delveneto
delveneto
United States
Local time: 22:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
PDF out of scanned file <- not the best option Nov 5, 2009

Claire Cox wrote:

..., having eventually managed to scan the document in manually and save it to pdf that way...

So, if I understood it correctly, you created a pdf file out of a picture then (a jpg or bmp file, for instance). If this is the case, your pdf file will not be searchable, will not be selectable and probably will be much bigger than it needs to be.

But, if this solves your problem and if your client doesn't bother, it's a way to go.

I would advise you to install OpenOffice, as someone already did, or the patch, if you have MS Office 2007.

[Edited at 2009-11-05 09:36 GMT]

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:06
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finereader Nov 5, 2009

Lesley Clarke wrote:

All you have to do go through all the normal motions to print the document. But at the top of the page it says what printer you want to use. Click on the arrow beside the name of the printer, and a you will see "PDF XChange for Abbyy PDF Transformer" as one of the options. Put it as the printer you want to use and press accept.

I do have the full version of Finereader, but it doesn't give me this option under printers. However I wonder if that's because I installed it without the Word toolbar additions as that causes huge problems with Wordfast (as I found to my cost!).

Solid does seem to work quite easily, though, so that's what I shall do in future if I never need to do this again.

Thanks again for all your help.

Claire

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:06
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't matter here Nov 5, 2009

delveneto wrote:

So, if I understood it correctly, you created a pdf file out of a picture then (a jpg or bmp file, for instance). If this is the case, your pdf file will not be searchable, will not be selectable and probably will be much bigger than it needs to be.

But, if this solves your problem and if your client doesn't bother, it's a way to go.

I would advise you to install OpenOffice, as someone already did, or the patch, if you have MS Office 2007.

[Edited at 2009-11-05 09:36 GMT]

It didn't actually matter in this instance as I was merely submitting pieces for assessment so they didn't need to be editable. In the end, that particular document wasn't suitable as it contained too many equations (aaagh!), However, it's been a very useful exercise and has taught me something I didn't know how to do before. I have MS Office 2003, not 2007, but I shall certainly consider Open Office if the need arises again in the future.

Many thanks.

Claire

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:06
Spanish to English
I also have wordfast Nov 5, 2009

and have also had to delete the word add-ins from Abbyy. I think you should write to abbyy for support, because you should have that facility.

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
pdf995 Nov 5, 2009

I like pdf995, also mentioned above by Luca.

This may not be relevant to your present need, but it is, as far as I know, the only free pdf maker that preserves hyperlinks if you are converting a Word document with hyperlinks to pdf.

Lucas Rayel
Lucas Rayel  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:06
English to Portuguese
+ ...
the best one! Nov 5, 2009

www.doc2pdf.net It's just the best out there

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert a word file to pdf?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »