Thread poster: Ledja
Ledja
Ledja  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:45
English to Albanian
+ ...
Feb 8, 2012

I accepted to take a test for 2 adverts of different products and brands and was given a week to come up with a few differently translated/adapted versions of each - I delivered the work last night. The agency seems well established and staff have a perfectly professional approach. However, something's been bugging me. I have found out that at least one of the products from the adverts is being currently launched in Albania. Is it not unusual for a test to be on a newly launched product? Do I ra... See more
I accepted to take a test for 2 adverts of different products and brands and was given a week to come up with a few differently translated/adapted versions of each - I delivered the work last night. The agency seems well established and staff have a perfectly professional approach. However, something's been bugging me. I have found out that at least one of the products from the adverts is being currently launched in Albania. Is it not unusual for a test to be on a newly launched product? Do I raise this question with the agency or am I being paranoid?Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
it's really alright Feb 8, 2012

Ledja, I think you're a smart and quite sensible translator with both critical thinking and good scepticism, not a paranoid. Indeed, they can give you real ads for testing, and I understand your fears that this may turn out to be about freeload-freebies which is no good.

As far as, judging from your post, the tasks were quite reasonable I see no objection to it, BUT what really makes me wonder is--shouldn't you had found it right before proceeding? I mean that before your tas
... See more
Ledja, I think you're a smart and quite sensible translator with both critical thinking and good scepticism, not a paranoid. Indeed, they can give you real ads for testing, and I understand your fears that this may turn out to be about freeload-freebies which is no good.

As far as, judging from your post, the tasks were quite reasonable I see no objection to it, BUT what really makes me wonder is--shouldn't you had found it right before proceeding? I mean that before your task a translator usually makes some preliminary researches on the topic, finds some terms and relevant data etc.

So, how it come that you found info about the ads only AFTER, not BEFORE?
Nope, I'm not picky or something, but the first thing I usually do is check for traits and possible plagiarism, then scan the terms and numbers, and only then decide whether I'm apt to or I'd rather not

Don't worry, perhaps it's just a promo, a marketing launch, but you datamining skills make me wonder because very many biz gurus consider translation/interpreting as... information service!
Anyway, wish you good luck. Stay cool and sensible.

Cheers)
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:45
Chinese to English
Sounds like copywriting to me Feb 9, 2012

I have no problem with that - I sometimes do some copywriting under the guise of translation. But I'd be very surprised to see that kind of thing as a test. If your agency is mixing up copywriting and translation in this way, I'd be wary about anything they do.

Ledja
Ledja  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I knew beforehand Feb 9, 2012

DZiW wrote:
So, how it come that you found info about the ads only AFTER, not BEFORE?
Nope, I'm not picky or something, but the first thing I usually do is check for traits and possible plagiarism, then scan the terms and numbers, and only then decide whether I'm apt to or I'd rather not

Don't worry, perhaps it's just a promo, a marketing launch, but you datamining skills make me wonder because very many biz gurus consider translation/interpreting as... information service!

Hi DZiW,

I did not say I found out after completing the test - it actually happened right at the beginning of my research on the topic. The launch of the product had been so worthy of attention that it had even got a spot on the newsround.

The angency did reply to my question about any projects becoming available that they were expecting some in the coming months but were in no position to share specific information just yet. As this is my very first time handling test translations of this nature - providing options and word play for a single slogan - I am not sure whether the agency would, on decision to accept the translation, offer to pay for this as a proper working project. Would they (dare to) use the slogan without an agreement when it's going to be so widespread in the country? Surely I'd come across it soon.

As for copywriting, Phil, I took it to be part of the job, in a way. The agency approached me on having checked my profile here and were interested in the creative writing aspect. I have already been given an idea of what to expect in terms of payment for this kind of job, and it seems to be in line with marketing translations, although, I'd be happy to hear more specifically from those who've tried their hand at this.

Regards,

Ledja

[Edited at 2012-02-09 19:58 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:45
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Hi Ledja Feb 9, 2012

That's all part of the test. Good translation agencies will do that. This way, they can verify that you actually perform proper research, that you are highly concerned if you are supposed to adopt existing wording or not (after all, the previous translator needs to be replaced for unknown reasons), that you are concerned about copyright issues - in my opinion, you already passed.

If you are concerned about providing
... See more
That's all part of the test. Good translation agencies will do that. This way, they can verify that you actually perform proper research, that you are highly concerned if you are supposed to adopt existing wording or not (after all, the previous translator needs to be replaced for unknown reasons), that you are concerned about copyright issues - in my opinion, you already passed.

If you are concerned about providing freebies - I can only keep preaching over and over never to do any tests at no charge. AFAIK, a symbolic amount of $25 has never driven any company into financial ruin. Which in return is YOUR way of testing your future business partner.
Collapse

Ledja
Ledja  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nicole :) Feb 9, 2012

The worst scenario I am mulling over is:
The agency gets in touch to say my work/style was not what they're looking for, we part on friendly terms and, in a few months' time, I find the posters with my slogan are advertised across the country (or the televised advert of the second product is airing on national TV). Can I prove that the slogan really came from my test translation and is not merely a coincidence (i.e. another translator could just as easily have come up with it)? Can I link
... See more
The agency gets in touch to say my work/style was not what they're looking for, we part on friendly terms and, in a few months' time, I find the posters with my slogan are advertised across the country (or the televised advert of the second product is airing on national TV). Can I prove that the slogan really came from my test translation and is not merely a coincidence (i.e. another translator could just as easily have come up with it)? Can I link the client to this agency (after finding out who it is first, of course)? Do I have a leg to stand on?

My dilemma at the moment is: do I let the agency know that I am aware that an ad campaign may be immininent for one of the products?

On the other hand, if this turns out to be just one of the many running ads in the presumed campaign and the agency is happy to have me as their translator, should I request to be paid for this ad along with the rest?

Very, I stress, very rarely do I accept to take unpaid test translations, and what got me inclined this time was the nature of the translation and the agency's approach and website - they seem to only be dealing with this line of translations, which is a variation that interests me.

Will wait and see... and learn.
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
out of sequence Feb 9, 2012

Ledja, then I must have read it the other way round)

Ok, atm let's see it: what was your task? Just to make a test translation, right?
So, just keep translating and expect a reply from then soon.

But when you're in then preinvestigation is a must!

Cheers.

christela (X)
christela (X)
No, you can't Feb 9, 2012

Ledja Derveni wrote:

The agency gets in touch to say my work/style was not what they're looking for, we part on friendly terms and, in a few months' time, I find the posters with my slogan are advertised across the country (or the televised advert of the second product is airing on national TV). Can I prove that the slogan really came from my test translation and is not merely a coincidence (i.e. another translator could just as easily have come up with it)? Can I link the client to this agency (after finding out who it is first, of course)? Do I have a leg to stand on?

You did a test translation and you took a small risk, the one of not being paid. What the client will be doing with this, is not your problem. If you sold - say - a slogan for 0 or for 25 GBP and the translation agency sold it for 50 GBP to the advertising agency and the latter sold it for 500 GBP to the client (I am not inventing this, and they add a video of 15 seconds worth several thousands of GBP) - this is none of your business. We translators are the last part of the chain. The only thing you can hope for is that your client comes back with more work, and then you can ask for feedback.

Ledja
Ledja  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why not? Feb 10, 2012

I have been promissed some sort of feedback whatever the outcome within one month. I guess that's a reasonable timeframe for the adverts to be sent for a thorough review through to the advertising agency, client or whoever.

christela wrote:

What the client will be doing with this, is not your problem. If you sold - say - a slogan for 0 or for 25 GBP and the translation agency sold it for 50 GBP to the advertising agency and the latter sold it for 500 GBP to the client (I am not inventing this, and they add a video of 15 seconds worth several thousands of GBP) - this is none of your business.

Test translations are usually either:
standard ones that are given to all translators wishing to apply with an agency,

or:
an excerpt from a specific project that translators are being chosen for.

My case looks like the latter, only both adverts may be not part, but the whole of the project. So, hypothetically speaking, how is it acceptable that an agency gets to use them without my saying so? That would be beyond dodgy. Same as giving a whole book to translate as a test, reject it and still publish it.

I don't mean to be distrustful - I have had no cause to so far - just wary due to certain information I came across.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
promises premises Feb 11, 2012

Ledja, the point is they have no enforcible obligations (except moral) to do anything because you have no official (written) proves as evidences. I hope that you still have a few relevant emails from them.

Then. why should you do 'free lunch tests'? I mean if you have adequate exp and have got a portfolio then why those free rides?

Ok, it may have not very much to do with the question regarding payment and job offer, but still...
Have you read the history of the c
... See more
Ledja, the point is they have no enforcible obligations (except moral) to do anything because you have no official (written) proves as evidences. I hope that you still have a few relevant emails from them.

Then. why should you do 'free lunch tests'? I mean if you have adequate exp and have got a portfolio then why those free rides?

Ok, it may have not very much to do with the question regarding payment and job offer, but still...
Have you read the history of the company yet?

Anyway, just keep in touch how it evolves
Cheers.
Collapse

Ledja
Ledja  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
- Feb 11, 2012

The company's blue board record is a glowing one. I guess the reason I did not press for a paid test is that I loved the idea of a project of this nature, but had no previous experience of having handled one that demonstrated my specific skills. A bit of a catch-22 situation.

DZiW wrote:

just keep in touch how it evolves

Will do.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:45
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
That's not the reason, christela Feb 12, 2012

christela wrote:
this is none of your business. We translators are the last part of the chain.

Last of the chain? I think not.
We sell the copyrights to our work because we choose to do so, not because we are told to. You are free to insist on 1.) full exclusive rights, 2.) full exclusive rights for a limited time, 3.) otherwise limited copyright, or to 4.) relinquish all copyrights, yet have the right to use your translation work for self-marketing purposes, or to 5.) surrender all your copyrights because you failed to clear this issue beforehand and because you voluntarily consider yourself the very end of the food-chain.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Marketing translation test

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »