AVG and wordfast Classic
Thread poster: Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 18:36
Spanish to English
Dec 13, 2015

Just a warning. AVG told me I had a virus threat and I clicked to remove it, obviously, and it deleted wordfast.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:36
Finnish to French
What to do when an antivirus detects wordfast.dot as a virus Dec 13, 2015

Every now and then, antivirus XYZ (falsely) claims the Wordfast template (wordfast.dot) is a virus. This has been the case with Norton and Avast in the past:

http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/280033-norton_internet_security_detects_wordfast_as_a_threat.html<
... See more
Every now and then, antivirus XYZ (falsely) claims the Wordfast template (wordfast.dot) is a virus. This has been the case with Norton and Avast in the past:

http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/280033-norton_internet_security_detects_wordfast_as_a_threat.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/273398-avast_blocks_wordfast_help_needed.html

You can use the same generic techniques with AVG, or whatever other overzealous antivirus wants to "disinfect" Wordfast.
Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dominique Dec 13, 2015

Thanks ofr the quick response, but I can't seem to apply these techniques to AVG. I am now waiting to make contact with someone from AVG for advice. I will try to report back on how it goes

Lesley Clarke
Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Result Dec 13, 2015

I just needed the user install path for wordfast to put in AVG's exceptions.

Thanks again

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Versions of Wordfast & AVG? Dec 13, 2015

What versions of Wordfast and AVG are you using? I installed the free version of AVG, which didn’t find anything suspicious in Wordfast 6.13 and 6.37. It did find something in the (much) older 5.92. Hence my question.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:36
German to English
+ ...
AVG is wrong in this case! Dec 13, 2015

I have AVG (free) version 2012. I have asked it to scan wordfast.dot (version 5.92m, the one I currently use). AVG thinks it contains a virus of type W97M/Generic ! Does somebody (e.g. Dominique) know which part of this wordfast template looks like a virus as defined by AVG?

Yes, as you may have inferred, my AVG doesn't automatically scan hard-disk contents. Its only automatic activity is the anti-rootkit. Yes, that was my deliberate choice. My protection against viruses in email at
... See more
I have AVG (free) version 2012. I have asked it to scan wordfast.dot (version 5.92m, the one I currently use). AVG thinks it contains a virus of type W97M/Generic ! Does somebody (e.g. Dominique) know which part of this wordfast template looks like a virus as defined by AVG?

Yes, as you may have inferred, my AVG doesn't automatically scan hard-disk contents. Its only automatic activity is the anti-rootkit. Yes, that was my deliberate choice. My protection against viruses in email attachments is the fact that an email with an attachment containing a virus is so obvious to me; I either delete them or put them in a 'museum' folder for possibly showing to other people and/or deleting later. The one thing that is prohibited with such an email is to open the attachment to see why you were incorrectly sent the invoice, receipt, delivery notice etc. That action will install the virus and the company that appears to have sent the email most likely knows nothing about it. Sometimes I download the attachment to my hard disk (download, NOT open) and ask AVG to scan it - the result is usually that it detects a "trojan horse" virus (but AVG sometimes doesn't recognise a virus until at least a day after it has been released). I then delete that file.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Wordfast’s features that are interpreted as a virus Dec 13, 2015

Oliver Walter wrote:
Does somebody (e.g. Dominique) know which part of this wordfast template looks like a virus as defined by AVG?

It’s basically things like Ctrl+Alt+W (used for installation), AutoSuggest (which constantly monitors the keyboard for input) etc.

No idea why 5.92 would look suspicious and 6.13 not, since both versions include the same features.

Antivirus software should take into consideration the fact the Wordfast template is digitally signed:

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 02:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
No problems with free version AVG Dec 14, 2015

I've been using the AVG free version with WF Classic for a few years now and never had any problems like this with WF.
I did have an issue for a while with the DNS (Dragon) plug-in, but I think we managed to sort that out using the Windows "Trust Centre" settings (or whatever they are calling it now)

Lesley Clarke
Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
It didn't work Dec 14, 2015

Damn! I hadn't restarted my computer yesterday as I had work to do, so the AVG remained deactivated. Today as soon as I switched on my computer and it again automatically removed wordfast, grrrr. So that was not the solution

I use the Free AVG and had wordfast 5.92m.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Old vs. new Wordfast Dec 14, 2015

Lesley Clarke wrote:
I use the Free AVG and had wordfast 5.92m.

As I said, AVG Free didn’t have anything against 6.13 and 6.37. It’s 5.92 it didn’t like.

Lesley Clarke
Mexico
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Dec 15, 2015

Thanks for everyone's help. AVG never got back to me so I updated to wordfast 6.13. I am very grateful for all the advice and help here.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

AVG and wordfast Classic

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »