"Linking payment" Scam where they make you work and thenmake you pay $110 to receive YOUR money
Thread poster: Roberto Govia
Roberto Govia
Roberto Govia  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 22, 2023

I will admit I did work on this half-expecting it was just a scam, after all, the main contact point was on Telegram.

But I expected that if it was a scam, they would just not pay me for my work, I did NOT expect them to try to pull the classic "You won the lottery, just pay us to mail you the check" kind of scam.

Once the job is done, they will ask for bank details for the transfer, pretend to make the transaction, and THEN ask you to pay them 110 USD to to "link" your
... See more
I will admit I did work on this half-expecting it was just a scam, after all, the main contact point was on Telegram.

But I expected that if it was a scam, they would just not pay me for my work, I did NOT expect them to try to pull the classic "You won the lottery, just pay us to mail you the check" kind of scam.

Once the job is done, they will ask for bank details for the transfer, pretend to make the transaction, and THEN ask you to pay them 110 USD to to "link" your account to theirs, otherwise your money is "on hold"

Basically, they just want to make the scam seem more legit by making you work for it.

Telegram handles:
@Mr_Franklin_Dave https://t.me/Mr_Franklin_Dave
@Managing_Directorr (https://t.me/Managing_Directorr)
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:05
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Lost for words (almost) Nov 23, 2023

Roberto Govia wrote:

Then why on earth did you proceed?

Dan

Lieven Malaise
ibz
P.L.F. Persio
Aurélien ARPAZ
Tanja Oresnik
Thiago Capatti
philgoddard

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
"Mr Franklin Dave" and "managing directorr"... Nov 24, 2023

... kind of give it away.

Can you at least report them to Telegram?

[Edited at 2023-11-24 19:32 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Linking payment" Scam where they make you work and thenmake you pay $110 to receive YOUR money

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »