Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Someone is posing as me
Thread poster: Helen Genevier
Helen Genevier
Helen Genevier  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:40
Apr 4, 2011

I just found out, after a call from a translation agency, that someone has been offering translation services, posing as me, using an email address that is not mine, [email protected]

Any ideas what I could do about it?

[Edited at 2011-04-04 12:07 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
And then.. Apr 4, 2011

and then they ask you why you use a pseudonym on your profile instead of your real/full name.

For all of those who ever ask this, the answer is in the introductory posting of this thread.

I really don't know what you can do about this. Once you have your info on any online portal that's connected to Google, you are exposed to uncontrollable personal data abuse.

Helen Genevier
France
TOPIC STARTER
Fair point but Apr 4, 2011

But I suppose they could use my pseudonym in the same way. At least they cannot prove they are Helen Genevier but I can.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:40
French to English
Obvious question Apr 4, 2011

I suppose you do actually know that this person does not, by coincidence, happen to have the same name as you?

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Coincidence, private eye investigation Apr 4, 2011

Charlie Bavington wrote:

I suppose you do actually know that this person does not, by coincidence, happen to have the same name as you?

What are the odds of this person having the identical name as she and offering the identical services?

Theo Bernards (X)
Theo Bernards (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to Dutch
+ ...
You could always contact Yahoo... Apr 4, 2011

because as far as I am aware all freemail providers state in their terms and conditions of use that you are not to use the email address for illegal purposes. They (rightfully) reserve the right to close the account. Given the fact that this person is impersonating you, that would in my opinion constitute as illegal (I am not a legal expert, but that would be my take on it).

Sonia Hill
Sonia Hill
United Kingdom
Italian to English
I wondered this too Apr 4, 2011

Charlie Bavington wrote:

There are a lot of people in the world with the same name, so it is a possibility.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Hummm not really Apr 4, 2011

Helen Genevier wrote:

But I suppose they could use my pseudonym in the same way. At least they cannot prove they are Helen Genevier but I can.

It's absurd using pseudonym on a CV, and if they have your real name, then can "create" any CV they like. Or act like you.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Provided that you are certain this is a scam Apr 4, 2011

I would find a very large file on the internet (50,000 words +), create my own free e-mail address and send this impostor a translation job. After she (or he) delivers the project, you can send them a letter from the "agency" informing them: Sorry, the real Helen already delivered the project two days ago.

Helen Genevier wrote:

I just found out, after a call from a translation agency, that someone has been offering translation services, posing as me, using an email address that is not mine, [email protected]

Any ideas what I could do about it?

[Edited at 2011-04-04 12:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-04-04 12:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-04-04 12:52 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
lol Apr 4, 2011

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

I would find a very large file on the internet (50,000 words +), create my own free e-mail address and send this impostor a translation job. After she (or he) delivers the project, you can send them a letter from the "agency" informing them: Sorry, the real Helen already delivered the project two days ago.

Good idea.

Yes, scammers do this. They find CVs of different translators online, then apply for jobs posing as them. In reality, the job is being done by a nonnative freelancer in India or China ( or some other destination).

Not sure if any such case had been reported in Scam forums, but it should be.

Helen Genevier
France
TOPIC STARTER
Definitely not someone with the same name Apr 4, 2011

The agency has sent me the translator form that the person filled in on the agency's website. They included a photo of me from ProZ, my DOB, my PhD thesis title and my work history. The only difference is a false phone number (last 2 digits differ from mine) where nobody answering to the name of Helen lives, and a variety of language combinations including Swedish, English, French and German, for a rate of 0.05.

Sonia Hill
Sonia Hill
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Report it to the police Apr 4, 2011

In this case it sounds like identity fraud, so it might be worth reporting it to the police and then emailing the address in question to let them know you have done so. I don't know whether the police will be much help, but it's worth a try. If this person is taking on work in your name, they will have to provide the agencies with their bank details etc., so it should be possible to trace them.

Good luck sorting it out. It must be a horrible situation!

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
fair enough then Apr 4, 2011

you'll probably need the agency's help to establish exactly who it is (bank a/c name?) but after that, I guess report to the appropriate authority (assume from what you say about phone no. that this person also in France?)

I didn't mean to sound disbelieving or anything before, merely to inject a note of caution before making assumptions... which in fact proved to be correct, as it turned out.

Helen Genevier
France
TOPIC STARTER
Imposter probably not in France Apr 4, 2011

The imposter has taken my French phone number and changed it a bit, but it does not appear to be the imposter's number either. The agent and imposter have only communicated via email.

I am trying to find how to contact yahoo about identity theft, to close the account, as Theo suggested, though haven't yet found how to do this. I am also trying to find out which French police department might deal with this kind of case (fraudulent use of personal and business identity).

... See more
The imposter has taken my French phone number and changed it a bit, but it does not appear to be the imposter's number either. The agent and imposter have only communicated via email.

I am trying to find how to contact yahoo about identity theft, to close the account, as Theo suggested, though haven't yet found how to do this. I am also trying to find out which French police department might deal with this kind of case (fraudulent use of personal and business identity).

The agency does not have the imposter's banking info, because the job had not yet been delivered.

Thanks everyone for ideas so far.
Collapse

nordiste
nordiste  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
new law in France "usurpation d'identiét sur Internet" Apr 4, 2011

There is a new law in France together with the general law regarding Internet security Loppsi2

Here some explanation in French
http://www.juritravail.com/Actualite/web/Id/7041

You can report to your local police office, they should help you to file the case.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Someone is posing as me

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »