A. Deb
A. Deb  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 11, 2003

Hello Colleagues.

I was wondering if perhaps I could have your opinions. I would like to start learning another language and I\'m toying between Italian and Portuguese. In terms of translation/interpreting work, do you think that one is more in demand than the other?

I look forward to receiving your feedback.

Ana

Laura Gentili
Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Italian Apr 11, 2003

Just my opinion.

[ This Message was edited by: Laura G. on 2003-04-11 12:59]

[ This Message was edited by: Laura G. on 2003-04-11 16:47]

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Italiano Apr 11, 2003

I would also vote for Italian, but as for the size of the Portuguese market, you should not forget the 160 million or so Brazilians either.

All in all, Italian has more potential.

gellercup
gellercup
English to Italian
+ ...
ALso Brasilian people speak Portuguese Apr 11, 2003

I am Italian and learning Portuguese....both are interesting languages!!

By the way Portuguese is spoken by a larger population.

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Fortunately Portuguese (European Portuguese) is not only spoken in Portugal Apr 11, 2003

Hello,

Well, unfortunately lots of people also think the same, but European Portuguese is spoken in quite a few other countries and not only Portugal. It is also official language in some countries in Africa.

Portuguese (European Portuguese) is not only spoken in Portugal, Maybe it is worth a look on the Internet...

Well, hope this clarifies a bit... But, I am sure Portuguese translato
... See more
Hello,

Well, unfortunately lots of people also think the same, but European Portuguese is spoken in quite a few other countries and not only Portugal. It is also official language in some countries in Africa.

Portuguese (European Portuguese) is not only spoken in Portugal, Maybe it is worth a look on the Internet...

Well, hope this clarifies a bit... But, I am sure Portuguese translators wouldn\'t mind recommending other translators to learn Italian instead

Best regards,

Mónica

Collapse

Mónica Machado
Mónica Machado
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Also, please see links below - 10 million, did you say? Apr 11, 2003

Hello,

Just to send you also some links on the World\'s most spoken languages:

http://www.krysstal.com/spoken.html

http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm

On CPLP - Community of Portu
... See more
Hello,

Just to send you also some links on the World\'s most spoken languages:

http://www.krysstal.com/spoken.html

http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm

On CPLP - Community of Portuguese-speaking Countries:

http://flagspot.net/flags/cplp.html

Hope this clarifies a bit. After all Portuguese (European Portuguese and Brasilian Portuguese) is an official language spoken daily by many millions of people all over the World. I am afraid a lot more people speak Portuguese than Italian. Not only the 10 million...

Best regards,

Mónica
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:42
English to German
+ ...
Italian Apr 11, 2003

I think Italian is a little bit easier to pronounce and better paid than Portuguese. Although Italy is one of the poorer countries in the EU, a waiter in Brasil earns only 2 USD/day..

The interesting point about Portuguese is that it is nearer to the Latin roots and that Brasil is huge.

kbamert
kbamert  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
as you reside in Spain and having Spanish as mother tongue? Apr 12, 2003

Hello

As you reside in Spain I would learn the language of your neighbour country, which is (for a Spaniard) of immediate access on the level of translation. For interpretation I would learn Italian, because of Spanish interference into Portuguese.

Best regards,

Kurt

PS. Not taking into account economic aspects, note that on the level of EU the two languages are probably paid the same, according to the official
... See more
Hello

As you reside in Spain I would learn the language of your neighbour country, which is (for a Spaniard) of immediate access on the level of translation. For interpretation I would learn Italian, because of Spanish interference into Portuguese.

Best regards,

Kurt

PS. Not taking into account economic aspects, note that on the level of EU the two languages are probably paid the same, according to the official EU-rates and salaries, I suppose so, at least?

[ This Message was edited by: kbamert on 2003-04-12 19:32]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which language? Italian or Portuguese?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »