France
Local time: 00:56
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
. Mar 7, 2022

[quote]Jan Truper wrote:

Anna1307 wrote:

Keep in mind that romance novels can have a surprisingly large gay readership.

What do you mean by that?

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Mar 7, 2022

[quote]Veronica Montserrat wrote:

Jan Truper wrote:

Anna1307 wrote:

This was actually an instruction I received once when I was working on a similar project -- the client wanted to make sure that translators do not use any offensive terminology in this regard (which, as I know from several multi-language-projects I was involved in, happens way too often).

Veronica Montserrat
Veronica Montserrat
France
Member (2020)
English to French
+ ...
. Mar 7, 2022

[quote]Jan Truper wrote:

Veronica Montserrat wrote:

Jan Truper wrote:

Anna1307 wrote:

This was actually an instruction I received once when I was working on a similar project -- the client wanted to make sure that translators do not use any offensive terminology in this regard (which, as I know from several multi-language-projects I was involved in, happens way too often).

Oh, ok. But why would a translator use any offensive language if there isn't any in the source? I mean, a translator's job is to translate nor to rewrite. Thank you for explaining anyways.

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
... Mar 7, 2022

Veronica Montserrat wrote:

Oh, ok. But why would a translator use any offensive language if there isn't any in the source? I mean, a translator's job is to translate nor to rewrite. Thank you for explaining anyways.

When translating fiction, you can exercise options within a narrow scope, since the goal is not verbatim rendition, but an entertaining product.
You often have choices to lean this way or that way, and it happens all too fast that translators instill a bit of judgment. It doesn't have to boil down to a blatantly offensive word, but many translators lack the required sensibility.
In some languages and cultures, this seems to be more prevalent than in others.

You can witness that here on Proz, too, where people sometimes post misogynistic (misogynist? misogynous? misogynic? misogynistical?) or homophobic slurs without even realizing it.

[Edited at 2022-03-07 20:31 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:56
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I don't know how she does it Mar 8, 2022

I've been reading quite a lot of Orhan Pamuk, translated into English from the original Turkish by Maureen Freely. I don't know how on earth she does it but in the translation, there's a delicacy, and an evanescent irony, that Pamuk only slightly expresses in his writing.

I know Maureen Freely works closely with Pamuk, She is fluent in the Turkish language, and has been conversant from an early age with Turkish culture, life, and history. These, I would think, are similar to the m
... See more
I've been reading quite a lot of Orhan Pamuk, translated into English from the original Turkish by Maureen Freely. I don't know how on earth she does it but in the translation, there's a delicacy, and an evanescent irony, that Pamuk only slightly expresses in his writing.

I know Maureen Freely works closely with Pamuk, She is fluent in the Turkish language, and has been conversant from an early age with Turkish culture, life, and history. These, I would think, are similar to the minimum attributes (in any language) required for a translator of (serious) fiction. I suspect some other requirements would be to have a secure academic position, no concerns about how little you're being paid, and plenty of time to do a thorough job.

I don't speak a word of Turkish, and I would be interested to hear from some Turkish translator colleagues what they think of Maureen Freely's translations. To me (a modest translator of technical reports, birth certificates, construction documents, and the like) she stands at the pinnacle of an unattainable ideal!

In this video she describes translating as being "caught in the middle" and getting into arguments with Pamuk, both "pleasant and unpleasant" .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEQb99SfcvA

[Edited at 2022-03-08 13:46 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating fiction books

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »