Thread poster: Tanya Quintieri
Tanya Quintieri
Tanya Quintieri
Local time: 03:45
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Love it Apr 27

Lefteris Kritikakis wrote:

Monitors come with their brightness set too high. Photography labs recommend that you set it at 100 cd/m2, which in the beginning looks a little low, but your eyes get used to it within 1 minute, and you'll never get back.
Not only will your photo prints match what you see on the screen in terms of brightness (no more "dark prints"), your eyes will thank you, and your electric bill will be lower.

Great tip! Thank you.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Another fact check Apr 27

and your electric bill will be lower.

The idea looks good, but doesn't quite stand a fact check. The most part of electric energy consumed by your monitor is used by its electronic circuitry whose power consumption does not depend on brightness. The backlight LEDs in your LCD screen consume very little. Let's assume that we have a 27" monitor (~0.2 m²) set to the recommended brightness of 100 cd/m², and that the angular distribution of screen radiation obeys Lambert's law. Then the luminous flux from the monitor will be ~60 lm. A good bright monitor at full brightness - say, 400 cd/m² - will accordingly radiate 240 lm. The difference is 180 lm. Take LEDs with a luminous efficacy of 150 lm/W, and assume that 50% of that is absorbed by the LCD panel structures, so the effective efficacy is 75 lm/W. Thus, by reducing the brightness from 400 to 100 cd/m², we save 2.4 W of electric power. Even if we never turn the monitor off and don't allow the computer to turn it off when we don't use it, this brightness reduction will save us a whopping 21 kWh/year, or about $4/year at the current U.S. rates - or a fraction of that if we use a laptop-sized monitor with normal screen saver settings.

1) Considering that the smallest active volcano in existence emits about 1 million times more carbon, on a monthly basis, than all printed documents with "rich fonts" in human history, I am all for capping them.

I get your sarcasm, but believe it or not, volcano eruptions actually cause the climate to cool down, so I propose to stimulate them instead!

[Edited at 2024-04-27 17:03 GMT]

Christopher Schröder

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 04:45
English to Russian
+ ...
And get another Late Antique Little Ice Age Apr 27

Anton Konashenok wrote:

I get your sarcasm, but believe it or not, volcano eruptions actually cause the climate to cool down, so I propose to stimulate them instead!

They say it was due to lots of volcanos erupting, and boy did it bring suffering to people. But here's a nagging question: just how is volcano carbon (and other elements) different from other carbon emissions to an extent such that the former produces cooling and the latter produces warming? First, there's some warming, and then comes an ice age. Am I wrong? I think I understand enough physics and chemistry to appreciate a qualified answer

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
... Apr 28

Monitors come with their brightness set too high. Photography labs recommend that you set it at 100 cd/m2, which in the beginning looks a little low, but your eyes get used to it within 1 minute, and you'll never get back.

How do you calibrate the brightness? Do you need a calibrator? My monitor is very bright at 100% (which I only use in very bright environments) but there is no cd indication.

Anton Konashenok wrote:

by reducing the brightness from 400 to 100 cd/m², we save 2.4 W of electric power

When we multiply this by the billions of monitor users, we'll get a quite big figure, and it's this collective effort that counts and makes an impact.

Christopher Schröder

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Volcanoes Apr 28

Denis Fesik wrote:
just how is volcano carbon (and other elements) different from other carbon emissions to an extent such that the former produces cooling and the latter produces warming? First, there's some warming, and then comes an ice age. Am I wrong? I think I understand enough physics and chemistry to appreciate a qualified answer

Volcanoes actually emit very little carbon dioxide, but huge amounts of sulfur dioxide and ash, both of which float in the upper atmosphere and increase the reflection of solar radiation back into space, causing a net cooling. These phenomena are quite rapid, and large eruptions have historically caused cold seasons all over the globe, including years 1601, 1783, 1816, 1883 and 1991.

Michele Fauble

Lefteris Kritikakis
Lefteris Kritikakis
United States
Local time: 20:45
Member (2023)
English to Greek
+ ...
Your eyes and monitor Apr 28

Anton Konashenok wrote:
A good bright monitor at full brightness - say, 400 cd/m² - will accordingly radiate 240 lm

You'll hurt your eyes and decrease monitor longevity.
You're right about the volcanoes.
But I'm not worried about temp increases by 1.5 degrees over 100 years (!). Temperature was never stable on this planet, and there was a time even Greenland was free of ice and full of life with temperature 30 degrees higher on the planet:
https://weather.com/science/nature/video/dna-reveals-what-greenland-looked-like-2-million-years-ago
I'm worried about the chemicals in the food supply and the environment in general. Out of control chemicals... as far as "temp may increase 1.5 degrees with current tech in 100 years", that sounds a bit like every other guess about climate in the last 70 years (and I have a collection of all of them).
Also, the choice of "ecological fonts" doesn't apply to translators - we rarely print. Even if it did, it borderlines psychosis.

PS. Let's prohibit printed books and bookstores. That's where the many fonts are. Force them to go electronic. Ah, and the neighbor's kid went to the movies yesterday. Her car emitted, just yesterday, more carbon than all the printed letters of my entire life.

[Edited at 2024-04-28 11:17 GMT]

Oriol VIP
Oriol VIP
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
In 14 years I have used less than one paper package Apr 29

I don't print basically anything and I always use the screen to work and process every single file.

I haven't sent one single paper bill to anyone in 14 years. It would have never occured to me doing so when you can simply use a PDF.

Thank God signature processes for NDAs and such are nowadays fully digitalized -I remember a time when you actually had to print, sign and scan the signed file.

However, I recently published a book and this did consume a lot of
... See more
I don't print basically anything and I always use the screen to work and process every single file.

I haven't sent one single paper bill to anyone in 14 years. It would have never occured to me doing so when you can simply use a PDF.

Thank God signature processes for NDAs and such are nowadays fully digitalized -I remember a time when you actually had to print, sign and scan the signed file.

However, I recently published a book and this did consume a lot of paper, I can't deny that! I'll join a tree planting initiative in the following days -thanks for making me think about this!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Share your tips on sustainable work practices

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »