Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:32
Flemish to English
+ ...
Apr 5, 2003

The E.U.-guideline with regard to payments has become law in the Member-States of the E.U. But did this change the mentality in some countries like Italy, Spain and the Netherlands.

Do all agencies/companies now pay after 30 days and not after 120 or more?

It is sometimes easier to vote a law than to change the mentality of a nation where late payments are part of the culture of that country? Some response from Holland, Italy and Spain would be appreciated.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 23:32
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Re: payment practices Apr 5, 2003

Quote:

Do all agencies/companies now pay after 30 days and not after 120 or more?

They don\'t
[addsig]

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
In Spain, looks like little has changed Apr 5, 2003

11 de febrero de 2003, 13h10

FIAB ve imprescindible aplicar la directiva europea sobre morosidad y pide su incorporación en España

La Federación Española de Industrias de la Alimentación y Bebidas (FIAB) calificó hoy de \"imprescindible\" la aplicación de una directiva europea sobre morosidad en las relaciones comerciales para \"proteger los intereses del sector\", por lo que pidió al Gobierno su pronta inclusión en el
... See more
11 de febrero de 2003, 13h10

FIAB ve imprescindible aplicar la directiva europea sobre morosidad y pide su incorporación en España

La Federación Española de Industrias de la Alimentación y Bebidas (FIAB) calificó hoy de \"imprescindible\" la aplicación de una directiva europea sobre morosidad en las relaciones comerciales para \"proteger los intereses del sector\", por lo que pidió al Gobierno su pronta inclusión en el ordenamiento jurídico nacional.

FIAB explicó que la *******Comisión Europea remitió un dictamen de requerimiento contra el Gobierno español, además de Grecia, Portugal y Luxemburgo, por el incumplimiento de los plazos de incorporación, que finalizaron en agosto, de esta directiva sobre morosidad en el derecho nacional**********.

La directiva sobre morosidad en las relaciones comerciales establece, además del derecho de pago con intereses cuando el plazo excede los 31 días en una transacción comercial (estipulado en ********una media de 130 días en España*********), la articulación de una cláusula \'anti-abuso\' que anule cualquier contrato o plantilla que imponga condiciones desmedidas, o la legitimación de las organizaciones empresariales en la defensa jurídica de sus asociados contra los abusos de los deudores.

La Federación, que cita fuentes de la Comisión, recordó que una de cada tres quiebras empresariales se debe a la morosidad y el retraso en las transacciones, lo que produce una pérdida de aproximadamente 450.000 puestos de trabajo cada año en la UE.

In brief the EU has called on Spain, among other countries, to comply....the average delay in Spain is calculated at 130 days...

For anyone interested the EU website is

http://europa.eu.int/comm/enterprise/regulation/late_payments/index.htm

\"More than half the Member States have already transposed Directive 2000/35/EC of the Parliament and of the Council of 29 June 2000 on combating late payment in commercial transactions. However, as of 30 September 2002, the Commission had still received no notification from the following:

Greece, Spain, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Austria and Portugal.

In the case of those Member States that have not yet transposed, the Commission opened infringement procedures under Article 226 of the EC Treaty on 30 September 2002.\"

Collapse

Nenija Hasanic
Nenija Hasanic
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Bosnian
+ ...
No Apr 5, 2003

In spite of European Parliament\'s directive on combating late payments, there are still a lot of agencies requesting payment term that is exceeding 30 days. I am collaborating with one French agency that normally pays after 60-90 days, stating that this is normal practice! Problem is that many freelancers are not in position to refuse similar jobs.

Jacqueline van der Spek
Jacqueline van der Spek  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
payment practices in The Netherlands Apr 5, 2003

I\'m not only a freelance translator, but I am also a Managing Director of an agency for health and safety for over 20 years now, and I always pay my bills within 30 days and so do my customers. I don\'t know where you got the idea that the Dutch have a bad mentality with paying their bills. My experiences are completely the opposite.

Kind regards,

Jacqueline

Marco Oberto
Marco Oberto  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
No changes Apr 5, 2003

For the time being, in my personal experience I haven\'t noticed any changes. Italian as well as other European agencies and editors are still in the habit of paying my invoices after 60-90 days within receipts. I hope that in the near future they will get used to the new EU regulation.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Not necessarily 30 days Apr 5, 2003

It\'s important to note that the new law does not mean you cannot set a shorter deadline. My invoices state that they are payable on receipt, and the majority of customers pay within 2-3 weeks. I generally start enquiries if an invoice is still unpaid after 3 weeks.

I generally pay invoices received by freelancers within a maximum of 10 days.

Best, Ralf

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
The Dutch are not slow payers! Apr 5, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-05 12:39, JHofman wrote:

I don\'t know where you got the idea that the Dutch have a bad mentality with paying their bills. My experiences are completely the opposite.

IMHO and according to my experience I totally agree with Jaqueline.

Mats J C Wiman

Übersetzer/Translator/Tr... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-05 12:39, JHofman wrote:

I don\'t know where you got the idea that the Dutch have a bad mentality with paying their bills. My experiences are completely the opposite.

IMHO and according to my experience I totally agree with Jaqueline.

Mats J C Wiman

Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe

http://www.MatsWiman.com

http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com

http://www.proz.com/translator/1749 Deu>swe Proz.com moderator

eMail : [email protected]

Träsk 201

SE-872 97 Skog

Tel : +46-612-54112

Fax : +46-612-54181

Mobile: +46-70-5769797

Collapse

medical (X)
medical (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dutch are quick payers Apr 5, 2003

It is great to work with Dutch agencies.

Payement in 2 or 3 days

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:32
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No smoke without fire. Apr 5, 2003

Thanks for the tips and comment.I do not want to generalize, but there is no smoke without fire. The general believe that you will get you money from the Dutch with the help of a debt-collection agency must be based upon some basis of truth.

If not, I.O.U.

I do not want to generalize either, but isn\'t late payment a part of the Italian \"Dolce Vita\" culture? One of my acquaintances is responsible for delivering machine-parts to Italy and his company always paid, but only
... See more
Thanks for the tips and comment.I do not want to generalize, but there is no smoke without fire. The general believe that you will get you money from the Dutch with the help of a debt-collection agency must be based upon some basis of truth.

If not, I.O.U.

I do not want to generalize either, but isn\'t late payment a part of the Italian \"Dolce Vita\" culture? One of my acquaintances is responsible for delivering machine-parts to Italy and his company always paid, but only after 60 days.

The last three countries to implement the E.U-guideline with regard to payments into their national legislation were Holland, Luxembourg and Italy.

Collapse

langnet
langnet  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to German
+ ...
Dutch and Italians Apr 5, 2003

Quote:

The general believe that you will get you money from the Dutch with the help of a debt-collection agency must be based upon some basis of truth.

Well, I\'ve worked for a Dutch agency, and they paid within 30 days of invoice. Also, the rate was very good.

Quote:

I do not want to generalize either, but isn\'t late payment... See more
Quote:

The general believe that you will get you money from the Dutch with the help of a debt-collection agency must be based upon some basis of truth.

Well, I\'ve worked for a Dutch agency, and they paid within 30 days of invoice. Also, the rate was very good.

Quote:

I do not want to generalize either, but isn\'t late payment a part of the Italian \"Dolce Vita\" culture? One of my acquaintances is responsible for delivering machine-parts to Italy and his company always paid, but only after 60 days.

Well, I wouldn\'t define it the Italian \"Dolce Vita\" way of life, 60 days after invoicing are very good, still.

The really \"big companies\" we\'ve been working for even pay after 120/150 days.

In Italy, payment terms are largely used as a form of vendor \"credit allowance\" at 0% Interest. No \"banking house\" would lend you money at this rate )))

Nevertheless, also in Germany, working for big groups like car manufacturers is the same, they surely don\'t think they should pay within 30 days of invoice ...

The bigger they are, the.... Still, payment is sure.

[ This Message was edited by: langnet on 2003-04-05 21:13] ▲ Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Now that the law is on our side, what can we do? Apr 5, 2003

In Holland and elsewhere in the world I have always been paid within 30 days, or before. A few agencies asked for longer terms exceptionally.

I work with a Belgian agency paying at 90 days end of month. This is an old arrangement, and I find it difficult to rise the problem.

In Italy agencies regularly propose payments at 90 days end of month, and most take another 30-60 days. I practically do not work with Italian agencies anymore.

<
... See more
In Holland and elsewhere in the world I have always been paid within 30 days, or before. A few agencies asked for longer terms exceptionally.

I work with a Belgian agency paying at 90 days end of month. This is an old arrangement, and I find it difficult to rise the problem.

In Italy agencies regularly propose payments at 90 days end of month, and most take another 30-60 days. I practically do not work with Italian agencies anymore.

[/quote]

In Italy, payment terms are largely used as a form of vendor \"credit allowance\" at 0% Interest. No \"banking house\" would lend you money at this rate

[/quote]

Nothing to laugh about this! This is exactly the reason why the law was made. Agreeing to a rate and than taking back part of it as unpaid interest is simply a fraud! There should be a way to report these behaviors to the authorities. Shouldn\'t AITI do something?

[ This Message was edited by: ITS on 2003-04-05 23:44]

[ This Message was edited by: ITS on 2003-04-06 00:00]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment Practises in Europe

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »