small business software for freelancers anyone?
Thread poster: Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 03:15
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Apr 23, 2005

It will be now a year soon, 160k words behind me, some ( I said SOME;) bloopers, a learnng curve anyhow.

The pattern emerges and ... I guess it is pretty much generic, so before I start writing the software to put the jinn back into the bottle, a question to the community: is there some software to
a) help me keep the single orders tidy and my nose clean
b) do the administrative tasks (originals, work material, deliveries, TMs)
c) keep track of invoicing
d) o
... See more
It will be now a year soon, 160k words behind me, some ( I said SOME;) bloopers, a learnng curve anyhow.

The pattern emerges and ... I guess it is pretty much generic, so before I start writing the software to put the jinn back into the bottle, a question to the community: is there some software to
a) help me keep the single orders tidy and my nose clean
b) do the administrative tasks (originals, work material, deliveries, TMs)
c) keep track of invoicing
d) order a pizza when asked (not strictly required)

TiA

smo

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-04-23 14:01]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
to answer the first part of my question... Apr 23, 2005

Oh my, it's been there all the time in front of my nose:what's wrong with Source Safe - or any other RCS system - when it comes to keeping different/consecutive versions of files in order (by projects, with shared translation memories etc etc).

So the question rephrased would be invoicing and general small business issues.

TiA

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Pizza-ordering software Apr 23, 2005

The pizza-ordering software (which I use with increasing frequency, as I am getting busier) is available at www.prontopizza.de.

I use Practicount to produce my invoices, and good old Excel for my book-keeping.

In January I bought some Databecker software for book-keeping, but I do not use the "Kassenbuch" (I have decided that I prefer Excel). However, the Kontomat part of it is usefu
... See more
The pizza-ordering software (which I use with increasing frequency, as I am getting busier) is available at www.prontopizza.de.

I use Practicount to produce my invoices, and good old Excel for my book-keeping.

In January I bought some Databecker software for book-keeping, but I do not use the "Kassenbuch" (I have decided that I prefer Excel). However, the Kontomat part of it is useful for checking which invoices are overdue.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
re pizza service - do they have an Excel plugin;P Apr 23, 2005

well, that's more or less where I am now...

I do not use the "Kassenbuch" (I have decided that I prefer Excel).

There's a superb piece of sw from www.mssgmbh.de to do expenses - the entry barrier ("How th do I do this and that") is nonexistent. In my case, however, and that's probably typical, there's not much in terms in running costs to keep track of anyhow - of course any suggestions are welcome, my tax return 2004 is still in the works - phone, working room etc already accounted for.

So boiled down to essentials there's not much I could improve - could use that mssgmbh software for invoicing...

Thanks btw!

Edda Emery (X)
Edda Emery (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:15
German to English
+ ...
Pizza software Apr 24, 2005

Had a blonde moment, Astrid, re your pizza software. I thought: hmmm, I suppose pizza shops have numerous jobs happening at once and keeping track of them all could be compared to what sometimes happens in our industry! Good one! I wish I were in Germany, because I don't think it will work in Australia.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

small business software for freelancers anyone?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »