Anna Moorby DipTrans
Anna Moorby DipTrans  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 23, 2022

Hi there everyone,
I pretty much work entirely with Spanish clients, and as you may know, Spain all but closes down in August, but there is also often a slump in January.
I was wondering if anyone has diversified in order to expand your income stream to make up for when translation work slows down, not necessarily in those months but in general? And what they do?
Thanks
Anna

Giulia Marconi

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:25
Japanese to English
+ ...
Diversification Jun 23, 2022

You might find a part-time job. What about working for BA or Iberia on flights to Spain (azafata?)

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Anna Jun 23, 2022

Adding a new language pair (preferably a language spoken in a country where everything doesn’t close down in August and January…)? I must say that occasionally August is a very busy month for me in Portugal, because nearly everybody else is on vacation.

P.S. Yoga and Zumba aren’t
... See more
Adding a new language pair (preferably a language spoken in a country where everything doesn’t close down in August and January…)? I must say that occasionally August is a very busy month for me in Portugal, because nearly everybody else is on vacation.

P.S. Yoga and Zumba aren’t enough? https://www.linkedin.com/in/anna-moorby-42a62235/?originalSubdomain=uk
Collapse

Kevin Clayton, PhD

Anna Moorby DipTrans
Anna Moorby DipTrans  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Diversification Jun 23, 2022

Thanks both of you. Teresa, I haven't taught zumba since my daughter was born 8 years ago! I suppose I could try and get back into Thai Yoga Massage (similarly stopped after giving birth). The only thing is my slump coincides with the summer holidays when we are usually in Spain with the in-laws, so I guess I was looking more for online opportunities.
Does no one else have an August slump then? I am pretty much always available to work but it's my clients who are on holiday!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Anna Jun 23, 2022

I translate exclusively into Portuguese (European) and none of my clients are in Portugal (lived in Belgium for 30 years). Why don’t you try finding clients (translation agencies and big international organizations) outside Spain? That’s maybe a solution… Good luck!

[Edited at 2022-06-23 13:57 GMT]

Elena Feriani
Christopher Schröder

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Have a holiday? Jun 23, 2022

It's normally very quiet in Scandinavia from mid-June to mid-August, but I see it as a great chance to relax and have some time off.

Baran Keki
Tony Keily
Gerard de Noord
Sabrina Ciserchia

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:25
Italian to English
Book by Nicole Adams Jun 24, 2022

Anna, you may be interested in the book "Diversification in the Language Industry: Success beyond translation" by Nicole. Y. Adams. Some great advice, I'd highly recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/Diversification-Language-Industry-Success-translation/dp/0987477722

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to diversify to make up for the August/January slumps in work

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »