Looking for tips for Arabic Translation/DTP process, through SDL and/or Worldserver
Thread poster: STAR7
STAR7
STAR7
United States
Local time: 06:49
English
+ ...
Nov 4, 2011

We will have a large project starting for translation/formatting into Arabic. Our translators do the DTP and formatting to all Arabic files and deliver final, print-ready files to us. However, when using SDL/Worldserver and sending translation packages to the translators, there is the potential for delays if they have to wait for us to clean the file and send back to them for DTP. Does anyone have any tips on their process when working with translators who do the translation and DTP, but when th... See more
We will have a large project starting for translation/formatting into Arabic. Our translators do the DTP and formatting to all Arabic files and deliver final, print-ready files to us. However, when using SDL/Worldserver and sending translation packages to the translators, there is the potential for delays if they have to wait for us to clean the file and send back to them for DTP. Does anyone have any tips on their process when working with translators who do the translation and DTP, but when the LSP hosts the TMs and is responsible for importing/exporting the files?

This is the process that I see right now, based on my (limited) knowledge of SDL and Worldserver:

- Agency imports source files (Word/PPT) into SDL/Worldserver
- Agency applies SDL/Worldserver TMs
- Agency exports to .sdlxiff
- Agency sends .sdlxiff to translator
- Translator translates the .sdlxiff file in Studio 2009
- Translator sends back fully translated .sdlxiff
- Agency imports translated .sdlxiff into SDL/Worldserver
- Agency exports "clean" files from SDL/Worldserver (Word/PPT)
- Agency sends translated Word/PPT to translator
- Translator DTPs the Word/PPT
- Translator sends back "final" files

With this current process, I see potential to lose time since the translator will have to wait to receive the translated Word/PPT files from us (the agency) to start on the DTP. I'm wondering if there is another/better way to do this process so they can start the DTP as soon as a file is translated, rather than waiting to receive a "clean" file from me (this could be 1-2 days lag time).

Thank you in advance for your help!
Collapse

Hassan Lotfy
Hassan Lotfy  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 13:49
Member (2011)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Project Management Nov 5, 2011

Maybe a shorter route:
1) Agency segments the source file using trados 2009
2) Agency sends trados files and TMs to translators with source
3) Translators, translate and dtp files and send all files to agency

[Edited at 2011-11-05 05:07 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for tips for Arabic Translation/DTP process, through SDL and/or Worldserver

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »