz.com. For example, I get a document sent overnight, without any context and the reference line says "try this", uh what does one do with it now, and any reply to this mail bou... See more
Hi Only today I became aware of the Visitors tab, and one click on the IP address (24 times) showed me the visitor was from UK, City etc., It is amazing, because sometimes I get weired mails from all places and do not know how to assess, due to a few hundered mails every day. I find this a very good development at the proz.com. For example, I get a document sent overnight, without any context and the reference line says "try this", uh what does one do with it now, and any reply to this mail bounces back. Forget the translation part, but it sounds annoying to translate with out any reference, whereabouts etc., which could ultimately (assuming this phenomenon occurs often from the same IP set from a country) reflect the cultural background of that group of people. So then we can assume, a particular set of IPs (representing a region) put up a particular behavioral pattern/style, and that we should not be surprised and interpret it as something wrong!!
Rgds,
Brandis
Collapse

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
I may be guilty of that May 11, 2005

I sometimes feel intrigued by what's happening to some kudoz questions, even though I haven't answered or commented. Since the list of questions is so high, it's easier to go to the asker's and answerer's profile.
By the way, I didn't know you could track forums through profiles. How is it possible? If I get a proper explanation, I might be even more guilty in the future.

Parrot wrote:

If you've written or replied something interesting in the forums, they might also located your post through the profile. I do this from time to time if I remember the poster rather than the words he used.

It's certainly intriguing to know somebody's visiting your page and don't know who they are. I've got a few regular visitors from different cities in Germany!!

In any case, this is a bit of the topic, but who can explain to me why somebody keeps ringing me at least three times a day just to put the phone down without saying a word? It's kind of the same phenomenon. I'm sure there are psychological studies about that. It's most irritating, but on the other handI can't help feeling elated. Somebody is secretly enamoured with me.

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:24
Italian to English
+ ...
totally guilty May 11, 2005

Don't worry. I regularly drop by profiles to check people out, mostly through KudoZ questions - if I see a new name I don't recognise, I might have a look.

Oh, and if my mystery 88-timer from Southampton, UK is out there, I'd love to hear from you!

(88 times? I did begin to wonder whether it was me visiting the page to update my profile but even I don't visit the page that often and.
... See more
Don't worry. I regularly drop by profiles to check people out, mostly through KudoZ questions - if I see a new name I don't recognise, I might have a look.

Oh, and if my mystery 88-timer from Southampton, UK is out there, I'd love to hear from you!

(88 times? I did begin to wonder whether it was me visiting the page to update my profile but even I don't visit the page that often and...well...I'm not in Southampton, either.)

[Edited at 2005-05-11 23:35]
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
And May 12, 2005

I just got a job offer today from one of my "stalkers" (couldn't take it due to overload, but the feedback was reassuring).

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:54
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I would love it May 12, 2005

I would love it if people visited my profile that often, but of course I wouldn't know of it, for I am not Platinum

Juan R. Migoya (X)
Juan R. Migoya (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Robots May 12, 2005

Besides the previous explanations, I found a company's server accesing my profiles every day at midnight (its local time). It came from an agency. I can't give an explanation of this fact, but it happened

Regards

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Only 52-timer from Soton May 12, 2005

Amy Williams wrote:

Can't quite match your 88 times, Amy, but I too have a mystery admirer from Southampton (where I used to live until very recently). I'd never realised the place was so exciting!

tr. (X)
tr. (X)
English to Italian
hmm, secret admirers May 12, 2005

Well it's obvious I don't have any, max. visits per user is 6. I'm clearly not popular

It's a cool new feature, I hadn't even noticed it before coming across this thread!

I don't think anyone should worry about being stalked. Actually, everybody should, in theory, but then we shouldn't be putting any personal data on the internet if we wanted to avoid that risk altogether.

Is it even possible
... See more
Well it's obvious I don't have any, max. visits per user is 6. I'm clearly not popular

It's a cool new feature, I hadn't even noticed it before coming across this thread!

I don't think anyone should worry about being stalked. Actually, everybody should, in theory, but then we shouldn't be putting any personal data on the internet if we wanted to avoid that risk altogether.

Is it even possible to advertise oneself as a translator and remain completely anonymous?
Collapse

Konstantin Kisin
Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
soton... May 13, 2005

Amy Williams wrote:

Wow Amy, you're popular. My Southampton admirer is only up to 35 visits at the moment! Envyyyy!

Anabel Martínez
Anabel Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Southampton May 13, 2005

Konstantin Kisin wrote:

My Southampton admirer is only up to 35 visits at the moment! Envyyyy!

Not so popular as you guys, but I also happen to have someone from Southampton who visited my profile 18 times. Weird :S

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
declining populartiy May 13, 2005

Anabel Martínez wrote:

Konstantin Kisin wrote:

My Southampton admirer is only up to 35 visits at the moment! Envyyyy!

Not so popular as you guys, but I also happen to have someone from Southampton who visited my profile 18 times. Weird :S

Southampton's attention to my humble self used to fall from 22 yesterday to 20 today. It's clear what causes this decline. S/he visited me today, but 31 days ago s/he visited me three times, so these three times slip out of the 30 days window.

Probably the proz page hit counter doesn't actually count the visitor, but the location of the internet provider of the concerning visitors. I've found that nearly all my Dutch visitors seem to live in Amsterdam. A lot of internet companies are registered in Amsterdam, so that could explain the situation.

Could you tell me please, Anabel and / or Konstantin, which city Geobytes shows when I visit your profile at this time (about 10:30 am Central European Time)?

Anabel Martínez
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
tracking IP May 13, 2005

Henk Peelen wrote:

Could you tell me please, Anabel and / or Konstantin, which city Geobytes shows when I visit your profile at this time (about 10:30 am Central European Time)?

I checked it, Henk, but it couldn't track you, it said unable to identify bla bla. I also wondered this thing about IP (because I'm a brand new Platinum and, as such, really interested in this feature) and I reached the same conclusion as you, it doesn't say that much... I'd love to know who exactly visited my profile each time

Javier Herrera (X)
Javier Herrera (X)
Spanish
So many questions... May 13, 2005

I'd like to know what makes me so repugnant to that Southampton serial visitor that never visited me.
And is that person a he or a she. You can't judge from the pages (s)he visits.
And why I am so popular in Germany, I've nothing to do with the country or the language.
And why so few people read my portfolio.

Anabel Martínez
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
questions without answer May 13, 2005

Javier Herrera wrote:

And why I am so popular in Germany, I've nothing to do with the country or the language.
And why so few people read my portfolio.

We hit several points here: why so people from India read my profile if I have absolutely nothing to do with those languages? And why nobody reads my portfolio either? And, those who do, specially outsourcers, maybe don't get in touch with me because they don't like it???

Maybe a good idea would be to have a kind of guestbook in which people could easily write their comments on your profile, portfolio, etc., only visible to the owner of the profile...

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Guestbook May 13, 2005

Anabel Martínez wrote:

Maybe a good idea would be to have a kind of guestbook in which people could easily write their comments on your profile, portfolio, etc., only visible to the owner of the profile...

That actually is a very good idea. We all seem to be quite curious plus it might improve our profiles and business as well.

Burrell

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proz Profile being stalked?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »