Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:52
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The relevant passage in English Dec 1, 2023

The relevant passage in English:

Conspiracies over damaging leaks also extended to his [Charles' -- ed.] own personal bubble. When some details of private written correspondence between Charles and daughter-in-law Meghan appeared in the Telegraph on April 21, 2023, there were worries that the tip-off had come from within. Though fingers of blame are often pointed in the Sussex direction, this was an exchange that both parties wanted to keep confidential—letters addressing Meghan�
... See more
The relevant passage in English:

Conspiracies over damaging leaks also extended to his [Charles' -- ed.] own personal bubble. When some details of private written correspondence between Charles and daughter-in-law Meghan appeared in the Telegraph on April 21, 2023, there were worries that the tip-off had come from within. Though fingers of blame are often pointed in the Sussex direction, this was an exchange that both parties wanted to keep confidential—letters addressing Meghan’s concerns about unconscious racial bias in the royal family in the wake of the Oprah interview. The newspaper’s vague reporting, mostly centered on the existence of the written communication, made no mention of the damning details within them, but, said a Palace insider, “there was certainly discussion amongst [the team] that it could be a warning shot from someone . . . something to shake the King up ahead of the coronation.” Though they were personal messages, some Palace aides—one of whom later left on less than amicable terms—also caught sight of the letters as they were sent and received.

Charles had initially reached out to his daughter-in-law in spring 2021 to express his sadness over the huge distance between the two parties and his disappointment that the couple chose to go so public with their words. But what had upset him the most was Meghan’s disclosure that “several conversations” were had in the family, away from herself and Harry, that featured “concerns” over what color their unborn son Archie’s skin might be and “what that would mean or look like [for the Firm].” When speaking with Oprah, both Harry and Meghan chose to refrain from sharing who was involved in this exchange. (A representative for the couple would only go on to clarify that it was not the Queen nor Prince Philip.) “I think that would be very damaging to them,” Meghan said. But in the pages of these private letters, two identities were revealed. Laws in the United Kingdom prevent me from reporting who they were.

The King, said sources, wanted his response to make clear to Meghan that he felt there was no ill will or casual prejudice present when the two people had spoken about his future grandson. “He wanted to clear up something he felt strongly about,” said a royal insider. For Meghan—who had never used the words racist or racism in her descriptions of this event or in the letters—her bigger concern was, added the insider, “the way in which these conversations were had . . . Their tone . . . revealed lingering unconscious bias and ignorance within the family that needed to be addressed.” The letters, described a second source, were “a respectful back and forth” but “serious.” They added, “I don’t know if either saw completely eye to eye in the end, but there was at least a feeling that both had been heard.” Since then, said a source close to the two families, the pair have had pleasant, if occasional, exchanges. “There are no hard feelings about this specific incident, but there is distance, and everything else remains unaddressed,” said the source. For the Sussexes’ part, though communication with Charles—who declined an invite to granddaughter Lilibet’s March 3, 2023, christening in California due to scheduling conflicts—is infrequent, they “still keep him in the loop on their family life, sending new photos of the children.”
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Dutch translator says she didn't add the names Dec 1, 2023

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/royal-family/omid-scobie-endgame-book-royals-dutch-latest-news-b2456587.html

Mr Scobie ... issued a statement yesterday afternoon in which he insisted it was a 'error in the translation' in the Dutch version ...

But Netherlands pu
... See more
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/royal-family/omid-scobie-endgame-book-royals-dutch-latest-news-b2456587.html

Mr Scobie ... issued a statement yesterday afternoon in which he insisted it was a 'error in the translation' in the Dutch version ...

But Netherlands publisher simply referred to 'an error that occurred in the Dutch edition' - not making any reference to a translation issue ...
Collapse

reliable

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Too fast Dec 1, 2023

I remember that there was a time when the Dutch translation of American science fiction books appeared earlier than the original American version. The Dutch publishers must have gotten that version very early.
As far as I know, the publishers often get versions very early, and I think the Dutch publisher got a version which hadn't been completely checked yet, they gave that to the translator, the translator translated, send in his work, and nobody involved in the process ever realised tha
... See more
I remember that there was a time when the Dutch translation of American science fiction books appeared earlier than the original American version. The Dutch publishers must have gotten that version very early.
As far as I know, the publishers often get versions very early, and I think the Dutch publisher got a version which hadn't been completely checked yet, they gave that to the translator, the translator translated, send in his work, and nobody involved in the process ever realised that they didn't check whether it was the definitive version.
In my opinion, the name was there in the beginning, from the first draft of the book, and only got erased very late in the production process.
Collapse

Emma B
Robert Rietvelt
P.L.F. Persio
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
reliable

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:52
Danish to English
+ ...
Divorce Dec 16, 2023

Tom in London wrote:

I can't wait for the California-style divorce. She will take him to the cleaners (as the saying goes).

In which case he's going to look mega-harried.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Standing behind Dec 16, 2023

reliable wrote:

I hope that the Proz community will stand behind the translator who has been accused in this "stunt". As we all know, no reputable translator would ever add a name to a manuscript.

Until it is proven who did what, I'm not going to stand behind or accuse anyone. People jump to conclusions much too quickly these days based on emotions rather than facts.

No reputable translator would do such a thing, save for a mishap such as an accidental copy and paste or accidentally comparing one part of the source with another part of the target. But are we sure this is a reputable translator? Maybe the rate on offer didn't appeal to reputable translators and editors. I would have found it tempting to ask for a premium for working with this perpetual soap opera.

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Actually, I know of one case ... Dec 17, 2023

Christopher Schröder wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67561190

So the Dutch translator of this book about the English royalty managed to “mistranslate” a sentence whereby two unnamed people making inappropriate enquiries about a baby’s skin colour become one named person?

Unless someone Dutch here can explain how that might happen, I suspect it’s not true and the translator is being made the scapegoat.

But if it is, we might finally get that example of a translator actually being sued…

Actually, I know of one case of a translator actually being sued.

But it's a really wierd case of an editor (in a publishing house) who simply signed himself as the "translator" of a book - from a language he doesn't even know.

So yes, there is a least one case of a (self-declared) translator being sued - for not being the real translator of the book.

There is also another case of an unchecked translation resulting in huge material damage - but I very much doubt anyone bothered to sue that translator. The damage was such that even several hundred lifetime translator's earnings wouldn't cover it.

As for "People jump to conclusions much too quickly these days based on emotions rather than facts", that's not really some new thing.

Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

World’s fishiest “translation error”?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »