Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How much to charge this person for my whole day?
Thread poster: Arturo Villasenor Garcia
Anja Fulle
Anja Fulle  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:16
Member (2010)
English to German
+ ...
value your own work Jun 12, 2012

I have been working as a freelance translator for over 20 years now, and I have come across frustrating experiences as well. I translate into German and Spanish, and I confess that I now hardly translate into Spanish anymore, and if I do, it is mostly for clients that have known me for a while and value my work, just because over the last 5 or 6 years, rates have dropped lower and lower. It is ridiculous what some people think a translators work is worth, but, as it already has been said in thi... See more
I have been working as a freelance translator for over 20 years now, and I have come across frustrating experiences as well. I translate into German and Spanish, and I confess that I now hardly translate into Spanish anymore, and if I do, it is mostly for clients that have known me for a while and value my work, just because over the last 5 or 6 years, rates have dropped lower and lower. It is ridiculous what some people think a translators work is worth, but, as it already has been said in this forum, don't give away your work for almost nothing. The time and work we invest in our education is not honored (not by ourselves and not by the client), if we work for peanuts.
Not only does it affect you, but it also sends out a message to clients that they actually CAN get cheap translation work.
If she does not accept a decent rate (depending on where in the US you are located, this should be at the very, very least 25-30 $ per hour), tell her thank you and goodbye and go looking for better clients.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much to charge this person for my whole day?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »