Thread poster: Franz Holzer
Franz Holzer
Franz Holzer
Local time: 04:21
Greek to German
+ ...
Oct 3, 2017

Hello!
Everytime I add a new file to an existing project, followed by batchtask "preparing without memory" (sorry, I don't know how it is in english), I have to close and to open SDL, though I can begin translating.
Is this the only and common way to start a translation?

TIA

Laura Kingdon
Laura Kingdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:21
Member (2015)
French to English
+ ...
Go to another project... Oct 3, 2017

I haven't been able to start translating a new file added to an existing project right away, either, so if someone has a better answer, please do let me know...

But what works for me is to go to my list of projects and double-click on a different project - any project, it doesn't matter, just open it. Then return to the project list and open the project you actually want to work on. You should then be able to translate the file.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:21
English to Russian
Switch language flags Oct 3, 2017

I have only 2 projects for all files (English to Native and Native to English). Several years ago I understood that creating a project for each new assignment is just wasting my time.

I suppose that you cannot start translation because after the preparation batch task Trados remains in its source part.
When you close Trados or switch between projects, Trados reverts to its target part from where you can launch your translation.

So just switch the language flag [u
... See more
I have only 2 projects for all files (English to Native and Native to English). Several years ago I understood that creating a project for each new assignment is just wasting my time.

I suppose that you cannot start translation because after the preparation batch task Trados remains in its source part.
When you close Trados or switch between projects, Trados reverts to its target part from where you can launch your translation.

So just switch the language flag [upper left corner]. Trados won't do it automatically - how could it know that you may want to translate the file you just added... What if you add it just for fun.

[Edited at 2017-10-03 11:21 GMT]
Collapse

Franz Holzer
Franz Holzer
Greek to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What does "Switch flag" mean? Oct 3, 2017

Thank you Laura for your answer. But as mentioned, I use only one project too.

Stepan, thank to you too. What du you mean "switch flag". I do not have something like that in the upper left corner in Project view.

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:21
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Select your target language Oct 3, 2017

As Stepan has pointed out, the last step after preparing your files is to select the target language from the list of languages under Files in the upper left corner. It looks like this:

2017-10-03_100233

After adding a new file to a project and preparing it, Studio will show the list of files for the source language. You must then manually select your target language to display the list of translatable files.

If you're not seeing the Files pane with the language flags, it may be minimized and you would need to click on the right arrow at the top to maximize it:

2017-10-03_100526

Franz Holzer
Franz Holzer
Greek to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That solved it (me) :-) Oct 3, 2017

Thank you very much Nora, this was it. It was really minimized.

Thanks a lot to all of you guys and girls

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding new file to an existing project needs restart of Studio 2017

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »